Return to “Games”

Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Cornflakes_91 wrote:and an even more important point with DX1: dont try to play it right after playing HR. i couldnt stand it :ghost:
That's probably true for a lot of people. The graphics of DX will make your eyes bleed after the shinies of DX:HR.

For those who like story/lore and mechanics, though, there's still a lot of game left in the original.

[Edited for bleepin' autocorrect]
Last edited by Flatfingers on Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

If Victor, or anyone else, is interested in playing the original Deus Ex in 2016, and wouldn't mind an additional level of polish and refinement, there's a strong case to be made for waiting until December 2016 to do so, when the mod GMDX hits version 9.0 with a bunch of improvements. (You can of course download version 8.0 if you'd like. Check out this video series.) I have played the game both vanilla and with GMDX and can confirm that it is well-made and takes great care not to violate the original game's design intentions. It's probably the best way to experience the original game if you're worried about immersing yourself into the game as a newcomer.

Update on Graphicsness.

Although the promise was that the real DX12 update would be provided "the week of Sept. 19," only the beta version is still available.

But since I was pulling down the latest patch anyway, I decided to try the DX12 beta. Bad idea. I started getting a lot of HANG errors, even after updating my card to the latest driver and setting all graphics options to the defaults. Oh, and subway travel once again started taking nearly a minute. (And I did check to make sure my system hadn't reverted to SLI mode. It hadn't.)

So back I went to non-DX12-beta version, and non-crashy performance has been restored.

I expect I'll try the actual DX12 version when it's finally released, but I'm not holding my breath that it will have corrected all the problems I experienced with the beta version.

Strictly speaking, this note isn't about Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, but rather about the original Deus Ex.

That said, while I don't think celebrity counts for much, and would not mind seeing Y Combinator fall into the Pacific Ocean, Warren Spector has been geeking out about a recent interview with Elon Musk in which Musk praises the storytelling in Deus Ex.

Regardless, it's a positive reference to a great game, which I thought some folks here might find interesting.

Online Now