Return to “General”

Re: Proof

JoshParnell wrote:In fact Tal is the one who directed me to this thread, so you can thank him for that ;)

But I think there is an automated solution, I'm looking into it at the moment.

Phone rings. "Hello?" "Hello, this is the Josh Parnell LT update robo-call informing you of the latest update. Please press 1 to continue."

Something like this??? :lol:
Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

Vartul wrote:
Hyperion wrote:Josh, you give my imagination the biggest boners :roll:
You had to make it weird, didn't you. :roll:
That is my mission in life :) You should come to IRC, I'm pretty tame on the forums by comparison :shifty:

Module instancing is actually proving to be a slightly difficult problem to hash out. Getting a good way to track 10,000 eventual variations on a single blueprint for every single blueprint without making the system cry is probably doable, but is beyond my realm of expertise. Just as a brief outline of my (probably dumb) thoughts, because this isnt really the place for it:

Blueprints are folders, but also instructions coded with the particular Tech stats. Inside the folder is a registry of every unique instance yet made and its stats, each tagged with the owner and where it's used. The owner and usage tags change freely via trade & plunder.

The currently simulated blueprints are known scripts, executed as necessary, changing the stats of the given instance.

Players & NPCs can also execute their own scripts (aftermarket modifications, improved/shoddy construction techniques & materials, overclocking, etc)on a particular instance which also changes the instance stats, but are wholly different from blueprint scripts. Such modifications don't affect the registry serial, but can affect the Human-readable name.

Destroyed instances (or intact but attached to destroyed ships/stations) continue to exist in the registry for potential salvage and reactivation until cleanup.

Temporary instances can also be attached with semi-random stats to permanent debris fields, but disappear as soon as a player is out of range.

Is this efficient? No idea :lol:
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

The IRC can be a NSFW place sometimes, which is why we need more Josh. :lol: ;)

Some new screenshots could make this place pretty NSFW too, at least until a janitor can clean up the mess :roll:
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Hyperion wrote:The IRC can be a NSFW place sometimes, which is why we need more Josh. :lol: ;)

Some new screenshots could make this place pretty NSFW too, at least until a janitor can clean up the mess :roll:
JoshParnell wrote: Oh lord. I'm surprised I didn't see that coming :silent: (OTOH, I do recognize the abuse potential of what I just said)
Deep breaths now Hyperion...! :silent:
:D
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Just logged in for the first time in the last 6 months to say FUCK YA PYTHON!

Not only do I code in python on a daily basis, but the JIT is a thing of beauty. I cant wait to see the what the Josh + CPython magic can do. This is going to make writing LT mods sooooo much easier. Please please please in the feburary 2015 update (its still coming right? :ghost: ) have a quick discussion of how to add custom generation scripts to LT. Cant wait to write my space-whale mod!

thesilverspanch wrote:Just logged in for the first time in the last 6 months to say frak YA PYTHON!

Not only do I code in python on a daily basis, but the JIT is a thing of beauty. I cant wait to see the what the Josh + CPython magic can do. This is going to make writing LT mods sooooo much easier. Please please please in the feburary 2015 update (its still coming right? :ghost: ) have a quick discussion of how to add custom generation scripts to LT. Cant wait to write my space-whale mod!
Welcome back thesilverspanch :)

Maybe you could add some Python snippets/ Preferred IDE/ favourite Python resources to this thread:
How to program in Python + Paste Code for review/help

Please???! :lol: :D
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Hey All. im new here. Just posting because I found out about limit theory from reddit a couple hours ago and have been watching dev logs and getting up to date with the current state of development since then. What I cant find, is some low effort way to stay up to date with development (twitter, facebook, steam, etc). Skimming the posts in this thread seem to suggest that something like that doesnt exist yet though...

Online Now