Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: LT forum ART and Hobby Center

Alright, finally had a chance to dig in multiple hours into the PSVR.

Experimented with positional tracking with a camera and more.

Ultimate decision? VR is not for me. At least, not right now.

I pushed past all the 'issues' that could be attributed to my set and/or me personally but the decision remains the same. VR is still in its infancy, and we have a long ways to go before it can even be considered 'mainstream'.

VR was originally sold as the whole 'full-body' immersion. The Vive and Rift are prime examples of this with their demos, the software coming out, and more. But it's not just that lack of non full-body software exists. It's that we need the full-body immersion. A person's equilibrium is not meant to handle a disconnect between body and eyes. This isn't what I based my decision on though. Sure, I did get nauseau when I had everything working, but not because the set-up was bad. It was because of me, and I fully recognize that it was.

It was that there is no easy way to remediate this. Sure, we can adapt our bodies to it, but then we throw off what our internal mechanism is for self-balancing. We need to be able to combine the two for a better 'living' experience.

But that too wasn't the main reason.

Resolution is an issue regardless of superior pixel layout. Jaggies when you're not used to seeing them does make things disjointed. Tracking still has drift, albeit very minor, is still an issue.

I wanted a device that allows me experience my games in 3D, much the way that nvidia's 3D vision did, and hopefully in a more immersive environment. While these devices may one day be able to, we're definitely not there yet. Even in the best-base scenario (say PSVR on PS4 or Vive on PC), we still don't have the solution for what I'd like to see. Granted, all of this is in relation to me, so ymmv.

Final decision? Returning the PSVR tonight and wait a year or two and see where we're at.

...and thus ends my year-long adventure into VR.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote:Final decision? Returning the PSVR tonight and wait a year or two and see where we're at.

...and thus ends my year-long adventure into VR.
Aww man, I feel bad for you!

For me, the nausea came with the movement systems the games implemented.
That's where the disconnect came in, cos standing/sitting in one place and just looking around is enough like existing software that I can handle that. Standing with the Vive and walking about in small areas also was ok, but much less so because of the lack of presence, which is what I think you're talking about when you say about full-body immersion.

But movement is hard without accurate tracking and presence, and no game has got that working yet. I read that reducing the vertical field of view while in motion helps by simulating what our brains really do, but again no-one's done that.

Personally, I think it'll be another five to ten years before we actually get enough power to render and sense full-body presence, maybe the MS Hololens might be more to your liking?
--
Mind The Gap

Ringu wrote:Personally, I think it'll be another five to ten years before we actually get enough power to render and sense full-body presence, maybe the MS Hololens might be more to your liking?
This is kinda of the impression I got as well.

I don't think it matters the 'how', I think it's more the 'what' at the moment. I doubt hololens would work for me, but I'm open to play with it.

Ultimately, I'd like to see where we're at in five years as well.

Thanks for your input and knowledge Ringu. :wave:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

So, I recently picked up traditional drawing again, and because I want to get actually good at it this time I'm drawing something everyday now - sometimes only 15 minutes, but at least I get the practice.

This was yesterday's which I'm particularly happy with:
(Demi from Cloudbuilt)

DF-inspired
"The Werepanda Ulco Otiicen has come! A large panda twisted into humanoid form. It is crazed for blood and flesh. Its eyes glow red. Now you will know why you fear the night."

So, I got sieged by a necromancer and his horde of zombies and couldn't deal with that, so I just closed the doors to my fortress. Which resulted in them just wandering outside, aimlessly. :ghost:

Some Bungou Stray Dogs characters:

Some Nanbaka characters:

Olivier from Trails in the Sky:

Cuthulhu (Cute Cthulhu, geddit)

Seal of approval
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Online Now