Return to “Games”

Re: Voxel Quest

Charley_Deallus wrote:I pre-paid for 3 copies so my best friends and I could possibly do an adventure with it.
Should still happen! :thumbup: Like Josh, Gavan found he'd tackled something a bit bigger than he expected, I think, but he's making good progress. We're also considering hiring someone else to help code, to speed things up.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Charley_Deallus wrote:I pre-paid for 3 copies so my best friends and I could possibly do an adventure with it.
Should still happen! :thumbup: Like Josh, Gavan found he'd tackled something a bit bigger than he expected, I think, but he's making good progress. We're also considering hiring someone else to help code, to speed things up.
Who better than a planet with hair and shades!?! :lol:
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

So.. It doen't look like anyone has said anything yet so I guess it's up to me.

Sadly, the lone developer of this project has stated that he can no longer work on Voxel Quest full time because he has ran out of support money.

Though he didn't go right out and say it, it seems that it's likely we will never see this project come to completion. It seems, almost certainly, not to the scope that was originally outlined.

Someone like Talvieno may be able to give more details has he is closer to the project than myself.

If I am mistaken on any of this, please correct me.
My Signature

Hey Zanteogo! Yeah, I thought I posted something here. I guess I didn't.

Gavan ran out of money because the guy supporting him (Tristan) lost his job due to budget cuts. Tristan has been providing Gavan with the money to live off of for the past three years (minus the months the Kickstarter funds provided). When that money went dry, Gavan was left without any real options except to look for a "real" job. He's not giving up on his dream, though - it's just a setback. He and I still keep in close contact and he's still working on Voxel Quest. He wants to get the engine out there soon because he's hoping that giving it to people to play with might open up some new avenues of opportunity for him so he could keep working full-time.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Like most of his KS backers I've told Gavan to keep my pledge. He's been an inspiration for many and will no doubt continue to be so for many years to come. The man has real talent and I will continue to watch the development of Voxel Quest. The patreon was a good idea to help with the internet expenses. I'm sure he will have no problem finding suitable work to sustain him in his efforts to produce such a revolutionary engine for his game.

I was sorry to read of the misfortune of his very generous backer, Tristran. I hope his fortunes improve. :angel:

http://www.voxelquest.com/news/another-update
Gavan wrote:I am moving on to a fulltime job [...]
The good news is that I am making all of Voxel Quest fully open source (MIT or similar, every iteration of the engine will be available), and I am doing a little bit of work to make things ready for this (I am even attempting to buy rights to the sprite sheet that Voxel Quest uses, which is a 3rd party asset). Stay tuned for more on this.
[...]
I will attempt to provide as much support as I reasonably can to help people understand the source, and I will also probably chip in on the github repository every so often. But overall I will not be making great strides in the short term. I am hoping that someone can eventually make a commercial product with it, and that might kick up interest a bit.

For those curious, I am soon going to start contracting at OpenAI, with potential to move full time.
Long live VQ! :ghost:
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Baile nam Fonn wrote:http://www.voxelquest.com/news/another-update
Gavan wrote: For those curious, I am soon going to start contracting at OpenAI, with potential to move full time.
Long live VQ! :ghost:
VQ + OpenAI...

Yeah... this might be a problem. :V
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

His addional update pretty much confrimed what he had said in the previous. Voxel Quest is not coming. (unless someone takes over, but lets me honest, even if someone did it would probally turn into something way different than the original vision)

Not that I am happy with another failed kickstarter game, I don't have any feelings of malice towards Galvan.

It was an interesting attempt anyways.
My Signature

Zanteogo wrote:His addional update pretty much confrimed what he had said in the previous. Voxel Quest is not coming. (unless someone takes over, but lets me honest, even if someone did it would probally turn into something way different than the original vision)

Not that I am happy with another failed kickstarter game, I don't have any feelings of malice towards Galvan.

Hey, free voxel engine out of it. :V
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:
Zanteogo wrote:His addional update pretty much confrimed what he had said in the previous. Voxel Quest is not coming. (unless someone takes over, but lets me honest, even if someone did it would probally turn into something way different than the original vision)

Hey, free voxel engine out of it. :V
Indeed. It isn't the procedural living world RPG I was excited for, but it's one very impressive voxel engine nonetheless.
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Online Now