Return to “Scripting & Modding”

Chat integration

Not sure if this has been touched on, if so just move along.

However I was wondering if anyone had any plans to see if chat could be integrated into LT?

More specifically I would like to have access to the IRC in-game. No alt-tabbing just straight up chat. I'll probably go ahead and give this a try once I get my grubby little hands on LT and LTSL.

Thoughts?
:D
Re: Chat integration

Yep I imagine it'd be a pretty easy task for someone who understands IRC (I don't). The net commands will be there for you. I find it somewhat appealing myself...kind of like chat in EVE, except that...you're alone in this universe. Icing on the cake would be something to quickly share screenshots! 'Dude, I spotted Carl the space whale!!!' 'No way man, Carl's just an old LT legend, pics or it didn't happen.' *responds with pic and blows everyone's mind*

That joy of being alone in a crowd. Story of every INT[P,J]'s life? :ghost:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

I can't object, but speaking just for myself I hope all that non-single-player functionality is disabled by default, and that this stuff is tested before shipping to insure that no part of it is accidentally left enabled.
JoshParnell wrote:That joy of being alone in a crowd. Story of every INT[P,J]'s life? :ghost:
Yes, for suitable definitions of "joy." :D

Flatfingers wrote:I can't object, but speaking just for myself I hope all that non-single-player functionality is disabled by default, and that this stuff is tested before shipping to insure that no part of it is accidentally left enabled.
Oh goodness. You know me better than that, Flat. The LT that ships is hardcore singleplayer. On a scale from singleplayer to MMO, it's negative. I'm not making much sense today. :ghost:

JoshParnell wrote:
Flatfingers wrote:I can't object, but speaking just for myself I hope all that non-single-player functionality is disabled by default, and that this stuff is tested before shipping to insure that no part of it is accidentally left enabled.
Oh goodness. You know me better than that, Flat. The LT that ships is hardcore singleplayer. On a scale from singleplayer to MMO, it's negative. I'm not making much sense today. :ghost:
Thats fine, I'm going to beat LT untill it's Mutliplayer :D
And sense be damned! Fun be had!
(Also join us on the IRC)
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Dinosawer wrote:This INFJ quite likes the LT IRC too, since I consider the people there close friends ;)

And IRC is dead simple to implement, really. Connect to a server and send and receive some strings to/from it. SOme of us already have experience by writing IRC bots :ghost:
This is true, even I can do it >.>
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

Cha0zz wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:This INFJ quite likes the LT IRC too, since I consider the people there close friends ;)

And IRC is dead simple to implement, really. Connect to a server and send and receive some strings to/from it. SOme of us already have experience by writing IRC bots :ghost:
This is true, even I can do it >.>
Mine is done in Javascript. :ghost:
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020

Hey, FlatBot is still A Thing, too. :)

And please don't stress on my account, Josh. I'm not freaking out or panicking or otherwise Expressing Grave Concern.

I know that others look forward to connecting their LT to the world. "Single-player by default" is all I'm hoping for. With that having been addressed, I'll go find something else on which to comment unhelpfully. :)

Flatfingers wrote:I know that others look forward to connecting their LT to the world. "Single-player by default" is all I'm hoping for. With that having been addressed, I'll go find something else on which to comment unhelpfully. :)

Yeah, let the community sort out multiplayer for you Josh!
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

JoshParnell wrote:The LT that ships is hardcore singleplayer. On a scale from singleplayer to MMO, it's negative.
Does this mean confirmed Zero Player Mode? :D

As for using an IRC backend, that is used in other instances too. For example, Twitch's chat is an IRC back-end.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote:
JoshParnell wrote:The LT that ships is hardcore singleplayer. On a scale from singleplayer to MMO, it's negative.

As for using an IRC backend, that is used in other instances too. For example, Twitch's chat is an IRC back-end.
No it means a negative player amount, the computer sucks in everyone that tries to play the game, that way no-one can play the game but we're all part of the game.
IT WILL ASSIMILATE US ALL!

:ghost:
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

DWMagus wrote:

I think that's always been a thing...or at least something that we all want and should be pretty easy to do...(LTScreenSaver!)

Also, it's encouraging that so many of you already have some (questionably-malicious? :P ) experience with implementing IRC :P Now we're going to have to watch out for Talv's bots whenever someone creates a public IRC mod for LT :lol:

JoshParnell wrote:I think that's always been a thing...or at least something that we all want and should be pretty easy to do...(LTScreenSaver!)

Also, it's encouraging that so many of you already have some (questionably-malicious? :P ) experience with implementing IRC :P Now we're going to have to watch out for Talv's bots whenever someone creates a public IRC mod for LT :lol:
:squirrel:
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Online Now