Return to “Games”

Hawkspears: DF Succession Game (Discussion)

Update Thread

So, would there be any interest in an LT-community-based Dwarf Fortress succession game?

For the uninformed, it's rather simple: One person starts a game, and plays for a year/six months/however long ingame. During this, they record the major events in the fortress in the form of a story in the succession thread. Then, after their year/six months/however long is up, they pass the save to the next person in line. That player gets an equal amount of time to play the save and write about major events before it's inevitably passed to the next player, and so on.

Bottom line: You do not have to be good at Dwarf Fortress to participate! If you come in later on, the other players will have already laid the major groundwork for you, and the fortress will be in stable condition. (in a manner of speaking, anyway - it'll be harder for you to die than if you played by yourself. :D) Actually, the very best succession games are made up out of inexperienced players that send the fort spiraling to destruction as all hell breaks loose, because reading about it is of course the most fun. :)

So, I'm just making this post here to see if anyone would be interested. If we have enough people willing to take on LT Dorfs, I could start up a new, official thread for it. There was some slight interest in IRC, and I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. :)

((rulers and dorfing has been moved to the main thread))
Last edited by Talvieno on Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Reason: edit mark
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image
Re: Dwarf Fortress Succession Game

I'd like to sign up too. Someone has to compete with Cuisinart8 over the question who'll destroy us all XD

Sadly I won't have time over the week due to quite a mass of stuff to do at work, so I'll probably only have time over the weekends to really sink some hours into the game. :|

Also, anything known about the preffered version of the game yet? Or external Utilities? Tile-Sets and Stuff?

You see, I'm using the Lazy Noob Package, though I only use the Announcement Window and the Dwarf therapist...and lately DFHack for the Seedwatch (Will stop that though).

I also have no clue how to reset/set another Tileset or the original XD Don't want that to become a problem ._.
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -
Re: Dwarf Fortress Succession Game

0111narwhalz wrote:Begins studying the differences between trees and grass...
I'm down. If not to play, I'll certainly spectate.
:D Hope you decide to join! Remember, you have a whole community here willing to help you out if you have any questions, and Losing is Fun!™ :squirrel: Also, losing is fun because the very best succession forts had heavy elements of loss and struggling to survive.

Actually, the very best forts follow a particular pattern:

- Newbish players, or good players making stupid decisions
- Picture and text updates
- Update text written in the form of upbeat (non-depressed) roleplay
- Everything going straight to hell despite the players' best attempts
cuisinart8 wrote:I have pretty much no DF experience, so despite (or because of, perhaps) that I very well might join as well! I'd probably be the last person to play, honestly :lol:
As long as you know how to pull levers, make booze and the difference between stairs/channels, you're golden. :D
F4wk35 wrote:I'd like to sign up too. Someone has to compete with Cuisinart8 over the question who'll destroy us all XD
I suppose it largely depends on whether or not DWMagus wrecks us in the first year. :lol:
Sadly I won't have time over the week due to quite a mass of stuff to do at work, so I'll probably only have time over the weekends to really sink some hours into the game. :|
Perfectly fine, as long as you're diligent about it. We'll probably have real-world time limits for each overseer, to keep things moving smoothly between players.
Also, anything known about the preffered version of the game yet? Or external Utilities? Tile-Sets and Stuff?
Not decided. Usually players opt for the latest game version, just because it's hard to play anything else unless you dislike external utilities.
You see, I'm using the Lazy Noob Package, though I only use the Announcement Window and the Dwarf therapist...and lately DFHack for the Seedwatch (Will stop that though).
"I'm using this, although the only thing I'm using in it is this... oh, and this... and I guess this too... oh, and DFHack, but only for this... and sometimes placing magma, water, etc... and getting rid of ghosts, and sometimes cleaning the fort... and sometimes I guess I might put down some artifact adamantine weaponry too..." :P

...actually I'm personally guilty of having done all those. :D But not in a succession game. That's off-limits. Use of DFHack in a succession game is typically forbidden because it screws with everything and can make it difficult for other players to load the game.

LNP is fine to use. Fixing things back up afterwards is easy, and making sure that players can actually tell what's going on can be a godsend if you're not playing among veterans (which we aren't). I might download LNP myself for this game for that exact reason.
I also have no clue how to reset/set another Tileset or the original XD Don't want that to become a problem ._.
Easily done, either manually or through LNP. Most tilesets replace a lot of things in the raws (base game database files), so naturally all you have to do is replace the save's raws with backups.
Dinosawer wrote:Which version should I get?
Probably the most recent one, but you don't have to worry about it until it's your turn, really. :P If we do two-week turns, it could be a couple months before it's your turn, for example.

That's also part of why I want us to have at least ten potential players before we actually start - that way we're sure we'll have enough, one way or another. People cancelling on their turn is a common occurrence. :?
Baile nam Fonn wrote:My preference has historically been Ironhand. :monkey: This is the tileset which Bleaktea used for his legendary fort Glazedcoast.
I personally prefer Phoebus. :)

Current potential people: (7 so far)
Talvieno
Baile nam Fonn
DWMagus
0111narwhalz
Dinosawer
Cuisinart
Fawkes
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Online Now