Return to “Suggestions”

Fleet Battles

to start off this would be more or less a side mode for LT.
The player would be able to choose some from preset load outs such as fighter squadron, carrier w/ fighters, and full fleets (You get the picture).the enemy ai would be outfitted the same as the player and both spawned in a single galaxy where tactics are the only key to victory.
just a quick thought before I hit the sack. throughout tomorrow I will get some more ideas for the topic and put them on.

Thoughts?
Re: Fleet Battles

you already suggested that one and a half years ago and as others joined in on that thread you didnt post anything anymore in it :V

http://forums.ltheory.com/viewtopic.php ... 417#p81417

oh, actually you did, just in no way that anyone could have seen.

well.

so you're thinking of homeworld-like gameplay?

or more along the lines of Nexus: The Jupiter Incident with a fixed amount of ships available at start and thats it?

This isn't a bad idea for a sandbox setting to just test ship builds and tactics. I would definitely limit the size of the system to something the length of a normal warp node rail. I'd then do as you suggest and load up ship builds from a particular seed, load them up with particular weapons, and then test my skills against AI in an interstellar chess match.

The more I think about this idea, the more I want to have it. Not only would it be fun, but it allows the player to test their skills without the possibility of losing expensive assets.

another thought for the mode but how about a option for a small defenseless base to repair ships. I believe this could be useful for this mode as you would have to divide your forces more carefully to protect your base and take out the enemy. and it could also add more gameplay and strategic options. (Destroy the enemy base and they can no longer repair themselves) thoughts?

Sounds good to me. I'd just make it so that any and all structures and ships could be imported into the sandbox, and have a setting that scales the size of the arena. It could be called the VR room in the game menu as that's basically what it is. A game within the game.

So, 1 system (also called a 'room') which can be set to a particular size.
The player has the ability to use this room to test out new war ship designs, tactics, or just get more familiar with the controls.
Any game asset can be loaded into the room
Maybe set up objectives, or some basic team logic

I am always up for stuff like this! I like the idea.

Might I also suggest that implementing something akin to Carrier Command would be a cool twist as well. Adding LT's ship design system to that game would be really cool.

If we generalize, a "scenario" mode, like what Mount and Blade had, would be pretty useful. Vanilla LT might just have a bunch of options for various skirmishes for practice as BFett suggested, but letting modders have an easy route to make custom game start scenarios without messing with the main game would be great.

[Edited because I repeat phrases too much]
Libertas per Technica

I'm happy to help! I should have loads of time over the summer months before I head off to college and I could use some experience working on an actual project instead of random ASCII games that never quite pan out.
Libertas per Technica

Online Now