Return to “Kickstarter Campaign”

Stretch Goals

So far, many stretch goals have been mentioned in various ways but the associated pledge totals have not been announced.
Including mac/linux support, seamless planet landing and cockpits.

I think stretch goals aren't very productive unless the associated goal is mentioned. If the problem with determining those amounts is that it's yet unknown how popular each feature is (and thus how they should be prioritized), then we should have surveys and debate it. Maybe features that aren't confirmed as stretch goals yet (e.g. translation, social features) will turn out even more popular than those already mentioned.

Okay, okay, I know it seems a little early, since we haven't reached the goal itself, but the $75k stretch goal is already shown on the Home Page, so I think it's time to start a discussion.
Re: Stretch Goals

Atarun wrote:So far, many stretch goals have been mentioned in various ways but the associated pledge totals have not been announced.
Including mac/linux support, seamless planet landing and cockpits.

I think stretch goals aren't very productive unless the associated goal is mentioned. If the problem with determining those amounts is that it's yet unknown how popular each feature is (and thus how they should be prioritized), then we should have surveys and debate it. Maybe features that aren't confirmed as stretch goals yet (e.g. translation, social features) will turn out even more popular than those already mentioned.

Okay, okay, I know it seems a little early, since we haven't reached the goal itself, but the $75k stretch goal is already shown on the Home Page, so I think it's time to start a discussion.
Yes, that's exactly the reason why I haven't announced many yet, because it's hard to tell what people will want the most. I get the sense that multiplayer and seamless landings are the two most coveted, but, of course, they're also the hardest...

I'll start a poll to see what people on the forum think.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Actually, Josh, far more than seamless landings and multiplayer, players want customizable crafts.

I am not certain whether co-op would be easier to implement than full multiplayer (I suspect that it would be) but you could certainly offer it as a steppingstone.

Incidentally, given your own inclination, I am sure that you have more than an inkling about your target audience. As such, Mac OS and Linux versions should be definitely featured prominently in any stretch goals announcements, even if you set a very high target for such support.
I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.

Doh! Missed the poll you posted a full 13 minutes before my post.
I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.

Tom wrote:Actually, Josh, far more than seamless landings and multiplayer, players want customizable crafts.

I am not certain whether co-op would be easier to implement than full multiplayer (I suspect that it would be) but you could certainly offer it as a steppingstone.

Incidentally, given your own inclination, I am sure that you have more than an inkling about your target audience. As such, Mac OS and Linux versions should be definitely featured prominently in any stretch goals announcements, even if you set a very high target for such support.
I wonder what makes you so sure you know what we backers want. I for one couldn't care less about multiplayer (social features are cool, but I wouldn't play MP even if it were available), seamless landings or MacOS/Linux support. Customizable ships sound great but I was under the impression there were already included somewhat in the goal.

Obviously, I alone do not disprove your point... but you yourself cannot prove your point with just your "inkling" about our community either. Which can only mean one thing... Let's poll! :lol:

I have heard many say they don't want multi-player, it is a bit like Marmite you either love multi-player or hate it :)

Certainly I would like it.

You will have a problem of how to pay for server hosting though if you are to provide the massively multi-player option. Elite Dangerous is aiming to sell advantages in game to pay for that rather than a subscription model which is interesting and I suppose goes along with the term "Freemium".

Jason Schupfer wrote:Elite Dangerous is aiming to sell advantages in game to pay for that rather than a subscription model which is interesting and I suppose goes along with the term "Freemium".
Funny... rather than "Freemium", the term "Pay2Win" comes to mind. :roll:

I know a lot of people love multiplayer, but can't there be games out there for us who don't? :cry:

(not saying LT has to be one of those games, but I sure would love to see more love for single-player experiences everywhere :D)

There are quite a few (not enough in my opinion but a ffew ) games out there that offer both a single player and a multi player option with both being rather well balanced in their enjoyment value. and while i did buy the double pack (one for me and my little brother) I knew then that it was a stand alone single layer game. but that bothered me not in the smallest about because for one we could share seeds and explore and help each other without actually being in the same actual game. now if any form of multi play was avalible i still wouldent want to expand my world beyond say me and up to 16 people. as is this game already has greatness oozing from each and every crack and i cant wait to see exactly where it travels from here. and the fact that the developer is on the forums reading our post gives me great satisfaction that he dose care and that he is interested in what we ( and i say that knowing only the people who write get read....) have to say.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

Online Now