Excuse my brevity but I'm in an incredible flurry of trying to get things ready right now for...my upcoming trip to San Antonio this weekend for PAX South!
I wish I had announced this earlier so that those who really wanted to show up and come hang out and chat about LT / see a demo could do so, but I'm afraid that anxious Josh was nervous for a long time about whether or not he'd have anything to show. Quite frankly, what will be shown is still a bit up in the air, but I can tell you that Limit Theory will have a demo booth on the showroom floor! I'll be there Friday, Saturday, and Sunday for the whole shebang. I'm going with my fellow game makers who work here at the Tech Park.
So, this means a few things:
- 1. If you happen to be nearby and really want to drop in, grab a pass now because I think they're almost gone (I think Saturday is already sold out). But even if you don't get a pass, if you're very close by I'd be happy to arrange a meet & greet. If the LT sign comes out half as good as it looked when I rendered it last week (in-engine), you'll be able to find me easily
2. LT will have a playable thing as of this weekend. I'm in the depths of using my (imperfect) LuaJIT solution to build it right now, and things are going well despite me not having enough hours in the day (as always). I think this is good timing: a lot of you were pleased with the last post, but a lot were also cautious because I still didn't show anything. I don't think I can give more proof that I'm making progress and working hard than showing up at an expo and letting people demo it in person
3. I say 'playable thing' because it won't be the full LT (obviously...otherwise we'd be in beta). What I'm cooking up is essentially a 'slice' of LT gameplay, intended to give PAX attendees a fun, fast way to get a glimpse of the LT feeling, see the procedural universe, etc. Besides not having LT finished, frankly, even if I did, I don't think it'd make for a good demo. Not the kind of thing you can just spend 5 minutes on But I am excited to be able to show you all the fruits of this endeavor. This is also going to put me at least a month or two ahead of schedule in terms of being able to evaluate whether the LuaJIT option is going to work. If it holds up well for this demo, it will be a good sign.
4. I believe it was Flatfingers who said 'show me the smoldering corpse of perfectionist Josh.' Well sir, I'm going to put a controller in the hands of total strangers and let them play what will undoubtedly be a (pretty, but) highly imperfect demo. Perfectionist Josh wants to write a demo that lets them choose between like 10 different scenarios, each one showcasing a different piece of LT gameplay. Pragmatic Josh is gunning for one solid thing without too many bugs. After this weekend, I hope I will have presented you guys with this smoldering corpse
5. I'm extremely, extremely crunched from now until Sunday. This means I won't be available for communication, and, apologies to the pledge transfer people, I am going to have to deal with them next week rather than this week. Hope you can understand
6. I definitely want to do a weekly log this week, because I'll have a lot to say after such an exciting week/end! But I will still be at PAX on Sunday, so expect a log early next week instead.
7. Wish me luck. The code has been flowing very rapidly since last week, but I still need torrential amounts of it! Story of my life.
Do let me know if you're already planning on going or are somehow going to be able to make last-minute arrangements to do so! I'd love to meet anyone who is going.