Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: PS4 vs $750 PC

Talvieno wrote:No, don't think I can, Silver. I don't think they make a PS4 that will run non-PS4 software for $510.

edit: Also, in case it wasn't absolutely clear, see the topic title. :ghost: I'm saying a low-end $750 PC can totally outdo a PS4. I don't really care what the PS4 costs.
Talvieno wrote:$400? Yeah, no thanks, I'll stick to something that can do many times more for less than twice the price. (A PC)
We found a new initial price point, your $750 is now triple the price not double.

Your failure to get results disturbs me. :ghost:
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Talvieno wrote:No, don't think I can, Silver. I don't think they make a PS4 that will run non-PS4 software for $510.

edit: Also, in case it wasn't absolutely clear, see the topic title. :ghost: I'm saying a low-end $750 PC can totally outdo a PS4. I don't really care what the PS4 costs.
It can. Just not for playing games, as far as performance goes.

e: although Silver in quintessential contrariness makes some great points too wrt console capabilities :P

Talvieno wrote:During this conversation, I've been doing my research. :)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Nt2k7h

$650, and I went overboard on the hard drive and RAM.
Shave the cooler off, cpu comes with one. Drop the OS, nobody pays for an OS, thats just dumb.
Thats down to $550 for you then. Much closer.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Boy reading this thread sure was a roller coaster experience :crazy: I'm glad everything ended in civility, was starting to look like someone was going to get their eye shot out.

I'll add my two cents of snark:
Silverware wrote:Console has browser, browser is webkit based and has javascript, javascript can and does do anything, ergo console can do anything.
And given enough time, ink, and paper, we can compute any computable problem using a pen-and-paper Turing machine, ergo paper can do anything :V :ghost:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:Boy reading this thread sure was a roller coaster experience :crazy: I'm glad everything ended in civility, was starting to look like someone was going to get their eye shot out.

I'll add my two cents of snark:
Silverware wrote:Console has browser, browser is webkit based and has javascript, javascript can and does do anything, ergo console can do anything.
And given enough time, ink, and paper, we can compute any computable problem using a pen-and-paper Turing machine, ergo paper can do anything :V :ghost:
a man approaches in the distance

he alights in front of me, looks me deeply in the eye

a single tear rolls across a creased, old face, it holds wisdom and too much knowledge

he takes a deep breath, and whispers, softly but urgently

'pc master race u console pleb'

and for a moment i know only a pure, clean rage

In any case, the comparison is silly anyway. In this day and age, who doesn't need a computer or laptop? Even if you get a PS4, you still need one of those since it's hard to browse on a PS4 afaik :P
So really, what you should be comparing is
a cheap pc + a PS4 vs. a more expensive pc
Given that it's hard to find a pc below 400 bucks, you can buy 2 devices to do what you want, or you can get 1 that does both better.
:ghost:
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote:In any case, the comparison is silly anyway. In this day and age, who doesn't need a computer or laptop? Even if you get a PS4, you still need one of those since it's hard to browse on a PS4 afaik :P
So really, what you should be comparing is
a cheap pc + a PS4 vs. a more expensive pc
Given that it's hard to find a pc below 400 bucks, you can buy 2 devices to do what you want, or you can get 1 that does both better.
:ghost:
Mobile phones.

Pretty much a requirement in today's world, and allows you to browse the internet, watch cat videos, update social media, visit IRC etc. and also call friends, whatever they are. I contest that you can find a device capable of doing all that for well under $400, and it replaces most people's need for a PC.

Not only that, but you've all missed something that makes the comparison to a desktop PC entirely pointless: if I want to go and see the missus or family members, I can pack up a console and carry it to the car, or at a stretch over a short walk. This makes it more akin to a laptop than a desktop PC.

Now go and find a laptop with the same specs as a PS4 and tell me I'd be better off buying that.
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)

Online Now