Return to “General”

New Combat Prototype

Question for the powers that be here ...

What would be the odds of a new combat prototype being released?

Not immediately soon of course, but just in general once things coalesce a bit more. I ask because the old one was released several years ago, and I'm guessing it's not really representative of things now.

And before people start jumping down my throat with "What would you rather have Josh do, spend time coding the actual game or farting around trying to make something run?" type responses, I base my question on the fact that Josh himself said he was planning to keep the latest PAX demo in running order anyway. I'm just suggesting this demo gets released as a combat prototype sometime down the road, once enough systems are in place that it's worth testing out on various hardware and see how it performs, before it gets to a beta stage and it's too late to change course again.
Re: New Combat Prototype

Talvieno wrote:It's a good question, Jeisler. I've actually thought about that myself. Keep in mind, though, that if it happened, it would only be released to those that backed at the $75 level - the level for the prototype. I'll ask Josh about it and see what he thinks.
I happen to be one of said backers, which is why I ask :lol:

But even if I weren't... I'd like to see it happen. Get a little exposure, get some feedback from a handful of people, gather data, etc. I don't expect it to be anytime soon, but I figured it'd be worth doing sometime before things get into beta territory.

Talvieno wrote:It's a good question, Jeisler. I've actually thought about that myself. Keep in mind, though, that if it happened, it would only be released to those that backed at the $75 level - the level for the prototype. I'll ask Josh about it and see what he thinks.
It is not important, but arguably this is not the only possble chain of reasoning.
The 75$ backers have actually recieved their extra goodie. They are the only ones that actually got something without years of delay. So if another prototype comes out, which was not planned and hence was not a kickstarter perk (call it with another name if the word "prototype" is too connected to a reward, such as "combat teaser"), it could arguably be considered an extra goodie for all the ever-so-patient backers.
This is just a thought but I guess it would actually be rather fair to sort of "reward" the backers for their patience - fairer than limiting distribution to 75$ level.
Not that it is important for me, as I am an exclusive Mac user and prototypes are always windoze :(

Dinosawer wrote:
0111narwhalz wrote:
CSE wrote: Not that it is important for me, as I am an exclusive Mac user and prototypes are always windoze :(
I think this one is actually built on Linux.
Built on Linux, (at least) running on Linux and Windows
While I know that theoretically, macOs is also built on unix, this still does not really mean it will work out of the box, or.... will it?
(Ok, my age is showing. Out of touch. Few decades ago, I would have impressed you with VMS, HPUX and other Solaris system knowledge. Even smaky :lol: )

This is a great question. I think it wouldn't hurt if Josh gets to a point that he'd like some feedback.

I don't think we'll see this anytime soon. As in before Summer. If he gets to a point where there's AI, some missions, or really anything to interact without in space, it could be useful to see what people think.

Let's be honest, I just want to shoot all the space lasers at all the things. And I'd like to shoot the newest space lasers at the newest things!
Shoot ALL the things!

CSE wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:
0111narwhalz wrote: I think this one is actually built on Linux.
Built on Linux, (at least) running on Linux and Windows
While I know that theoretically, macOs is also built on unix, this still does not really mean it will work out of the box, or.... will it?
(Ok, my age is showing. Out of touch. Few decades ago, I would have impressed you with VMS, HPUX and other Solaris system knowledge. Even smaky :lol: )
Built on FreeBSD with a different kernel.

If LT can be compiled under Clang/LLVM as well as GCC it will run virtually anywhere. I personally hope he will test compile it under Clang/LLVM.
procedurally generated comment

Online Now