Return to “General”

Re: ship editor

bkdevil wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:They dont need to know everything to see that your ship is a weapon bristling fortress, though.
Absolutely true, but how much they can tell about me will determine how much police forces could be deceived. Your suggested generic formula requires that any ship looking at me has to have some idea of my offensive capabilities. It's easy to count the number of weapons I have strapped to my ship, but will it be easy for them to tell if that single laser cannon is some super upgraded death beam the likes of which they've never seen in that sector?
Naturally, the police wouldn't catch every instance of megadeathstar entering their system, just as normal border police won't catch every drug smuggler or arms dealer crossing their border. I think the police should have ship scanners that are able to look at certain subsystems and hard points of a ship depending on the ships' resistance to radiation/scanning and the scanning technology of the police ships.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

BFett wrote:What kind of restraints (if any) should be applied to the ship designer? Should there be limits to ship hard points such as engines, thrusters and turrets? What about weapon classes and types?
I think limits should be in the form of exponential costs or natural effects of the square-cube law.

0111narwhalz wrote:
BFett wrote:What kind of restraints (if any) should be applied to the ship designer? Should there be limits to ship hard points such as engines, thrusters and turrets? What about weapon classes and types?
I think limits should be in the form of exponential costs or natural effects of the square-cube law.
That might be fine for ammo dependent items but what about items which rely on energy? I suppose you would try to have a net limit on the power plant that powers the entire vessel and use some sort of limiting factors so that you can't equip a destroyer engine to a fighter. Or should that kind of thing be possible but not practical due to fuel/energy consumption?

BFett wrote:I suppose you would try to have a net limit on the power plant that powers the entire vessel and use some sort of limiting factors so that you can't equip a destroyer engine to a fighter. Or should that kind of thing be possible but not practical due to fuel/energy consumption?
why should you limit the enery production artificially?

give every hardpoint some volume cost and there you go.

a fighter cant mount destroyer sized equipment because the parts are larger than the fighter itself.

BFett wrote:I'm not suggesting an artificial limit on energy production, I'm suggesting that only so much energy can be used before you start burning out the engine of the ship. It's the same reason why you can't overclock a computer to make it 100 times faster than it usually is.
when you have the extra space to put a so grossly oversized reactor into the ship why dont you use a smaller reactor and a larger engine for the same total space and very likely higher efficiency than a such highly overclocked small engine?

Online Now