Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Capital ships - Carriers and mobile bases?

0111narwhalz wrote:
Black--Snow wrote:I just want a massive frakking capital ship that is literally a moving station with guns, is that too much to ask? :V
Only if stations are...um...stationary.
Are you telling me a station with thrusters is silly?

Because no it's not...

It's fucking awesome.

<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Honestly...I have to agree with Black--Snow there for a bit...A Giant Super-Carrier sounds awesome.

But only if properly done, after all. If I could count more than 5 ships of that size over the course of a full day then I'm disappointed. ^^"

After all they should stand at the absolute top of Spacecraft Development and be sufficiently Impressive and Awesome to make up for the monstrous cost for researching and building that went into that beast.
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

F4wk35 wrote:Honestly...I have to agree with Black--Snow there for a bit...A Giant Super-Carrier sounds awesome.

But only if properly done, after all. If I could count more than 5 ships of that size over the course of a full day then I'm disappointed. ^^"

After all they should stand at the absolute top of Spacecraft Development and be sufficiently Impressive and Awesome to make up for the monstrous cost for researching and building that went into that beast.
Yes, it should be a difficult project to just 'achieve' unless you have large amounts of resources. It should be something that when you finally have the mobile command centre of your dreams you feel really accomplished and proud.
I want it to be very substantial in multiple ways.
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Black--Snow wrote:I just want a massive frakking capital ship that is literally a moving station with guns, is that too much to ask? :V
So you want a really big ship? :V
Because what else is the difference between a station(ary) and a ship if its not mobility?
A really big ship usually isn't meant to be used as a mobile base. I want a MASSIVE ship with all the functionality of a station (Besides the market and such) to operate out of. Sort of like how the rorqual/orca provides a central base for mining fleets in EVE.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Black--Snow wrote: A really big ship usually isn't meant to be used as a mobile base. I want a MASSIVE ship with all the functionality of a station (Besides the market and such) to operate out of. Sort of like how the rorqual/orca provides a central base for mining fleets in EVE.
and a big ship is incapable to provide... what?
Nothing. That's the point.

Cornflakes you aren't making much sense.

A really big ship must look like she can travel forward... A station may travel forward, but it mustn't look like it, because of its shape. It's aesthetics. Useless in space, but very, very human. In the practice, every single big enough ship can't be told apart from a stationary base or station in all their functions. And every bulky station with big enough engines and thrusters could be called a big ship if they're constantly moving around between planets or systems.

For example: a borg cube probably would've considered a station hands down if the few times they''ve been showed on screen wouldn't be moving (except in First Contact, but there you know for a fact that the damn thing just arrived, ergo it was moving).
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Station -> stationary
Ship -> movable

Space Stations could move (doing it in an orbit anyhow) relatively, but they are not designed to handle high acceleration-forces.
Thats why they can be build into larger, more fragile structures than a ship, (which has to change momentum, and thus need a more robust frame)

So a station could be presented as being able to change location, but requiring a long time to relocate / using a tow ship for example.
Similar to todays oil platforms.

Online Now