Return to “Technical”

Re: What did I tell you about breaking physics...

"His Most Indubitable Truthfulness the Supreme Inquisitor Noowaay of Stukkupp, having thoroughly and impartially studied Professor Shmalk's report (see attached), is calling an emergency Council of the Truthful Ones of the Galaxy to fight back what he has already named the Greatest Heresy of All Times. Irrefutable proofs and troops are already being gathered at this very moment."

(Top secret message tapped off the Truthful Network and decrypted by independent anonymous researchers)

gchapyzh wrote:One - why do ships slow down in the middle of space for no reason? Is there a background story? :(

Two - why would there be SOUND in SPACE?! Is it not vacuum? :o
The people of the Ancient Colony believed that all limits - physical, technological, even cosmological - could be overcome with the mind. "You are your only limitation," they said. It was unrealistic, perhaps even childish. But it worked. This so-called 'limit theory' thrived in the minds of the people. Idealism drove overwhelming progress. Far-fetched aspirations became concrete realities. Wide-eyed dreams fueled breakthroughs in all fields. Limit theory prevailed, and it took civilization from the surface of one planet to the farthest corners of the universe.

You are part of this great lineage of idealists. You, like your ancestors, are free of limitation. You, like your ancestors, see exploitable potential in everything around you. You, like your ancestors, are a limit theorist, and you will carve your own story in this radiant universe.
Lets see, the theory of Limit Theory...

Your people from the Ancient Colony found ways to make the impossible possible through science and technology. Over the years they discovered that one could travel to other galaxies in an instant by entering wormholes. The laws of physics discovered by Sir Isiah Newbone state that an object at rest stays at rest, and that a object in motion tends to stop in motion. Tavitiy and friction are the forces that causes this effect in the world around us and in the stars over head. It has been observed that most planets are extremely far from their parent star which are roughly the same size of gas giants when a planet is present in the habitable zone.

Contrary to popular belief space is pressurized at an average of 1x10-50 per square meter by a helium-hydrogen based molecule. This allows weapon fire and other audio to be heard through a ship's hull.

[/end techno-babble]

I hope that last statement wasn't supposed to be realistic BFett! Weapon fire would be able to be heard through a ship's hull because the hull itself transmits the sound of the weapon firing (if the weapon is placed on the hull) or because the hull itself is getting hit by something. That sort of pressure in space is not nearly enough to support longitudinal pressure waves from being transmitted in any perceptible form.

Besides the usual "Star Wars aesthetic" and "gameplay/rule of cool" stuff...

...it makes sense to use all available senses of the pilot to transmit information. Since we're already going out on a limb with giving a human (or whatever...) direct control of a spaceship, something that in reality is probably better left to an AI that can handle the required mathematics and the boredom, we might as well employ all of the input channels of the wetware component.

For your reading pleasure:
http://community.eveonline.com/backstor ... wet-grave/

(TL;DR - the story gives an explanation why you see your spaceship from outside, why there is sound, and why it sucks to be Caldari.)

-Hardenberg
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination

HKY09 wrote:Having a little suspension of disbelief is okay... just as long as the game itself is serious-toned, I can really ignore all the scientific fallacies made.
I think I understand what you're saying here, and I don't really object to it all that much.

But... I just can't see it as "scientific fallacies." Not when it's a completely imaginary world.

When you're building a wholly invented universe, the right question is not what pieces of realism didn't get imported. Not only is that an impossible question (because there's a lot of reality), it's an irrelevant question because an invented world is entirely its own place. The only question that matters is "are the rules of this world internally consistent?"

What I'm saying is that it's better to appreciate the real-world behaviors that are implemented in a game than to miss the ones that aren't there.

I'm not saying that will be easy for everybody. ;) Someone whose feeling of immersion depends on a lot of things acting like they are believed to do in reality may find a game about spaceships traveling among the stars to be just too weird.

Does that make sense?

Flatfingers wrote:
HKY09 wrote:Having a little suspension of disbelief is okay... just as long as the game itself is serious-toned, I can really ignore all the scientific fallacies made.
I think I understand what you're saying here, and I don't really object to it all that much.

But... I just can't see it as "scientific fallacies." Not when it's a completely imaginary world.

When you're building a wholly invented universe, the right question is not what pieces of realism didn't get imported. Not only is that an impossible question (because there's a lot of reality), it's an irrelevant question because an invented world is entirely its own place. The only question that matters is "are the rules of this world internally consistent?"

What I'm saying is that it's better to appreciate the real-world behaviors that are implemented in a game than to miss the ones that aren't there.

I'm not saying that will be easy for everybody. ;) Someone whose feeling of immersion depends on a lot of things acting like they are believed to do in reality may find a game about spaceships traveling among the stars to be just too weird.

Does that make sense?
Oh yea, definitely.
And I wholly agree. c;
Lurker Mode: DEACTIVATED
The most intriguing fact about imagination is that its all in your head.

GMpow2 wrote:with "tanks" in space (we call spaceships, but not necessary) and detailed damage simulations and stuff...

So say no to second life...

its my invention, muhahaha
What exactly are you asking for GMpow2? What kind of game has no human interaction and just lets the player watch what is happening. Hmm, sounds kind of like a movie to me.

Anyways, if you want LT to be what you envision the future to be, then you can mod it into that. With the way Josh is writing LT, basically anything affecting game-play and graphical effects can be edited. You want nearly Newtonian space battles? Done. You want realistic distances? Done. You want component damage detection on a plate by plate basis? You have some coding to do, but it should be doable.

EDIT:
Here's what Josh had to say on this topic.

Online Now