Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: The Expanse (scifi series)

It's a dark series. Really dark.

It's so far fairly realistic. Almost to a fault. If your into the sort of sci-fi that skirts into the realm of fantasy, it's not it.

I do like it however, hence my profile picture of course.

It's perhaps too much of a downer to be honest. I'm giving it another season, but if it's just ALL doom and gloom then I'm going to have to let it go. I do like dark stuff, but hell, but there HAS to be blips of light in it to. For me anyways.

edit: (from mod mergered expanse thread)
Last edited by Zanteogo on Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Signature

Zanteogo wrote:It's a dark series. Really dark.

It's so far fairly realistic. Almost to a fault. If your into the sort of sci-fi that skirts into the realm of fantasy, it's not it.

I do like it however, hence my profile picture of course.

It's perhaps too much of a downer to be honest. I'm giving it another season, but if it's just ALL doom and gloom then I'm going to have to let it go. I do like dark stuff, but hell, but there HAS to be blips of light in it to. For me anyways.
Thanks Zanteogo! :thumbup:

I don't like the sound of that at all. It's probably a little too dark for me. :angel:

I was confused too, because I vaguely remembered discovering The Expanse on this forum but the topic I replied to later wasn't familiar at all :think:

I'm willing to bet that the original mention of 2001: A Space Odyssey is the reason I jumped into this show, now that I know where I found it.

Aiha wrote:I was confused too, because I vaguely remembered discovering The Expanse on this forum but the topic I replied to later wasn't familiar at all :think:

I'm willing to bet that the original mention of 2001: A Space Odyssey is the reason I jumped into this show, now that I know where I found it.
Actually, after watching a whole season I would say it's a unholy merger of Space Odyssey, Mass Effect (video game), and Aliens (James Cameron).

Of course Miller is just a cool character, might be the only reason why I watch the show.
My Signature

Mistycica wrote:2017 can't come soon enough. I might just read the books while waiting for Season 2.
I got the first three books in a boxed set for Christmas. As soon as I finish the Safehold book I'm reading, I may start them next. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safehold
Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I have seen, it seem to me most strange, that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come.

I started watching this TV series around seven weeks ago, a chapter every week. Only three chapters left. Excellent so far. Besides, I'm a big fan of Thomas Jane, and Steven Strait and Jared Harris both do a wonderful job as well.
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

I watched the first episode of season 2 and certainly enjoyed it.

I noticed they really speed up the pace with the main plot. They covered more in this one episode than the whole last season. I'm not sure if they plan on sticking to this or if they will slow down for all the mid season episodes.

They added in some more "less dark" and somewhat "light hearted" moments in-between the massively dark parts. Of course in true expanse fashion they have to end the episode on a dark somewhat depressing note. ;)
My Signature

I caught up to EP05 today.

This is the best damn forum RPG AAR I've ever seen. I'm intentionally watching the broad strokes for RPG tropes and tidbits, and it's so satisfying, I can only hope to once get a game this amazing going. Even if the rough edges were lost in translation to book to film, it's still a campaign with a scope and execution that I'm horribly envious of.
panic

Online Now