Return to “Games”

Re: Torment: Tides of Numenara

Planescape: Torment is probably the best written cRPG I have played thus far.

The narrative itself is engaging and thoughtful however, for me, the NPCs were the highlight of the game. They had depth and the potential for interaction grew and shifted based on the protagonist's choices. Be sure to initiate conversations frequently as you make your way through the story (especially with party members).

Gameplay at times becomes a purely secondary concern. Though I relished the nuanced dialogues and wealth of information presented throughout Torment, I can see how the frequent use of walls of text might wear on the patience of some. In my mind, the payoff for getting invested in the setting and the characters is a uniquely diverting and moving experience.
I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.

Tom wrote:Planescape: Torment is probably the best written cRPG I have played thus far.

The narrative itself is engaging and thoughtful however, for me, the NPCs were the highlight of the game. They had depth and the potential for interaction grew and shifted based on the protagonist's choices. Be sure to initiate conversations frequently as you make your way through the story (especially with party members).

Gameplay at times becomes a purely secondary concern. Though I relished the nuanced dialogues and wealth of information presented throughout Torment, I can see how the frequent use of walls of text might wear on the patience of some. In my mind, the payoff for getting invested in the setting and the characters is a uniquely diverting and moving experience.
I heartily agree with your thoughts on the NPCs, Tom. :D I have absolutely no problem with walls of text - in fact, I'm getting a great deal of enjoyment out of reading everything they have to say. (Almost everything, anyway, as I've already discovered that certain dialogue options can have an adverse affect on your reputation.) So far, the experience as a whole has been very much worth it, and I imagine it's only going to get better as I go along.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

HowSerendipitous wrote:Mildly annoyed by this.... I backed it at Collector's Edition level (128 USD) and, um, it's now out for early access and I don't get a key? Seriously? :?

Blah.
They released the beta to applicable backers Jan 21. See KS update 53:
If you pledged at a level which comes with beta test access, you can get your Steam key by logging in with your Torment account, visiting the Rewards page, and clicking the "Manage Keys" button you see there.
I didn't see a $128 level on KS, so I assume you got the Limited Collector's Edition from the inXile pledge store (which is now $148). If so, this package does not look like it comes with beta (a.k.a. Steam Early Access) access. :(
Reward: Torment: Tides of Numenera - Limited Collector's Edition (14,800)

This exclusive collector's edition boxed copy includes the Torment game, printed game manual, cloth map, printed concept art book, CD soundtrack by Mark Morgan, your name in the game's credits, and much more! No extra shipping fee.

This reward includes the following item(s):

3 Free Digital Issues of RETRO magazine
Access to Official Torment Community
Cloth Map
Comic Book by Colin McComb & Adam Heine (Digital)
Hi-res Digital Concept Art
Novella - From the Depths: Gold by Adam Heine (Digital) [Available NOW]
Novella - From the Depths: Indigo by Ray Vallese (Digital) [Available NOW]
Novella by Colin McComb (Digital)
Novella by Monte Cook (Digital)
Novella by Mur Lafferty (Digital)
Novella by Nathan Long (Digital)
Novella by Tony Evans (Digital)
Planescape: Torment Developer Retrospective
Printed Torment Concept Art Book
Printed Torment Game Manual
Thanks in Credits (Oddity Level)
Torment Concept Art Book (Digital)
Torment Game Manual (Digital)
Torment Map (Digital)
Torment Strategy Guide (Digital)
Torment: Tides of Numenera - Limited Collector's Edition
Torment: Tides of Numenera (Digital)
Torment: Tides of Numenera Original Soundtrack (Digital)
Torment: Tides of Numenera Original Soundtrack Audio CD
That said, as far as I can tell it seems that inXile is still debating whether the beta key will be separate from the release key or not. As it happens, I have a beta key that I won't use (no time or desire to beta test anymore), and if they wind up deciding to have the keys separate like Pillars of Eternity did, I will give you my beta key if you'd like it. Or, you can always purchase beta access for $20 from the pledge store.

They explicitly had "Beta Access" as a pledge addon. Those that pledged for this addon also get in on the early access on Steam.

I agree that it might seem weird and unfair that backers are not given early access regardless of their pledge. Yet I can understand why they chose to do it this way. If they gave all backers early access, this would be unfair to those that actually pledged to get in early. Wouldn't they have to refund those backers that pledged for the addon then? This would certainly open up a few worm-filled cans...

I remember taking a conscious decision not to bother with Beta access, because I rather jump in when the game is finished. Likewise, I don't care for the early access. Actually, if I did change my mind now, I can buy the addon on my inXile account for 2000 points. Which in my case didn't cost me a dime. If you don't have the points, I belive it would cost about $20 which is less than what you would pay for Early Access.

Edit: ah, yes...what mojobie said :thumbup:
old-fashioned :ghost:

mojobie wrote:
HowSerendipitous wrote:Mildly annoyed by this.... I backed it at Collector's Edition level (128 USD) and, um, it's now out for early access and I don't get a key? Seriously? :?

Blah.
They released the beta to applicable backers Jan 21. See KS update 53:
If you pledged at a level which comes with beta test access, you can get your Steam key by logging in with your Torment account, visiting the Rewards page, and clicking the "Manage Keys" button you see there.
I didn't see a $128 level on KS, so I assume you got the Limited Collector's Edition from the inXile pledge store (which is now $148). If so, this package does not look like it comes with beta (a.k.a. Steam Early Access) access. :(
Reward: Torment: Tides of Numenera - Limited Collector's Edition (14,800)

This exclusive collector's edition boxed copy includes the Torment game, printed game manual, cloth map, printed concept art book, CD soundtrack by Mark Morgan, your name in the game's credits, and much more! No extra shipping fee.

This reward includes the following item(s):

3 Free Digital Issues of RETRO magazine
Access to Official Torment Community
Cloth Map
Comic Book by Colin McComb & Adam Heine (Digital)
Hi-res Digital Concept Art
Novella - From the Depths: Gold by Adam Heine (Digital) [Available NOW]
Novella - From the Depths: Indigo by Ray Vallese (Digital) [Available NOW]
Novella by Colin McComb (Digital)
Novella by Monte Cook (Digital)
Novella by Mur Lafferty (Digital)
Novella by Nathan Long (Digital)
Novella by Tony Evans (Digital)
Planescape: Torment Developer Retrospective
Printed Torment Concept Art Book
Printed Torment Game Manual
Thanks in Credits (Oddity Level)
Torment Concept Art Book (Digital)
Torment Game Manual (Digital)
Torment Map (Digital)
Torment Strategy Guide (Digital)
Torment: Tides of Numenera - Limited Collector's Edition
Torment: Tides of Numenera (Digital)
Torment: Tides of Numenera Original Soundtrack (Digital)
Torment: Tides of Numenera Original Soundtrack Audio CD
That said, as far as I can tell it seems that inXile is still debating whether the beta key will be separate from the release key or not. As it happens, I have a beta key that I won't use (no time or desire to beta test anymore), and if they wind up deciding to have the keys separate like Pillars of Eternity did, I will give you my beta key if you'd like it. Or, you can always purchase beta access for $20 from the pledge store.
Yah, I'm an Oddity Collector. Thanks for the offer, but in all fairness I might as well wait for the finished product. No sense in raging and screaming about it on Kickstarter either, it just irks me a little bit.
plillevold wrote:They explicitly had "Beta Access" as a pledge addon. Those that pledged for this addon also get in on the early access on Steam.

I agree that it might seem weird and unfair that backers are not given early access regardless of their pledge. Yet I can understand why they chose to do it this way. If they gave all backers early access, this would be unfair to those that actually pledged to get in early. Wouldn't they have to refund those backers that pledged for the addon then? This would certainly open up a few worm-filled cans...

I remember taking a conscious decision not to bother with Beta access, because I rather jump in when the game is finished. Likewise, I don't care for the early access. Actually, if I did change my mind now, I can buy the addon on my inXile account for 2000 points. Which in my case didn't cost me a dime. If you don't have the points, I belive it would cost about $20 which is less than what you would pay for Early Access.

Edit: ah, yes...what mojobie said :thumbup:
Yup, $20.... They've already got enough of my money, hahaha. :squirrel:

Still, I had a read of the reviews on Steam and it's looking good so far. And Pillars of Eternity was totally awesome.

Online Now