Return to “Polls”

Besides English, what languages do you speak?

None. I only speak English.
Total votes: 55 (24%)
German
Total votes: 47 (20%)
Dutch/Afrikaans
Total votes: 14 (6%)
Other North Germanic lang (Norwegian, Danish, Swedish, Icelandic, Faroese)
Total votes: 11 (5%)
Spanish
Total votes: 22 (9%)
Portuguese
Total votes: 4 (2%)
French
Total votes: 22 (9%)
Italian
Other Romance lang (Romanian, Catalan, etc.)
Total votes: 3 (1%)
Greek
Russian
Total votes: 10 (4%)
Other Slavic lang (Polish, Ukrainian, Czech, Bulgarian, etc.)
Total votes: 7 (3%)
Arabic (any dialect)
Total votes: 2 (1%)
Japanese
Total votes: 9 (4%)
Korean
(No votes)
Mandarin or other Chinese dialect (Min, Wu, Yue, Cantonese, etc.)
Tai-Kadai lang (Thai, Lao, etc.)
(No votes)
Indo-Aryan lang (Hindi/Urdu, Punjabi, Gujarati, etc.)
Any notable Conlang (Esperanto, lojban, Interlingua, etc.)
Total votes: 2 (1%)
Other -- Let us know in the comments!
Total votes: 12 (5%)
Total votes: 233
Re: What languages do you speak?

Lum wrote:Or it has nothing to do with popularity but with nationality... :D
Well, I'm Welsh, Caucasian, so in my particular case it had nothing to do with nationality or even family or race - it was a way for me to read the (very) old books on swords so that I could identify a couple of katana in my collection.
--
Mind The Gap

That's nice! I've tried to learn Japanese some 15 years ago. I had a couple Japanese friends from IRC. They lived some 10 years in my home city and just went back to Tokyo to stay there when we've met in a IRC channel. We stayed in contact some 3 years via email and IRC. Good people. Our conversations were always in Spanish, but since I showed some interest, they tried to teach me some Japanese. Back then I knew both Hiragana and Katakana very good and 20 or so Kanji. Basic grammar and syntax. Since then I listen a lot of Japanese pop and rock music, but my language knowledge is almost gone... :shifty:
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Ringu wrote:I speak English first, Japanese and Welsh second, and according to my ex-, Gibberish third.

Oooooh, you speak Welsh? That's such a fascinating language! How did you learn it?

Also, I've been busying myself learning Mandarin Chinese these past few months. Maybe in another few months I'll be advanced enough to add a new speaker to the poll :mrgreen:

普通話是我最喜歡的語言。這麼好聽!但是也這麼難學。
Limit Theory IRC

TheJuggler wrote:Oooooh, you speak Welsh? That's such a fascinating language! How did you learn it?
I'm Welsh, so it was compulsory in school. I never got beyond the basics though, except when I'm drunk, apparently!
Welsh is really quite funny at times, especially when watching Countdown in English and seeing the random consonants spelling the name of your best friend, etc.
Also, I've been busying myself learning Mandarin Chinese these past few months
Nice! I always wanted to learn Chinese but honestly, one language that's hard to read is enough without getting confused.
--
Mind The Gap

TheJuggler wrote:Also, I've been busying myself learning Mandarin Chinese these past few months. Maybe in another few months I'll be advanced enough to add a new speaker to the poll :mrgreen:

普通話是我最喜歡的語言。這麼好聽!但是也這麼難學。
My girlfriend is Chinese and is trying to get me to learn.

I'm really bad at it. :mrgreen:
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)

Ringu wrote:it was a way for me to read the (very) old books on swords so that I could identify a couple of katana in my collection.
:o :o :shock: You have a Sword-collection?? With Katana??? :shock: :shock: That's awesome! Man...I'd really like to see those :?

@Topic: I've only started with "serious" Japanese-learning a year and a half ago. Means that there started a beginners course at a nearby educational school (Not sure if that's the appropriate translation...)
But even before, I often listened to japanese music (I literally started being interested in music with that :oops: ) and there I picked up some vocabulary already...it also seems, that I'm actually doing pretty well at the course. I hope it continues like that :squirrel:
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

F4wk35 wrote::o :o :shock: You have a Sword-collection?? With Katana??? :shock: :shock: That's awesome! Man...I'd really like to see those :?
I have forty-something swords; six katana, none of which are what I'd consider to be *good* pieces - mainly because they'd cost upwards of £100k if they were, and since the 80's it's been illegal to export any blade longer than a few inches out of Japan.

I also take fencing lessons (foil, epee and sabre) with several members of the English National team, and archery at my local club. I just *love* weaponry, plus come the zombie apocalypse I'm covered.
@Topic: I've only started with "serious" Japanese-learning a year and a half ago. Means that there started a beginners course at a nearby educational school (Not sure if that's the appropriate translation...)
Excellent! It's been a *looooong* time since I last spoke it, I'm awfully rusty these days. Definitely try and keep using it, it's really worthwhile!
--
Mind The Gap

Silverware wrote:
Ringu wrote:come the zombie apocalypse I'm covered.
Until you realize the virus transfers via bodily fluids and one spits into your mouth. :V
The bows ensure nothing gets into that kind of range, but if they do break through it's hard to spit when your head is bouncing around on the floor -- just see Michonne :-p
--
Mind The Gap

Online Now