Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: Friday, March 17, 2017

Talvieno wrote:It's a neat idea, but unfortunately things change over the course of a month, and it would probably be better to recompile. :P

As to where I get the time from... well, it's my job, isn't it? :lol:
Suppose so...thanks!

Now I'm worried I might not make employee of the month this time :ghost: :roll:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Just amazing Josh! :shock: :clap:

What i'd really like to see is a UI based tape measure. Able to *select* 2 points and have the distance between the object displayed. It would help(me) distill the vastness of space..............select 2 asteroids....a line is drawn between them ....displaying the distance and size of the 2 objects(). Right now...I'm not sure if they are 50 meters from each other or 10,000. Or their size?

Star Citizen is great at getting the scale right..because I can see myself(a 6' astronaut) floating/standing next to large objects. ...OH! that ship/planet/asteroid is HUGE!

Keep up the great work!

kostuek wrote:I have to admit, I have no idea, what's going on anymore... We went back to C (wasn't the LT core in C or C++ anyways?) and added a new word "entity" to the whole thing and now it's 1000x faster than it was ever before? :think: OK then... I guess, we will see...
No we're definitely not 1000x faster than LTC++. That'd be amazing. The 'orders of magnitude' part only applies to the LuaJIT version vs. the C version. As for the speed gain over the old C++ engine, it's purely due to me being a better, more processor-aware programmer.

And I used to call them "Objects," now I call them "Entities" because I see that a lot in game engines :P Same thing though.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

So your update sounds amazing. It looks like you're having a few genuine breakthroughs here!
I think about my frustration with minecraft and what it can handle and I see the progress you're making and I just know what universe will likely be better in allowing me to use my imagination. It's rare to get to see someone with real creative vision push so hard to make it happen, and you're doing all the hard work.
Getting results is great ofc, but it's also great to be rewarded for all the time you spent acquiring your skills.
I really like your post.

There is only one thing that worries me.
JoshParnell wrote:Friday, March 17, 2017

I worked all night implementing the entity system in the LT Core

Yeah, that was a weird way of saying it. I didn't sleep last night, let's blame it on that :roll:
Bad Josh! Bad. If you want to work towards another burnout, pulling all nighters is a great thing to start doing.

Patronising sounding JFSOCC ahead.

I understand the desire to do it "now, when it's fresh in my head and I'm inspired." But keeping a healthy sleep rhythm is more important in the long run. It's great when you succeed, but the temptation to keep doing it won't go away. For me it led to frayed nerves and frustration that I had had a burnout not once but twice! even after I learned from my first!

so learn from my mistake and be healthy. I got some math of my own: rested=more productive.

Great update, I see in you an artist and a visionary. Gaining wisdom all the time, I think you'll go far.

Online Now