Return to “Technical”

Re: PCG Boundary Conditions

eq2k wrote:I was imagining to myself if things where the other way around, i.e. massive ship carrying a very tiny one, would it mean the ship would expand to fit or look like a fly landing in a vast expanse :)
I like the idea of 1000 tiny flies swarming out of my carrier and blasting the enemy dreadnought.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

JoshParnell wrote:but I will make sure that the effects of docking and undocking convey that the docking process is not simply 'moving into the bay', but rather a matter of having the ship compressed / decompressed to/from the bay (insert cool energy phasing effects here).
So no normal hangarbays where fighters simply launch off like in all those nice pewpew SciFi Movies? This compressed/decomplressed solution sounds really aweful to be honest :cry:

zaknafein wrote:
JoshParnell wrote:but I will make sure that the effects of docking and undocking convey that the docking process is not simply 'moving into the bay', but rather a matter of having the ship compressed / decompressed to/from the bay (insert cool energy phasing effects here).
So no normal hangar bays where fighters simply launch off like in all those nice pewpew SciFi Movies? This compressed/decompressed solution sounds really awful to be honest :cry:
Well, I guess someone could always mod it in the way you describe. It just won't be as efficient as the default mode because of wasted space between the fighters.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
BFett wrote: It just won't be as efficient as the default mode because of wasted space between the fighters.
wat.

it wouldnt be as efficient space wise in RL, but what does that concern us?

fighter docks, goes "poof", becomes a number in the hangar window and when it launches the whole process reverses.
But that's exactly what zaknafein doesn't want. Assuming I understand him correctly.

BFett wrote: But that's exactly what zaknafein doesn't want. Assuming I understand him correctly.
from what i understood its just the actual docking act, not how they are stored.

think of how it works in the homeworld series, carriers dont actually have the internal space for all those parasite ships, the parasites fly into some hole and the actual "poof" is hidden behind geometry/some glow.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
BFett wrote: But that's exactly what zaknafein doesn't want. Assuming I understand him correctly.
from what i understood its just the actual docking act, not how they are stored.

think of how it works in the homeworld series, carriers dont actually have the internal space for all those parasite ships, the parasites fly into some hole and the actual "poof" is hidden behind geometry/some glow.
I assume he wants standard docking, similar to that of Homeworld where the ship's "poof" is hidden so it conveys the effect of the ship actually emerging from the carrier. Josh proposed a visual "poof" due to the proposed mass-based volume system. The mass-based system is important to gameplay imho but I'm not sure how nice the "poof" will look, we'll see.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

yeah i ment the visual part of ships actually flying into the hangarbay/area like in the X games for example.
as far as i understand joshs writing it´ll more look like a compressed container is beeing launched off the hangar and then decompressing itself rather than a classical fighter launch.

pewpew style scifi with classic aircraft carrier launches are a bit boring imo. The mass compression for hangars is actually quite innovative. It is of course just my opinion, but if we allow for the concept of mass (de)compression, it opens up a whole new realm of interesting gameplay, such as hiding a missile battery in an unassuming (but unusually dense) cargo container to surround your enemy with a surprise attack from all sides... missile-mines if you will.

mass compression technology means ships can be like TARDIS's, bigger on the inside by compressing their internal modules, and fighter-sized ships can actually be super advanced carriers.

Graphicswise, I don't think compression and decompression needs to be boring, and with some particles and light effects, you could have ships bloom into a larger size like flowers in a visually unique display.
Spoiler:      SHOW
Death to unimaginative and overused visuals and mechanics. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Online Now