Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: Little Questions Thread

So currently when your main character dies, you can switch to an alt character. This character then "inherits" half of the skill/stat points to upgrade himself.

However, isn't it possible that this would lead to balancing problems? Mainly later on in the game.

Consider this scenario:

My main character managed to survive 7 missions, this means that he has earned a lot of skill/stat points (70 each iirc) and was thus able to upgrade a lot. Then the main character dies and the player switches to his/her alt character. This alt character then "inherits" half of the skill/stat points (35).
However because of this the alt character is only equivalent to a character that only survived for 3 a 4 missions.

Now mission 8 starts and the alt char is paired with characters that did survive the 7 previous missions (let's say that the majority survived the 7 missions and the alt char is the only one who didn't).
Now when selecting enemies appropriate for the level of the players you would probably pick enemies that match the level of the majority of the players. However, their level would be much higher than that of the alt character, they would have a lot better stats, making it very hard for the alt character to damage or hit them.

If you would scale the enemy level to that of the alt character, the enemies would then be too easy for the players that did survive the 7 missions.

While this wouldn't really be a balancing problem for a character dying in the first few missions, it could become one in later missions I think.

((Next to stats the alt char would also have the gear of a rookie that just started because of they don't inherit money only inherit half of the money, this would be much less of an issue however since stats play a larger role in combat))

thoughts?
Last edited by Cha0zz on Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

Cha0zz wrote: ((Next to stats the alt char would also have the gear of a rookie that just started because of they don't inherit money, this would be less of an issue however since stats play a larger role in combat))

thoughts?
Alt char also inherits half of the credits your dead char earned. (so not including the first 5)
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Cha0zz wrote:stuff
On the other hand, the higher level you are the less impact those stat point have - at level 1 you could level 7 stats/skills with 35 points whereas at level 3/4 that might be closer to 2 or 3, meaning the actual difference in stats might not be as large as you fear.
eg, I'll have levelled up 4 stats going from level 1 to 4 (3 level-ups) and will level 2 more from 4 to 7 (also 3 level-ups).

Cha0zz wrote:So currently when your main character dies, you can switch to an alt character. This character then "inherits" half of the skill/stat points to upgrade himself.

However, isn't it possible that this would lead to balancing problems? Mainly later on in the game.

Consider this scenario:

My main character managed to survive 7 missions, this means that he has earned a lot of skill/stat points (70 each iirc) and was thus able to upgrade a lot. Then the main character dies and the player switches to his/her alt character. This alt character then "inherits" half of the skill/stat points (35).
However because of this the alt character is only equivalent to a character that only survived for 3 a 4 missions.

Now mission 8 starts and the alt char is paired with characters that did survive the 7 previous missions (let's say that the majority survived the 7 missions and the alt char is the only one who didn't).
Now when selecting enemies appropriate for the level of the players you would probably pick enemies that match the level of the majority of the players. However, their level would be much higher than that of the alt character, they would have a lot better stats, making it very hard for the alt character to damage or hit them.

If you would scale the enemy level to that of the alt character, the enemies would then be too easy for the players that did survive the 7 missions.

While this wouldn't really be a balancing problem for a character dying in the first few missions, it could become one in later missions I think.

((Next to stats the alt char would also have the gear of a rookie that just started because of they don't inherit money only inherit half of the money, this would be much less of an issue however since stats play a larger role in combat))

thoughts?
This is hardly a "little question", but I'll just remind you that I'm designing the missions myself, and I'll always allow different objectives for different people based on ability. Of course, if you decide to take on a superboss solo with your level 1 character, that's your own fault and I wash my hands of it. :) I can only give you the option of a suitable objective. I can't keep you from charging boss rooms or blowing open hangars full of enemies.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote: This is hardly a "little question", but I'll just remind you that I'm designing the missions myself, and I'll always allow different objectives for different people based on ability. Of course, if you decide to take on a superboss solo with your level 1 character, that's your own fault and I wash my hands of it. :) I can only give you the option of a suitable objective. I can't keep you from charging boss rooms or blowing open hangars full of enemies.
But bonsaaaaiii :cry:

Also, might wanna make it somewhat clearer what the hard and easy objectives are next mission - the fact that the dogfight with small fighters was way harder than approaching, boarding and taking over an entire armed corvette with shields wasn't very obvious :ghost:

Talvieno wrote: This is hardly a "little question", but I'll just remind you that I'm designing the missions myself, and I'll always allow different objectives for different people based on ability. Of course, if you decide to take on a superboss solo with your level 1 character, that's your own fault and I wash my hands of it. :) I can only give you the option of a suitable objective. I can't keep you from charging boss rooms or blowing open hangars full of enemies.
Yeah I know, I wasn't sure where to put it :?
So you would be kinda pushing people in certain roles?
Also, I wasn't thinking about bosses but more on 1 vs 1 characters level. I think it would be pretty hard to build a combat centred character when the enemies you'll meet would be a couple of levels higher than you are.
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

Dinosawer wrote:
But bonsaaaaiii :cry:

Also, might wanna make it somewhat clearer what the hard and easy objectives are next mission - the fact that the dogfight with small fighters was way harder than approaching, boarding and taking over an entire armed corvette with shields wasn't very obvious :ghost:
:lol: I'll make it more obvious next mission, sure. I kind of figured it ought to be obvious, though, because Brecalus and the other NPCs were volunteering to stay outside and take care of it all while suggesting the rookies board the ship. I don't know how to make it much more obvious than that, unless you want me to say ((HELLO. THE EASY OBJECTIVES ARE INSIDE THE SHIP. FIGHTING THE FIGHTERS WILL BE TOUGH. THANK YOU.))
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote::lol: I'll make it more obvious next mission, sure. I kind of figured it ought to be obvious, though, because Brecalus and the other NPCs were volunteering to stay outside and take care of it all while suggesting the rookies board the ship. I don't know how to make it much more obvious than that, unless you want me to say ((HELLO. THE EASY OBJECTIVES ARE INSIDE THE SHIP. FIGHTING THE FIGHTERS WILL BE TOUGH. THANK YOU.))
I was referring to the shieldmaidens, not the science vessel :ghost:

Cha0zz wrote:
Yeah I know, I wasn't sure where to put it :?
So you would be kinda pushing people in certain roles?
Also, I wasn't thinking about bosses but more on 1 vs 1 characters level. I think it would be pretty hard to build a combat centred character when the enemies you'll meet would be a couple of levels higher than you are.
No, not entirely, but yes, if you're a more powerful character, you should probably expect to see more combat. Not always, but often. Sometimes it will just mean there are smarter enemies, or more difficult terrain, or things that are harder to hack, or maneuver around, or outthink, or repair, or detect, or... you get the idea. Because combat-oriented skills make up between 25 and 80% of the skill list (depending on what you're using the skills for), missions will always lean somewhat towards combat. Plus, combat is just more exciting. (This particular mission has a lot more combat than you'll usually see though.)

As to the boss thing, it was just an example. I won't send you at enemies that are at levels much higher than you unless I give you something to balance it out, be it numbers, tactical position, or something else.

Dinosawer wrote:
Talvieno wrote::lol: I'll make it more obvious next mission, sure. I kind of figured it ought to be obvious, though, because Brecalus and the other NPCs were volunteering to stay outside and take care of it all while suggesting the rookies board the ship. I don't know how to make it much more obvious than that, unless you want me to say ((HELLO. THE EASY OBJECTIVES ARE INSIDE THE SHIP. FIGHTING THE FIGHTERS WILL BE TOUGH. THANK YOU.))
I was referring to the shieldmaidens, not the science vessel :ghost:
Eh well, I figured the shieldmaidens would get taken out early on anyway. That's why they were a prerequisite for landing on the science vessel, with the threat of fighters hanging ominously in the air. Now, if it had been the other way around - with taking out fighters being a prerequisite for landing on the science vessel with the threat of two armed corvettes hanging ominously above your heads - then I probably would've set the corvettes up to blast you to kingdom come.

With the latest armory update you stated "As infantry, you are now allowed to fire the same weapon more than once per turn without penalty, provided your total shots from all weapons do not exceed your infantry weight limit". Does this mean that I can now fire my assault rifle at 3 different targets, and or 3 times at the same target per turn?

If so, could this please be added to the wiki.

a) Yes, as long as you don't fire other weapons. With 1 energy you can fire 3 times (heavy weapons count double, obviously), with 2/3 energy 4 times etc., with whichever combination of weapons. (Ammo limitations still apply, of course)
b) It already is
All this also applies to infantry weapons, with the addition of the following:
  • When firing infantry weapons, you are allowed to use the same weapon multiple times without penalty, so long as you don't fire more times than your weapon limit.
  • As soon as you breach your weapon limit, you will begin incurring penalties on all your non-Amp Unit weapon rolls. The number of dice rolled per weapon action will be the same as the number of shots you go above your limit, plus one. Only the rolls starting from the same number as your weapon limit and beyond will incur these penalties.
  • All heavy weapons (with the exception of the PSI Pack) count as two weapon shots according to the above rules. This means that if your limit is four items, you can fire your heavy weapon up to twice in a turn without penalty.
  • PSI Units use a Willpower-based weapon limit. This rolls separately from the standard energy weapon limit. With +2 Willpower and +2 Energy, you could use three amp units and four standard weapons. Each would roll separately; e.g. you could go over your infantry weapon limit without incurring penalties to your amp rolls.
  • You can dual-wield (without penalty) two one-handed weapons/items. This gives you the advantage of doing 2 attacks at the same time, with the downside that one-handed weapons are generally less powerful.
  • You cannot dual-wield a one-handed and a two-handed weapon or 2 two-handed weapons. You have to switch between them during the turn to use them all. This allows you to more damage, but enemies can attack you before you do your attacks.

Online Now