Return to “Games”

Re: Pine

Zanteogo wrote:
IronDuke wrote:
Zanteogo wrote:My jaded prediction:

This game ends up releaseing as a water downed watered-down version of its self with one or two mildly interesting features.
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Talvieno wrote:The more I think about it, the more I want this to be a thing... and the more I'm worried it won't be.
What? Grammar Nazis or the game? Because the first already exist...
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Talvieno wrote:The more I think about it, the more I want this to be a thing... and the more I'm worried it won't be.
I have to ask, what exactly draws you to this game?

From what I gathered the game's selling points are:

It has an adaptive combat AI;
So if you play a character who blocks a bunch, the AI will start to use block breaking attacks...
I don't find this to be a big deal to be honest.

The main races change over time;
Interesting, depending on how it's done. If it's done with the changes being random and the game uses a "survival of the fittest" model so that successful change reproduce. Perhaps...
However, I see this to be a interesting feature on paper, but not so interesting in practice.

The main races compete with each other, the player can work with or against them;
Has the possibility of being interesting, but the whole factions competing thing has been done before.

I'm personally not a massive fan of the art style either.
My Signature

Talvieno wrote:The game, of course. :lol:
Hahaha, okay. Just wanted some clarification there. ^^

Zanteogo wrote:

From what I gathered the game's selling points are:

It has an adaptive combat AI;
So if you play a character who blocks a bunch, the AI will start to use block breaking attacks...
I don't find this to be a big deal to be honest.

The main races change over time;
Interesting, depending on how it's done. If it's done with the changes being random and the game uses a "survival of the fittest" model so that successful change reproduce. Perhaps...
However, I see this to be a interesting feature on paper, but not so interesting in practice.

The main races compete with each other, the player can work with or against them;
Has the possibility of being interesting, but the whole factions competing thing has been done before.

I'm personally not a massive fan of the art style either.
Man. YOu really know how to lower someones expectations... :(
Nothing to see here

Zanteogo wrote:
I like AI, and particularly adaptive AI. That's about it. :) Unfortunately, that's not something you ever see in a game.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

JanB1 wrote:
Man. YOu really know how to lower someones expectations... :(
Sorry. ;)

I just have seen this very same thing be attempted before, and the end result is almost always is the same.

Lets keep our fingers crossed I guess?
My Signature

Every time I see this thread, my mind always inserts "Proser" at the beginning of the title. :?
I am Groot.
Please don't take my advice. You will wind up in jail if you do.
For some reason, I feel obliged to display how many people have talked in IRC over the past 2 hours: Image :problem:
:ugeek:

The developers of Pine have posted a new blog entry that discusses the main components of the underlying world-simulation, and how the core active gameplay modes should interact with and be supported by the world-simulation layer.

It's a nice look at how the Pine devs are tackling the kind of systemic ecology design that LT also wants to deliver.

Pine's developers have released a new Kickstarter update, and they continue to post progress notes on their blog.

I'm still not sure the art style's not too cutesy. But it may turn out to be right for the game they're making, which so far I'm impressed with. The concept, design, artwork, and project management all seem professional-grade. If the gameplay is as good, I'm hopeful for this one.

Online Now