Return to “General”

Re: What would you cut from v1 to accelerate its release?

bkdevil wrote: I read all the posts leading up to this one. I understand where you're coming from, but my answer is still going to be "cut nothing". I want to see LT 1.0 as it exists in Josh's dream. I don't want to play LT Lite tomorrow and then the full version in 2 years. I'd rather wait out the 2 years. And if waiting for a feature truly means that the game can never, ever exist, oh well. There are a thousand other games out there that have *some* of the features LT 1.0 is supposed to have (and possibly all of them if we start cutting features), I can just play them.
The difference between LTLight now and no LTLight is that josh could start selling it and get a steady source of revenue to continue working, though.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:The difference between LTLight now and no LTLight is that josh could start selling it and get a steady source of revenue to continue working, though.
*sigh* I'll be honest, I just really, really dislike the whole "early access" release model and I probably let that fact disrupt my thinking on questions like this one.

To the question, what would I cut to accelerate release, I would still say nothing. To the question, what I would I cut to save the game from never being released, I should be a more reasonable person. To actually see something materialize I would say I could lose:

- Intelligence gathering / selling / the whole intelligence broker role
- Planet colonization
- Mod support

I apologize for refusing to think about the question because of a bias I have towards the whole pay for beta release types that there are so many of nowadays.

bkdevil wrote:*snip*
Yeah, I agree whole heartedly. As long as LT is still being released I am wanting a full release with nothing withheld, but I'm more than happy making a concession for features if LT were at risk of not being completed.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

The other side of the coin is that games that have "forever" post release development do have a feeling of always being "fresh" to a certain degree. The other bonus is once the game is released the pressure to cut conners is much lesser making the post release patch content possibly of higher quality.

Would I wait 5 more years for a fully completed LT? If need be. I do feel bad for the older members who may not live to see the release however.... (I'm "older", but not to the point that LT development will probably out live myself thankfully)
My Signature

I don't know if you guys play any Paradox games, but there is a sort of a love-hate relationship when you do the extended release format. Paradox has kept many of their games in at least some level of development for five years or more, releasing free updates and DLC of various sizes. Zanteogo hits the nail on the head with the benefit of the game feeling fresh for a longer period of time due to the gradual changes that are made to the game. However, the downside is that often games with this time of development schedule aren't very good at release and can take a few years before they're any good, which can affect the reputation of the game. At this point, I feel that the reputation damage has already been done and it may be best to adopt such a development schedule.

masseffect7 wrote:I don't know if you guys play any Paradox games, but there is a sort of a love-hate relationship when you do the extended release format. Paradox has kept many of their games in at least some level of development for five years or more, releasing free updates and DLC of various sizes. Zanteogo hits the nail on the head with the benefit of the game feeling fresh for a longer period of time due to the gradual changes that are made to the game. However, the downside is that often games with this time of development schedule aren't very good at release and can take a few years before they're any good, which can affect the reputation of the game. At this point, I feel that the reputation damage has already been done and it may be best to adopt such a development schedule.
Just because the release version is not as good as the final version (post 7/10 years DLC and patches) doesn't mean that the initial version is actually bad.

Take the most recent Paradox releases with this model, Stellaris and HoI4.
Both have an obvious end-goal that will be absolutely smashing.

But both were 100% playable and fun from day zero.

We aren't talking a Call of Doody, or a Battleshit game here. Where the initial version is garbage, and the patches remove features.
But something developed by people who REALLY care about the output game.

All hail Paradox Development!
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

masseffect7 wrote:@Silver I felt that Stellaris and HOI4 were not very good at first.
They were not perfect sure, but damn i had a ton of fun with both at 1.0

Tribel wrote:
Silverware wrote:All hail Paradox Development!
I love Paradox games, but I am honestly not a fan of the DLC-fest.
This is true, the sheer number of DLC can be daunting, and I would not recommend this approach for most games.
Instead I would go with a phased release policy. DLC is released, sits around for 6 months or a year, then gets integrated into the core game.
So that people who dont have the money can still play the game in it's entirety a year after you finish all development on it.

But what Paradox do is much closer to the original Idea of expansion packs than any other developer currently working.
(Except maybe EA with the Sims, they still havent moved from the sims 1 model of expansion packs.)
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Feeling "fresh" is not something I care about at all. That's a really odd argument for promoting DLC because it's 250% subjective. X3 doesn't feel fresh to me at all, but I still happily play Albion Prelude with more enthusiasm than the 'fresher' X: rebirth.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Black--Snow wrote:Feeling "fresh" is not something I care about at all. That's a really odd argument for promoting DLC because it's 250% subjective. X3 doesn't feel fresh to me at all, but I still happily play Albion Prelude with more enthusiasm than the 'fresher' X: rebirth.
AP is the most recent expansion pack of X3, though :roll: (whichs base version is over a decade old by now ._. )

(And XR is simply a different game which broke for the largest part with the previous X games, so its not entirely fair to compare those)

Online Now