Return to “General”

Re: Limit Theory in the News

Stanford graduate
I thought Josh put his classes on hold, and isn't actually a graduate, yet.

Also, 6 months to beta :ghost:
Like we haven't heard that before, he probably just made that up ;)

Hugs Josh for 10 seconds longer than is appropriate for just friends. :shifty:
Last edited by Hyperion on Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Here's what I recommend:
Do not under any circumstances release a Beta in six months. A Josh Parnell who can keep to deadlines does not exist. You'll get people outside your office holding signs saying, "Who are you and what have you done with the real Josh??!!"
:ghost:
Seriously though, I'll actually probably be disappointed if a Beta comes out in six months. It would mean less time spent making LT the best space game ever outside of hardcore spaceflight sims. :squirrel:
Take your time or I'll take it from you! :twisted:

--IronDuke
Knowledge is Power, and Power goes in Cars.
I-War 2 thread
Epic Limit Theory Limerick

http://theadvocate.com/news/14649715-75 ... as-tenants

Had to give a presentation to the 'board' today at work to be 'officially' accepted into the Tech Park (despite the fact that I've had an office and been working there for...a long time now...would have been pretty awkward had they say 'nah, get out' :ghost: ).

They were very pleased with what they saw :D Apparently several wanted to be on my advisory team, so I've now got some serious businessfolk who will be helping me structure the timeline / work / everything else as we get closer to release (I can almost feel the communal sigh of relief at the thought of Josh having some form of 'project management' team!) :)

Woo :thumbup:

PS ~ This article is actually how I learned that they voted 'yes' on Procedural Reality / LT. Hehe. Although I guess someone would have broken down my door and told me to get out had they voted no :monkey:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:http://theadvocate.com/news/14649715-75 ... as-tenants

Had to give a presentation to the 'board' today at work to be 'officially' accepted into the Tech Park (despite the fact that I've had an office and been working there for...a long time now...would have been pretty awkward had they say 'nah, get out' :ghost: ).

They were very pleased with what they saw :D Apparently several wanted to be on my advisory team, so I've now got some serious businessfolk who will be helping me structure the timeline / work / everything else as we get closer to release (I can almost feel the communal sigh of relief at the thought of Josh having some form of 'project management' team!) :)

PS ~ This article is actually how I learned that they voted 'yes' on Procedural Reality / LT. Hehe. Although I guess someone would have broken down my door and told me to get out had they voted no :monkey:

Much congratulations! :D
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

First off a Massive congratulations to wonderboy on impressing his landlords as much as he has impressed us. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Second, the article brings some interesting new details about Limit Theory which I'm sure the Kickstarter Backer's would be interested in knowing.
Parnell said his company and game grew out of a goal to make things easier for people in the tech industry.
Orly? All along you said this was about making your dreamspace game, but I suppose that doesn't sound very professional when presenting it to businessfolk :ghost:
My belief is there is a lot of manual labor going on in a lot of different fields that could be done by the computer, that could be done automated, algorithmically at way less cost, way less manpower, way less wasted resources...

...The idea, Parnell said, is to demonstrate the power of what computers can do when equipped for the task of creating things.
Certainly this has been as much a theme of the LT development with numerous rewrites, rebuilding of architecture, creation of LTSL and workspaces, etc. as the development of the actual nebulae, markets, models, AI, and actual "game" content has been... if not moreso. While ultimately I think it's a brilliant turn of events which gives us SOOOO much more than promised in the kickstarter, it would be fair to say that many of the Kickstarter backers (rightly) feel it's somewhat duplicitous to say you're going to make a game when you're really reinventing the way games are made...with the promised game being the proof of concept. It really depends on how much of the development was an organic evolution from the original promise vs. how much of this Game-Development-Revolution was originally planned in deciding whether you should be criticized or praised.

Personally, I'm thrilled that you are setting the stage for an explosion of tiny game development studios, and definitely feel the delay will be worth the extra payoff (especially since I'm just a fan and not a backer :ghost: ). But it's been pretty clear that not all the backers feel this way, and have every right to be angry, or at least annoyed with you; They wanted a steak and you reinvented cooking to give them a new kind of steak.
The idea for the game drew 5,500 backers on Kickstarter.

Parnell believes at the least twice that number of people will want the game, and possibly 30 to 40 times that number.
Limit Theory the game, yes, you will almost certainly find tens of thousands of people that will adore it and praise you for several decades. Limit Theory the Engine (Which I still insist should be called the Limitless Engine) will however attract an entirely different crowd, hobbyists, educators, and professionals alike will descend upon the engine and create countless projects with the tools you have provided. If it's all that you promise, you are creating the most powerful and effective Imagination Actualizer since pen and paper. I'm sure that will attract more than 200,000 people.
Apparently several wanted to be on my advisory team, so I've now got some serious businessfolk who will be helping me structure the timeline / work / everything else as we get closer to release
I'm actually rather interested is just what your Advisory team will provide you. Please keep us updated on these individuals and what they are doing for you... and what's in it for them.
Last edited by Hyperion on Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

JoshParnell wrote:http://theadvocate.com/news/14649715-75 ... as-tenants

Procedural Reality, founded by Joshua Parnell, expects to release its first game, 'Limit Theory,' this year.
Is that supposed to be there? :ghost: :think:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Online Now