Return to “Games”

Re: No Man's Sky

Flatfingers wrote:Setting aside the silly MY OPINION IS MORE TRUE WHEN I YELL IT thing, I'm posed with a dilemma.

On the one hand, someone who played the game (?) insists they have, or perhaps have read someone's claim of, evidence that Hello Games deliberately lied in their advertising materials for NMS.
Not claim of evidence, just evidence:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread. ... 009&page=1
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... tcount=151

Tools to unpack the data files and see all the stuff are publicly available if you care to check yourself.
Flatfingers wrote: On the other hand, an official advertising standards body, who apparently got to see the actual code
They did not, they got footage from Hello Games in response to specific claims and a copy of the game:
With regard to the game features queried by complainants, Hello Games provided gameplay footage showing these features, which they explained showed extracts from NMS on a PC with average specifications; these specifications were given. The majority of the footage provided came from a play-through that had started from the beginning of the game and lasted for four hours. They also provided links to third party footage uploaded to a video-sharing platform by players of NMS, and a copy of the game.
I mean, read that verdict. Long read, but worth it. Some gems:
A number of complainants were concerned that large-scale space battles of the type shown in one of the videos was not part of gameplay. We acknowledged Hello Games’ assertion that the larger battles were more unusual, and noted the footage they provided of a materially similar type of battle.
"We didn't see big battles, but we saw battles and Hello Games said there were bigger ones and we believed them"
. The footage provided did not show a ship flying underneath a rock formation, as in one of the videos, and we had been unable to replicate similar behaviour in the game. However, this was a brief shot within a wider sequence and we did not consider that, in the context of the ad as a whole, this was likely to mislead.
"We seem unaware that the flight model is essential to a space game"
Further, some complainants also challenged the depiction of animals in the ads. Hello Games provided footage in response, which we noted showed similar animal behaviour to that shown in the ad. Although animals in the trailer were shown moving large trees, which was not observed in the footage or during gameplay, we considered that this was a fleeting and incidental scene, unlikely in itself to influence materially a consumer’s decision to purchase the game, and that it was not misleading.
"We think they acted the same, except when they didn't, but didn't think it was a big problem"
In relation to the claim “trade convoys travel between stars”, the footage provided by Hello Games showed trade ships ‘warping’ into systems after travelling between solar systems. We therefore understood that this feature existed in the game.
"We saw ships appearing, therefore travelling trading ships are in the game. We did not check whether they actually travelled or traded."
With regard to the claim “factions vie over territory”, we considered that consumers would understand from this that more than one faction would be present in the game, holding specific territory, and that there would be aspects of the game relating to tensions over territories and faction activities. We understood that players could interact with three different factions, who occupied specific areas, and could take part in battles between opposing factions (which would increase their reputation with the faction they defended). Noting the explanation and footage provided by Hello Games, we did not consider that this description differed materially from the relevant gameplay features.
"There are factions, they have territory, and there are battles, therefore there are factions battling over territory. We didn't check if the factions were actually battling eachother or if their territory changed as a result, or where the battles happen, because we don't know how game systems work."
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Flatfingers wrote:Setting aside the silly MY OPINION IS MORE TRUE WHEN I YELL IT thing, I'm posed with a dilemma.
Putting aside the silly THESE FACTS DISAGREE WITH MY OPINION SO I'LL IGNORE THEM:

I haven't played the game. I have, however, dissected the files, as someone with interest and experience in procedural generation, and the files from the E3 demo exist in the game as manually created assets, and Dino has produced excellent links that allow you to do the same yourself.

The content they used to advertise the game was manually created, not procedurally generated. This is a fact. No amount of "LALALA I'M NOT LISTENING" will change this.

And yet, from the E3 demo (2:35):
And now I'm gonna do something really stupid. I'm gonna pick one of these at random. And we can go there. Now this was okay in rehearsal, otherwise I wouldn't be here. But if anything horrible goes wrong just keep in mind that I've not been there before. [...] Probably no one's ever been here before.
The only way Sean Murray could possibly not be lying here is if he had no idea that the development team hand-crafted an E3 demo for him, and even in that extremely unlikely scenario that'd only let Sean Murray himself off, and not the rest of the dev team.

EDIT: Coincidentally, I got an advert for Elite: Dangerous when loading the video...
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)

A copy of the email content I received this morning:
Dear NMS EE customer,

We'd like to start this email by saying thank you. Thank you for hanging in there, for supporting us through the challenging production of these beautiful No Man's Sky ships and for having our back while others had their doubts. We have learned a lot (A LOT!!) from this experience and we have taken every nugget of knowledge and customer feedback to heart along this very windy road.

We know that it has been difficult and anxiety provoking for you to pay $150 for something and then to hear about delay after delay (or to not hear at all) and we want to send you a heartfelt apology for that misstep. We should have done a better job at communicating along the way and we are making it our pledge for 2017 to "always communicate".

To that end, you can find up to the minute updates relating to any pre-order items here: iam8bit.com/updates

Now, the good news!!!! We know that you've been waiting a painfully long time for your No Man's Sky Explorer's Edition and we are really really (really!!!) thrilled to be able to let you know that it is almost here. The shipment is due to arrive at the Port of London on December 21st. From there, we will have to wait 5 days before it can run thru UK Customs. Sadly, then we hit up against the Christmas holiday when everything will close down until January 2nd. That said, we expect the ships to arrive at our UK warehouse by January 5th and to start shipping out to customers on Jan 6th and continuing the following week. Please look for an email confirming your shipment at that time.

We know that you are gonna love it and we cannot wait until it lands in your hands.

Happy holidays!!!

Love,
iam8bit
Hmm...the upshot being that my glorious hand detailed NMS ship will arrive in the early new year if all goes to plan. I wish I could get enthusiastic about this news and give a cheer but my patience has been tested to destruction by several other projects, in addition to this one, during the course of 2016...

Not the least being Limit Theory. :( :angel:

The new update looks cool. I won't pay more than $10 for it.

Hope Josh gets around to finishing LT.

Don't worry Josh, you won't get the backlash that NMS got.

1. You're not charging $60.

2. You're actually building a simulation behind the scenes. NMS promised a simulation, then cheated.
I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.

My much delayed No Man's Sky "Explorer's Edition" arrived today. :D I was tempted to remove the contents of the box and do a bit of whooshing about with the model ship but decided against such infantile behaviour. :angel:

:shifty: I'll probably succumb to such childishness tomorrow. :oops:

Victor Tombs wrote:My much delayed No Man's Sky "Explorer's Edition" arrived today. :D I was tempted to remove the contents of the box and do a bit of whooshing about with the model ship but decided against such infantile behaviour. :angel:

I still haven't picked it up. Waiting for the next major update to see how they improve it.
I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.

Victor Tombs wrote:My much delayed No Man's Sky "Explorer's Edition" arrived today. :D I was tempted to remove the contents of the box and do a bit of whooshing about with the model ship but decided against such infantile behaviour. :angel:

My Explorer's box arrived today from IAM8BIT and as beautiful as the ship is, weight like a lump of iron.
I cant fully enjoy it because of being burned by the game which I havnt played since release.

what a shame this model ship is so good and the game failed to deliver.

Arclite wrote:I still haven't picked it up. Waiting for the next major update to see how they improve it.
That's a wise decision, Arclite. :thumbup:
cerveau wrote:My Explorer's box arrived today from IAM8BIT and as beautiful as the ship is, weight like a lump of iron.
I cant fully enjoy it because of being burned by the game which I havnt played since release.

what a shame this model ship is so good and the game failed to deliver.

I only pre-ordered the "Explorer's Edition" because it was limited and I didn't want to miss out on the physical stuff. I had no idea the game would be so disappointing. They forwarded the game key to me at the time of initial release and I wasn't happy with what I saw. The game continues to improve (a sort of déjà vu experience similar to the one I had with X-Rebirth)

I'm glad I went for the "Explorer's Edition" now, the model ship is very well done. :D

Victor Tombs wrote:I only pre-ordered the "Explorer's Edition" because it was limited and I didn't want to miss out on the physical stuff.
Victor, you must have a seriously impressive collection of limited, physical stuff now - do you display these pieces, or (as I suspect) are they all on bookshelves and in cupboards, still sealed?

Personally, I have an extensive collection of DVDs and Blu-Rays which line the walls of my flat, and my game boxes and items are on the bookshelves along with the DVD physical items and so on. I'd love to have the space to display them, but too much stuff...
--
Mind The Gap

Online Now