Return to “Games”

Re: StarCraft II

It was €22 today on the German Amazon (compared to the 39.99 official blizzard price), so my copy is on the way :ghost:
In case anyone wants to add me, my battletag is Cockie#2578 .
You can also add me with my email so you can stalk me and see when I play Hearthstone, so if you wanna do that gimme a poke and I'll pm my email adress.
(I won't be playing until early February, though)
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

No, it works on multiple, just not at the same time. Battle.net is like steam when it comes to DRM - you can play the campaign offline as long as you've been logged in before. Things that require you to get stuff from their servers doesn't work when you're not connected, of course. Such as custom levels and skirmish on maps you haven't used yet.

Also, you can play skirmish together on just one copy. There's a free demo of starcraft (if you launch the game as guest - ie someone without account - you get this version) which is normally restricted to 1 race, but while you party up with someone who has the full game you get additional stuff (access to the other races, eg).
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote:No, it works on multiple, just not at the same time. Battle.net is like steam when it comes to DRM - you can play the campaign offline as long as you've been logged in before. Things that require you to get stuff from their servers doesn't work when you're not connected, of course. Such as custom levels and skirmish on maps you haven't used yet.

Also, you can play skirmish together on just one copy. There's a free demo of starcraft (if you launch the game as guest - ie someone without account - you get this version) which is normally restricted to 1 race, but while you party up with someone who has the full game you get additional stuff (access to the other races, eg).
Sadly this is not 100% true, not that I think you're lying or anything. The Battle.net game system employs a similar system to GTA, or rather GTA uses a system similar to Battle.net, not sure which adopted it first as it wasn't always the case with Battle.net either.

The system actually has a semi-variable duration I believe 1-3 months that if you don't login you cannot play the game. So it isn't a "login once and play offline indefinitely" you do have to login from time to time to verify that you own it can yadda yadda.

So in that respect it is still DRM in the form of third party "verification" service which is one of the more severe DRM methods the only thing more severe being this coupled with enforced activation limits. E.g you can only activate it on so many computers. Ubisoft employed/used to employ that with a lot of its games, have no idea if they still do.

TGS is entirely correct there.
But yes, you can play offline, usually.

Talv, SC2 used to run on my craptop which struggled to run FO:NV :V
So your PC can likely handle it. (if you can keep your net up)
If you do get it, let me know which expansion(s) and I'll play with ya. :V
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Dinosawer wrote:omyjosh

Remastered version of Starcraft: Brood War coming this summer:
https://starcraft.com/en-gb/

And end of March, the (non-remastered) StarCraft and Brood War become completely free for all of you heretics who haven't played it :mrgreen:
Looking so forward to this! :o

I played the StarCraft 2 port of the first game before, was pretty neat. :D
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Online Now