Return to “Games”

Re: Stellaris

IronDuke wrote:I don't know... I tried the game, but it didn't quite click for me the same way that Space Empires IV did... didn't click at all, actually. :think:
I'll likely give it another run sometime in the future, but it doesn't seem to grab me. :problem:

--IronDuke
Turn that post completely upside backways, and you have my opinion on Stellaris :D
I am Groot.
Please don't take my advice. You will wind up in jail if you do.
For some reason, I feel obliged to display how many people have talked in IRC over the past 2 hours: Image :problem:
:ugeek:

IronDuke wrote:I don't know... I tried the game, but it didn't quite click for me the same way that Space Empires IV did... didn't click at all, actually. :think:
I'll likely give it another run sometime in the future, but it doesn't seem to grab me. :problem:

--IronDuke
Space Empire IV is a 4X. Stellaris is not a 4X. It has 4X elements, which is a totally different thing. What I'm saying here is, a cow has some elements of a table because they both have legs. Someone that calls Stellaris a 4X is saying that the cow is the table.

That could be why you disliked it. :P A lot of people disliked it because it isn't pure 4X. Going into it expecting a 4X is not a good thing to do.

edit: edit ninja'd
Last edited by Talvieno on Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edit (ninja'd)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:

--IronDuke
Space Empire IV is a 4X. Stellaris is not a 4X. It has 4X elements, which is a totally different thing. It's like saying a cow has some elements of a table because they both have legs.
:lol:
I am Groot.
For some reason, I feel obliged to display how many people have talked in IRC over the past 2 hours: Image :problem:

Talvieno wrote:

--IronDuke
Space Empire IV is a 4X. Stellaris is not a 4X. It has 4X elements, which is a totally different thing. It's like saying a cow has some elements of a table because they both have legs.
eh, i still dont see any arguments that stellaris is no 4x.
it has all the elements SEV has as well, but stellaris being more continous than SEV

Talvieno wrote: Space Empire IV is a 4X. Stellaris is not a 4X. It has 4X elements, which is a totally different thing. What I'm saying here is, a cow has some elements of a table because they both have legs. Someone that calls Stellaris a 4X is saying that the cow is the table.

That could be why you disliked it. :P A lot of people disliked it because it isn't pure 4X. Going into it expecting a 4X is not a good thing to do.
I know that. I was not expecting a 4X; in fact, I've never played a game loudly labelled as such and am not even sure what to expect from one.
I wasn't expecting anything, really. I knew you control a space empire, and there are battles, resource management, research, blah blah blah. That's about it. :ghost: It just didn't appeal right off the bat.
Spoiler:      SHOW
It didn't help that some of it was done unprofessionally. The stars have/had texture seams, my science vessel had a hole in the geometry, and the UI felt clunky. :geek:
--IronDuke
Knowledge is Power, and Power goes in Cars.
I-War 2 thread
Epic Limit Theory Limerick

IronDuke wrote:
Talvieno wrote: Space Empire IV is a 4X. Stellaris is not a 4X. It has 4X elements, which is a totally different thing. What I'm saying here is, a cow has some elements of a table because they both have legs. Someone that calls Stellaris a 4X is saying that the cow is the table.

I know that. I was not expecting a 4X; in fact, I've never played a game loudly labelled as such and am not even sure what to expect from one.
I wasn't expecting anything, really. I knew you control a space empire, and there are battles, resource management, research, blah blah blah. That's about it. :ghost: It just didn't appeal right off the bat.
Spoiler:      SHOW
It didn't help that some of it was done unprofessionally. The stars have/had texture seams, my science vessel had a hole in the geometry, and the UI felt clunky. :geek:
--IronDuke
? Where? I demand screenies. I haven't heard of anything like that. The star texture quality was originally lower than it should've been, but they fixed that quickly... never heard of the geometry holes. Maybe it was your graphics card's fault.

Also if you expect a game to be fun right at the start, not many games are going to appeal to you anyway. :P A lot of games take a couple hours to really pull you in.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
IronDuke wrote: science vessel had a hole in the geometry
never heard of the geometry holes. Maybe it was your graphics card's fault.
Some ships models have random empty spaces. Not geometry hole. Just the design of the thing. I used to think there were holes in ships too, but then I had a really close look, and there are walls around the holes.
I am Groot.

Talvieno wrote: ? Where? I demand screenies. I haven't heard of anything like that. The star texture quality was originally lower than it should've been, but they fixed that quickly... never heard of the geometry holes. Maybe it was your graphics card's fault.

Also if you expect a game to be fun right at the start, not many games are going to appeal to you anyway. :P A lot of games take a couple hours to really pull you in.
I played it for a couple hours. :P As for the geometry hole, it was a single triangle that had the normal reversed. It wasn't a glitch on my GPU's end. It was only a problem because it was a pretty big, conspicuous triangle. :ghost: And yeah, hopefully they've fixed the star textures by now. I'll fire the game up and see whether they've fixed it. If they have not, you'll get your screenshot.

--IronDuke
Knowledge is Power, and Power goes in Cars.
I-War 2 thread
Epic Limit Theory Limerick

IronDuke wrote:pretty big, conspicuous triangle
*posted too soon* :shifty:

*wishes for a delete post button* :ghost:
I am Groot.

Detritus wrote:
IronDuke wrote:pretty big, conspicuous triangle
*posted too soon* :shifty:

*wishes for a delete post button* :ghost:
Not really... I've seen dozens of ships in dozens of screenshots and haven't seen that. I'm still thinking it might be on Duke's end only. :? Not that it makes it any better, of course, but just saying... I haven't seen it. :P

IronDuke wrote:Okay. They vastly altered the star looks. No more texture seams, and the overall shininess is much better.
The geometry hole in the science ship is gone.
The camera controls are still as horrible as ever. :ghost:
I last tried the game quite a few months ago, so... :monkey:

--IronDuke
Is now much fun, very Stellaris. :D
I am Groot.

Well the latest patch did something right. I ended up playing far longer than I intended last night. Exploration is now risky and there seem to be a few additional story lines that add variety to the special projects. I seem to still be pretty bad at combat but hopefully that improves over time.

Online Now