Return to “Games”

Re: Fallout 4

Dinosawer wrote: Then I would get annoyed at then for making a TES game about the tiny part of the other games I have no interest in :P
Also, you could join the dark brotherhood in skyrim instead of destroying it...

Also, I think we need a TES6 thread, everyone keeps talking about it in every bethesda thread :ghost:
as if the odd one more new recruit would prevent the fall of the brotherhood :ghost:

and the brotherhood quests are what i enjoyed the most in oblivion, along with the thieves guild quests :ghost:

Victor Tombs wrote: :lol: I'm never going to be happy with Bethesda wasting its time and resources on the Fallout franchise, IronDuke. Post apocalyptic games will always be anathema to me. Followed closely by modern armed combat realistic warfare games. It's just a personal issue I have about the subjects. :angel:
I'm far more willing to accept the "a wizard did it" approach to plot holes and bad worldbuilding as seen in the Elder Scrolls games. Fallout 4 just left me scratching my head every 2 corners due to the totally idiotic time scale they were proposing. 300 years my big hairy butt.
I can buy some ancient elven ruins still being around after 300 years of neglect, but entering a modern-day building and seeing that the mannequins are still upright, probably with edible merchandise being draped around after the mutants and the raiders have been frequenting the area for, oh, say, decades, is massacring my suspension of disbelief. And don't get me started on terminals which have been running for 300 years without crashing or data decay on what must be the worlds most durable uninterruptible power supply.

Science Fiction authors have no sense of scale, indeed. If the went full camp, like the vaultboy vids suggest, this might have been acceptable, but unfortunately Fallout 4 tries too hard to be edgy and serious most of the time.

Personal pet peeve: People are running around in powered armor with plasma cannons, but no one seems to be able to construct a waterproof roof or a wall without holes in it anymore.

Stick to Orcs and Elves, Bethesda. Or at least pay your lore team enough to put some effort into it.

-Hardenberg
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination

Hardenberg wrote: Personal pet peeve: People are running around in powered armor with plasma cannons, but no one seems to be able to construct a waterproof roof or a wall without holes in it anymore.
Or the lack of any sort of psychological need for aesthetics. I like desolate, dead places, but even in the darkest pit of hell someone's gonna try and decorate, and try to do their job well and improve their living space. Not sleep on moldy mattresses and moan about how terrible everything is, while standing around in the corner of a rusty, leaky hot box of steel sheets.

Not to mention the amount of murderhobos compared to 'big cities' with fifteen inhabitants. One of the things that really gets to me is dehumanized human opponents, just for target practice's sake.

Guess I just got jaded of the 'dark and scrappy' apocalypse and want something with more than Mad Max :D
panic

Mistycica wrote:
Hardenberg wrote: Personal pet peeve: People are running around in powered armor with plasma cannons, but no one seems to be able to construct a waterproof roof or a wall without holes in it anymore.
Or the lack of any sort of psychological need for aesthetics. I like desolate, dead places, but even in the darkest pit of hell someone's gonna try and decorate, and try to do their job well and improve their living space. Not sleep on moldy mattresses and moan about how terrible everything is, while standing around in the corner of a rusty, leaky hot box of steel sheets.

Not to mention the amount of murderhobos compared to 'big cities' with fifteen inhabitants. One of the things that really gets to me is dehumanized human opponents, just for target practice's sake.

Guess I just got jaded of the 'dark and scrappy' apocalypse and want something with more than Mad Max :D
Wait, do you want something better than Mad Max, or do you want something as good? :think: :ghost:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Idunno wrote:Wait, do you want something better than Mad Max, or do you want something as good? :think: :ghost:
Actually, I merely want a realistic timeframe (the world as presented in Fallout 4 would make a lot more sense if it was 5-20 years after the big bang), along with a visible effort at reconstruction.

If you'd actually extrapolate a 300 year timespan, the world would be utterly unrecognizable and alien to the Sole Survivor. Take the Black Death that wiped out large swathes of Europe in 1347, a period which was technically rather stagnant. Now look at Europe in 1680. The plague had profound religious, social and economic impact, sure, but you'd be hard-pressed to see any trace of it in the landscape.

Now consider the 1950s retrofutur setting, where technological advanced were made by leaps and bounds, and at the same time relying on comparatively fragile technology and a very finite power source - reactor grade uranium doesn't exactly grow on trees, you see. At that point, you could expect anything from "Crystal Spires and Togas" to something along the lines of "Warring City States in the Wastelands". Seeing that the chinese supposedly won, presumably with a heavy touch of either communist or imperial china to boot. It'd be bizarre at best, with the distant past being some obscure side note.

Hell, 300 years in that setting is probably enough for 2-3 extra apocalypses. And don't get me started on the fact that 300 year-old junk is still supposedly working, with just a few dinges and paint scrapes. Not to mention those incredible amounts of powder-based ammunition that still fires after sitting on the shelf for several centuries. Or those fusion cells that manage to power a factory for 300 years, but crap out after 15 minutes of being put in a suit of power armor. The whole world makes so little sense that it's not even funny anymore.

Check Fallout 2, which does a much better job at worldbuilding, and going along with the inherent campiness of the setting.

-Hardenberg
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Dinosawer wrote: Then I would get annoyed at then for making a TES game about the tiny part of the other games I have no interest in :P
Also, you could join the dark brotherhood in skyrim instead of destroying it...

Also, I think we need a TES6 thread, everyone keeps talking about it in every bethesda thread :ghost:
as if the odd one more new recruit would prevent the fall of the brotherhood :ghost:

and the brotherhood quests are what i enjoyed the most in oblivion, along with the thieves guild quests :ghost:
Well, every organisation I've joined so far in Skyrim required me to save it from total destruction not long after, so yes :ghost:
I was rather referring to the fact that the alternative for joining is the quest to wipe the entire brotherhood out, though.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Hardenberg wrote:
Idunno wrote:Wait, do you want something better than Mad Max, or do you want something as good? :think: :ghost:
Actually, I merely want a realistic timeframe (the world as presented in Fallout 4 would make a lot more sense if it was 5-20 years after the big bang), along with a visible effort at reconstruction.

If you'd actually extrapolate a 300 year timespan, the world would be utterly unrecognizable and alien to the Sole Survivor. Take the Black Death that wiped out large swathes of Europe in 1347, a period which was technically rather stagnant. Now look at Europe in 1680. The plague had profound religious, social and economic impact, sure, but you'd be hard-pressed to see any trace of it in the landscape.

Now consider the 1950s retrofutur setting, where technological advanced were made by leaps and bounds, and at the same time relying on comparatively fragile technology and a very finite power source - reactor grade uranium doesn't exactly grow on trees, you see. At that point, you could expect anything from "Crystal Spires and Togas" to something along the lines of "Warring City States in the Wastelands". Seeing that the chinese supposedly won, presumably with a heavy touch of either communist or imperial china to boot. It'd be bizarre at best, with the distant past being some obscure side note.

Hell, 300 years in that setting is probably enough for 2-3 extra apocalypses. And don't get me started on the fact that 300 year-old junk is still supposedly working, with just a few dinges and paint scrapes. Not to mention those incredible amounts of powder-based ammunition that still fires after sitting on the shelf for several centuries. Or those fusion cells that manage to power a factory for 300 years, but crap out after 15 minutes of being put in a suit of power armor. The whole world makes so little sense that it's not even funny anymore.

Check Fallout 2, which does a much better job at worldbuilding, and going along with the inherent campiness of the setting.

-Hardenberg
I can see where you're coming from, but I thought that the war ended with everyone losing? And I assume that the fusion cells that are hooked up to the buildings are receiving a constant flow of water to fuel them. :think:

But yeah, I agree with your other points. Maybe the survivors actually managed to scrape together a civilization from the ashes, before it got nuked again? And nobody talks about it because it was an embarrassing experience? :ghost:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Likewise on the Chinese (and others) also being mostly reduced to localized barbarism following a global nuclear exchange.

As for the thought that even the alt-reality tech of the Fallout world should be long since fried by the time of Fallout 3, let's recall that the player character is still driving a car in Fallout 2, which was set about 170 years after the Big One in 2078. If we're determined to apply real-world rules to an invented reality, I would agree that most tech would be toast within a couple of generations following a global nuclear event. But if that's a valid reason to bash Bethesda's Fallout games, then intellectual consistency requires thrashing Black Isle with a stick as well.

Anyone who thinks it's possible to build a world -- for a game -- whose setting is so internally consistent that no one could possibly find any excuse to criticize it should go right ahead and give that a try.

Flatfingers wrote:My word, Victor; what are you going to do when Bethesda decide that having only two key franchises is not safe enough for keeping the studio in business over the long term?

;)

At the rate they deliver sequels to my favourite franchise, Flat, this could be the last TES I get to play. I'm hoping your ideas come to fruition. ;) :angel:

Cornflakes_91 wrote:i want a space game! mass effect-ish would be fine :ghost:

(and to annoy victor more with forced multiplayer :ghost: :squirrel: )
That would annoy me no end, Cornflakes. I'm still trying to get my head around the expenditure on SC. A game I will probably not play much. :angel:

Online Now