Return to “Announcements”

Re: Limit Theory @ PAX South!

Truth be told, when I found out, I was tempted to fly down to San Antonio for a day or two and hit up with Sky and Flat so we could do one last live-action podcast and finally get Josh in on it...

But schedule didn't allow it. :ghost:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

JoshParnell wrote:a data-driven approach to handling the problem of "LT has too much stuff going on" may be a piece of the puzzle. I figured, with function call & hotspotting overhead in LJ, my best approach was to go for data-driven this time since I get to start clean with my entity system. (Simple) logic on a couple thousand ships seems to indicate good things. Always cautious though :ghost:
I was going to suggest something along these lines earlier, for economic or NPC behavior variety (cheating) over time... pure simulation cost is part of the big LT hurdle you are working on, yet even when solved much of it's magnificence will be lost on most players -- except for large gross change situations, ie. unloading 1 million units of carbon tanking the price at this station/system. For everything nonessential, or low LOD outside the current system, put a function in to generate differences over time for galactic price changes and other things etc...

For non-concrete factors, like an NPC switching activities from mining to fighting pirates, or why Polytanium prices spiked... no one will know the difference until LT 1.2
JoshParnell wrote:I just had one of those beautiful moments where the proc generators surprised me. I found the most beautiful system I've ever seen in LT, ever. At least, in my opinion. I saved the seed number so I can revisit it and post screenshots sometime :)
P.S. The above made my day Josh, very fun to hear this tidbit! :clap: Exciting stuff!

DWMagus wrote:Truth be told, when I found out, I was tempted to fly down to San Antonio for a day or two and hit up with Sky and Flat so we could do one last live-action podcast and finally get Josh in on it...

If possible, I'd be there with bells on. I'd be the token Brit. :D
Image LT Backer Number: 647 of 5449.

JoshParnell wrote:I just burnt my graphics card out. Like, literally, I killed it with the demo / some things I was trying ...
Josh, was it running the system with the seed 0 you mentioned in the other branch? If yes then probably we have a very special 'closed' system that nobody should run. :ghost:

JoshParnell wrote:
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. But what if it kills your GPU? :cry:

Pray for me :V

<3
It's a sign you've done enough work for today! Get some rest..
Here, close your eyes, and allow me to massage your face and head ..
My fingers softly swirl small circles on your forehead, then lightly moving backwards to your temples.
Sliding down the bridge of your nose, my fingers part and circle your eyes, and massage back to your forehead.
I do this three times :)
Then I slide my hands through your hair, softly swirling my fingers over your scalp (no nails, just fingers!)
Like a claw action, each hand moves in circles over your head.. massaging you.
take a deep breath and exhale deeply 3 times
repeat until you fall asleep
:shh: :ghost: :squirrel:
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Welp, it's been fun being a programmer, but I think after the spanking my poor old RNG code just got, I should probably switch to something more my speed, like hammering nails with my skull or watching paint dry.... :oops:
JoshParnell wrote:I just burnt my graphics card out. Like, literally, I killed it with the demo / some things I was trying ...
Holy carp, dude -- I'm sure the fully ray-traced universe must have been something to see.
DWMagus wrote:Truth be told, when I found out, I was tempted to fly down to San Antonio for a day or two and hit up with Sky and Flat so we could do one last live-action podcast and finally get Josh in on it...

Dang. Would have been nice. Stupid schedules.

Flatfingers wrote:Welp, it's been fun being a programmer, but I think after the spanking my poor old RNG code just got, I should probably switch to something more my speed, like hammering nails with my skull or watching paint dry.... :oops:
FWIW, that occurred only shortly before my long-standing favorite GPU toasted itself...so the universe did pay me back for being unnecessarily harsh on your code :( :ghost:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Flatfingers wrote:Welp, it's been fun being a programmer, but I think after the spanking my poor old RNG code just got, I should probably switch to something more my speed, like hammering nails with my skull or watching paint dry.... :oops:
Just remember, that PRNG is a field of science, and it is thoroughly explored by those truly interested in it.

Just because it won't pass any of the crazy tests they can put it under doesn't mean its bad, just that it's not cryptographically unpredictable.
And Cryptographics is a crazy field full of the math nerds that are called nerds by the nerdiest of mathematical nerds!

Being able to write something new that is that level of secure, is something that actually scores you significant funding.

You code will still confuse >98% of the world population. (myself included, fuck math :V)
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Wow, congrats Josh for the PAX South!

I think that's a huge step forward for LT. In particular, since there were mentions of possible screenshots of the game taken there and maybe pictures of LT in the event, that sounds like one of the most promising moments of LT in yeras. I am really hoping all goes well, that people will love the demo, that Josh will get some media attention (even if minor) and that this will help keep Josh in this nice healthy track.

Best of luck tomorrow/today and during the weekend!

I went to finally sign up for an account here on the forums... to find out I already had one!

Anyways, I've always been watching development silently, and it's great to hear news again Josh!

It would be cool if I could go visit at the show, but I'm way too broke for that, and it'd be way too last minute.

Good luck!

Taken from the Reddit forum for LT:
madjo - reddit wrote: Most kickstarter projects I've backed seem to fall into the same trap of "Well, the backers only want to hear the good stuff, and the easy to grok stuff. So I won't share the bad stuff or the more technical stuff."
Yes, I like shiny. No, I don't like years of no communication, because there's no new shiny to show. Yes, I prefer to hear when stuff goes right AND when it's hitting the fan.
I already trusted you with my cash, therefore don't be afraid to also show the ugly side to product development.
To Josh, I implore you, you promise now to have a semi-weekly devlog, keep that promise, pretty please? Even if it's the message: "Well I tried LuaJIT, and I've had to scrap that idea because it didn't improve performance enough. Back to the drawing board."
Also, look at multi-threading...
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Must be something in the air. My GTX460 died on Wed. Going to be making a trip to Fry's today to buy a new one. Going with the RX480, not quite sure which brand I want though. Leaning most towards the XFX version but I'm not sure if Fry's has the GTR version. We will see.

P.S.

A few prayers sent your way. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Poet1960 on Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

Online Now