Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: Friday, March 17, 2017

Wow, some amazing pics coming our way! Congratulations for the solid progress, Josh, and thanks for keeping us all informed.
JoshParnell wrote: Also, I turned the UI off for most of the shots so you guys can have some new wallpapers :squirrel:
Although I am sure the community appreciates that, what about those of us that are UI lovers? We haven't had a pretty LT UI shinny in literally years! Thrown some UIs on us one of those days, could you? 8-)

Vartul wrote:The stress test pics don't look like space at all. It looks like a bloody cave.
At long last, it can now be revealed: Josh has actually been working on a remake of Descent.

No, not really.
Dromeda5 wrote:what about those of us that are UI lovers? We haven't had a pretty LT UI shinny in literally years! Thrown some UIs on us one of those days, could you? 8-)
While I'm good with letting Josh finish the "entity conversion" and reassignment of core/control code, I'll admit that I, too, really enjoyed some of the UI candy that Josh invented for LT.

I don't even mean the "Limit Theory" gameplay UI. Just look at this frame grab from about 21:30 into the Limit Theory Development Update #10 video:
Image I can imagine using something like this to explore and map databases. I would immediately become the coolest kid on the block. (The kids on my block are really geeky.)

So while I'm perfectly good with Josh getting to UI whenever -- maybe as a break from converting gameplay functions, or as key task -- it sure would be neat to see a version of this kind of data editor come to life as a standalone tool (that could be directly integrated into LT, because that seems to have been its original role).

I'm not sure if I'm entirely alone in this (some people were certainly unhappy at the time about the amount of effort being spent on it), but when Josh was spending month after month on experimental UI concepts I was a really happy Kickstarter backer. I didn't care about the consequent delays, because I could envisage that the Limit Theory UI -- something we will ultimately spend a great many hours with -- was likely to end up being really amazing, and really different to all the other games out there. Some of the node tree navigation videos were spectacularly cool. I didn't want him to settle for something that was like the other games, so I was genuinely sorry when the experiments came to an end and the interface started to become more familiar-looking.

I hope that all the cool experimental interfaces are still possible in the current code.

jarl wrote:
Zanteogo wrote:
Talvieno wrote:Summary is up. Hopefully my ability to translate tech-speak hasn't failed me. :lol:
Sorry, where is it up? Cannot seem to locate it.
It's been added to the bottom of Josh's OP in this thread, there's a line and then his paraphrasing.
Thanks!
My Signature

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Vartul wrote:Holy shit. The stress test pics don't look like space at all. It looks like a bloody cave. Image
Its joshs variation of hyperspace, cavespace :ghost:
... that pun was so bad, it made me come out of lurking mode again. (so good job on that one)

+
shinys
techtalk

-
Josh was awake all night long again

7/10 devlog, would read again.
More people want exploding kittens than exploding ships. Somehow, this makes me happy.
- credits go to dwmagus

MP X10L wrote:What I am wondering is: is the AI capable of navigating through cavespace?
Because THAT would make my X3-monkey extremely happy. :jumping:

It shouldn't be all that hard. Build an asteroid, then using subtractive brushes dig out a tunnel. Take each of these subtractive meshes and merge them. Instant 3D navimesh. If they get near a side that exits to space the they could follow through the internals.

But I doubt that Josh will bother with that, as I expect most of the combat in LT is going to be basically open space combat.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Employee 2-4601 wrote:I'm not sure if I'm entirely alone in this (some people were certainly unhappy at the time about the amount of effort being spent on it), but when Josh was spending month after month on experimental UI concepts I was a really happy Kickstarter backer. I didn't care about the consequent delays, because I could envisage that the Limit Theory UI -- something we will ultimately spend a great many hours with -- was likely to end up being really amazing, and really different to all the other games out there. Some of the node tree navigation videos were spectacularly cool. I didn't want him to settle for something that was like the other games, so I was genuinely sorry when the experiments came to an end and the interface started to become more familiar-looking.

I hope that all the cool experimental interfaces are still possible in the current code.
I would like to think that, having sunk ample time into picking the right foundation, now there is a better chance than ever to have a fresh, informative and intuitive user interface that at the same time does not feel sluggish.
You cannot not communicate.
Paul Watzlawick - 1st Axiom

Employee 2-4601 wrote:I'm not sure if I'm entirely alone in this (some people were certainly unhappy at the time about the amount of effort being spent on it), but when Josh was spending month after month on experimental UI concepts I was a really happy Kickstarter backer. I didn't care about the consequent delays, because I could envisage that the Limit Theory UI -- something we will ultimately spend a great many hours with -- was likely to end up being really amazing, and really different to all the other games out there. Some of the node tree navigation videos were spectacularly cool. I didn't want him to settle for something that was like the other games, so I was genuinely sorry when the experiments came to an end and the interface started to become more familiar-looking.

New and fancy and "really different" doesnt mean that its good, though

JoshParnell wrote: And I used to call them "Objects," now I call them "Entities" because I see that a lot in game engines :P Same thing though.
So how many entities will we possibly have for LT 1.0?
I figure that planets, asteroids, ships, stations, ai (don't forget about the manager ai's giving buy and sell orders to the miner ai, who do all the heavy lifting), pirate ai etc.
When i fire a missile or laser, do these become entities as well (as they'll have a vector and "time to live" element)?
How many more entities are there?
:geek:
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Online Now