Return to “General”

Re: What will you try and achieve when the full game comes o

Damocles wrote:Now demanding the multiplayer to be able to handle more and more, will make it more likely not to exist at all.

Apart from the technical side (networking code, keeping persistence, balancing, handling lag and dead reckoning, server costs and administration, cheating etc...)
There is one major issue with any "smaller" multiplayer game:

if there are not enough people playing it live, there will never be enough people playing it live.
Games relying on a live audience, simply require a live audience any time a player logs in. Else they are just empty worlds,
making the players who would be a potential audience to leave shortly after.
So you need a critical mass for a real time multiplayer game to work.

Thats why Im making some more realistic suggestions to implement some multi-user interaction to an otherwise
singleplayer oriented game. (single player oriented both in design and technology).
There is a reason why I would be focusing on getting the player-owned npc ships as a critical part of the game.
Players wouldnt need to be as active as they could set their empire up, and it would produce two types of players.

Those building their own empires, and carving out the stars.
And those flying around working for those empires.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:
Damocles wrote:Now demanding the multiplayer to be able to handle more and more, will make it more likely not to exist at all.

Apart from the technical side (networking code, keeping persistence, balancing, handling lag and dead reckoning, server costs and administration, cheating etc...)

if there are not enough people playing it live, there will never be enough people playing it live.
Games relying on a live audience, simply require a live audience any time a player logs in. Else they are just empty worlds,

Thats why Im making some more realistic suggestions to implement some multi-user interaction to an otherwise
singleplayer oriented game. (single player oriented both in design and technology).
There is a reason why I would be focusing on getting the player-owned npc ships as a critical part of the game.
Players wouldnt need to be as active as they could set their empire up, and it would produce two types of players.

Sounds just like EVE Online but with more agents. :V

Who wants to take bets on how long it takes Silver to drop the half finished project??
I'll give him 2 months max.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Black--Snow wrote:
Silverware wrote:

Sounds just like EVE Online but with more agents. :V

Who wants to take bets on how long it takes Silver to drop the half finished project??
I'll give him 2 months max.
Yeah, and that's when the rest of you get to finish my solid start to the work. :V
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020

I also have the habit to start many (purely as a hobby) game projects, and have them not at a finished state.

Thats why I try to keep them smaller now, so they can at least get to a minimum playable state. (not just separate tech modules and prototypes)
Wich is also good for motivation, in case I abandon them yet again. At least when revisiting them, they let me get into the game quickly again.
But its just too much fun to try out a new idea :P

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Silverware wrote: Yeah, and that's when the rest of you get to finish my solid start to the work. :V
//LTMPM 0.0.1 by Silverware
port.open([randomhardcodedip],[randomhardcodedportnumber]);
msg(port, "test");
port.close();

EOF
Man you obviously haven't seen my code. I would have offloaded ALL of that work to libraries and configuration files.
Then rewritten the library.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Silverware wrote: Man you obviously haven't seen my code. I would have offloaded ALL of that work to libraries and configuration files.
Then rewritten the library.
No, because you'd have lost interest long before that and leave the three lines i used as example as "solid foundation"
:V
Cornflakes knows how it is.
Actually he'd leave a half rewritten library because he got bored of rewriting it then say it's a good start. :V
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Online Now