Return to “Games”

Re: BattleTech

All Stage 1 (Skirmish Mode) Stretch Goals reached...
On to Stage 2 (Single Player Campaign)
I NEED this to get to Stage 3 at least... Stage 3 (Expanded Mercenary Campaign) is the BattleTech game I've always wanted.
I really don't care about Stage 4 (PvP Multiplayer)

We want it to JUST ABOUT hit Stage 4, so that we get ALL the features of stage 3!!

This looks to be an amazing game, *if* they do all the parts to it.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

So there is a notable lack of anything resembling a screenshot on the kickstarter page (unless I just totally missed it).
HOWEVER, they text does note that they are sharing mech models with MechWarrior Online. If that's the case then here is a link to some screenshots of MWO which I guess can stand in for now:

http://mwomercs.com/media/screenshot

Also at this time we're closing in on $1 Million and 15k backers which is good. Hopefully they'll let us know what the stretch goals for phase 2 are soon but really I just want to get THROUGH (as Silverware pointed out) Stage 3. I really don't care much for multiplayer or a linear? pre-defined story. I just want to run an open ended merc company in the battletech universe with procedurally generated maps/misisons objectives/enemies as well as reputation tracking, financial management, and such. That would be my dream BattleTech game personally (well that and a VR BattleMech piloting game...)

Victor Tombs wrote:I've played all the Mech PC games except MWO. I'm ashamed to say I've never played or even seen the board games. :oops:

Yes, I like the look of this. :thumbup: :angel:
SHAME!
No seriously, just pledge a ton of money so we can hit the Stage 3 and all is forgiven. ;)

I didn't realize how out of touch I was until this Kickstarter. I played the miniature/board game in high school... but haven't played it since. I graduated in '93 and didn't really play it after that but apparently in '94 pretty much every (pre-Clan) mech I remember was removed from the game. Reading about the kickstarter I kept seeing references to the "unseen" so I had to go look it up and that's what they call the ones that were removed. Like I said, pretty much every mech I remember is apparently "unseen", who knew? It's going to be really weird for me to play a BattleTech game without the Archer, Warhammer, Rifleman, Marauder, etc.

On computer I remember playing BattleTech: Crescent Hawk's Inception (turn-based) and BattleTech: Crescent Hawk's revenge (first ever RTS game? It was the precursor to Dune II and the Command and Conquer series).
I also remember playing Mechwarrior 1 and 2 including expansions (I loved MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries) but I don't recall ever playing 3 or 4, given how much I liked Mercenaries I'm not sure how they fell off my radar.
I think MechCommander 1 was the last BattleTech based computer game I played (never played 2)... that came out in '98 so apparently I've been completely out of touch with BattleTech since then. (which is a bit odd because apparently that's 4 years after the "unseen" yet I was completely unaware of that happening...)

Asmodai wrote:
Victor Tombs wrote:I've played all the Mech PC games except MWO. I'm ashamed to say I've never played or even seen the board games. :oops:

Yes, I like the look of this. :thumbup: :angel:
SHAME!
No seriously, just pledge a ton of money so we can hit the Stage 3 and all is forgiven. ;) :
:lol: SHAMELESS, Asmodai :!:

I'll think about it. ;)

Edit: Although, looking at how well the KS is doing I doubt if it will have any problems reaching that goal. :D

We're in the slow part of the campaign now after the initial launch spike and in the large gap between Stage 2 stretch goals and Stage 3...
They ARE doing "Backer Missions" though where they give points for likes, retweets, follows, etc. as well as Weekly missions but that goes toward a different set of mission rewards from the Stretch Goals.
Personally I'd like to see us hit the 56 Mission Reward which puts a cameo of Natasha Kerensky in the campaign. (She was a HUGE figure in the 3025 era and it would be amazing to have her in game). I don't much care about the 60 and 64 Mission Rewards... in fact I'd rather NOT hit 60 because I've promised a friend if we get there I'd double my pledge, rofl.
Anyway if you have facebook and twitter and haven't liked their page, liked their launch announcement, followed their twitter account and retweeted their launch announcement please do so.
If you actually have BattleTech books, gear, etc. and twitter please consider participating in the weekly mission by tweeting a picture of it with the tags #BattleTech and #MyBTStuff (you may also find it amusing to search those tags as browse what others have posted.)

Much though I love Battletech, I'll support them when the game is out. I just don't think it's worth contributing to Kickstarters, unless I'd be like, the deciding vote on whether or not its funded. Yeah, that's not happening. I learned my lesson with Maia and Star Citizen, and, frankly, Limit Theory. If it's gonna be so great, I'll just buy it when it comes out. That's just a better, less stressful attitude.

This is all speaking for myself, of course. No rancour, and no reason others shouldn't support these projects. From now on, I'll just think twice before backing any more crowdfunded projects, or as many times as necessary before I decide it's a bad idea.

Scytale wrote:Much though I love Battletech, I'll support them when the game is out. I just don't think it's worth contributing to Kickstarters, unless I'd be like, the deciding vote on whether or not its funded. Yeah, that's not happening. I learned my lesson with Maia and Star Citizen, and, frankly, Limit Theory. If it's gonna be so great, I'll just buy it when it comes out. That's just a better, less stressful attitude.

This is all speaking for myself, of course. No rancour, and no reason others shouldn't support these projects. From now on, I'll just think twice before backing any more crowdfunded projects, or as many times as necessary before I decide it's a bad idea.
While I understand your frustration having backed the projects you listed myself I would like to point out that both projects mentioned were first time kickstarters for the respective creator. One from a developer out of the industry for over a decade and the other from a first time developer. BattleTech an the other hand is the fourth kickstarter from Harebrained Schemes with the 3 previous all having been delivered and reviewed well. I'm not saying there is ZERO risk but there's significantly less than there is with a first time creator or with someone new to the industry or who has been out of it for many years.

Also while your vote will not be the deciding vote on if it gets funded or not, it was funded in it's most basic form before the kickstarter even started, every little bit does help expand the scope of what eventually gets released. So perhaps just "Star" the project which will email you when there is 48 hours left and maybe if it's close to a stretch goal that interests you you'd consider pitching in to help attain it. Plus you'll likely get the game for cheaper than you will at launch.

Asmodai wrote:
Scytale wrote:Much though I love Battletech, I'll support them when the game is out. I just don't think it's worth contributing to Kickstarters, unless I'd be like, the deciding vote on whether or not its funded. Yeah, that's not happening. I learned my lesson with Maia and Star Citizen, and, frankly, Limit Theory. If it's gonna be so great, I'll just buy it when it comes out. That's just a better, less stressful attitude.

While I understand your frustration having backed the projects you listed myself I would like to point out that both projects mentioned were first time kickstarters for the respective creator. One from a developer out of the industry for over a decade and the other from a first time developer. BattleTech an the other hand is the fourth kickstarter from Harebrained Schemes with the 3 previous all having been delivered and reviewed well. I'm not saying there is ZERO risk but there's significantly less than there is with a first time creator or with someone new to the industry or who has been out of it for many years.

Also while your vote will not be the deciding vote on if it gets funded or not, it was funded in it's most basic form before the kickstarter even started, every little bit does help expand the scope of what eventually gets released. So perhaps just "Star" the project which will email you when there is 48 hours left and maybe if it's close to a stretch goal that interests you you'd consider pitching in to help attain it. Plus you'll likely get the game for cheaper than you will at launch.
You're absolutely right. I'd forgotten that when I first saw this was Kickstarted I was impressed to see it was the same guys who did Shadowrun, so I mean... it's gonna work (probably).

The point is compelling Asmodai, I'll think about it. This is an IP close to my heart.

Looks like we hit Stage 3, the Expanded Mercenary Campaign sometime this past weekend (including PayPal pledges). We hit it earlier today on KS pledges alone. The stretch goals revealed for Stage 3 are a bit underwhelming as there are only 2 (compared to 3 and 4 for the prior stages) and one is just "Legendary Mechs and Mechwarriors" which seems redundant with the Backer Mission goals. The customizable home base at $2 million does sound cool though. Also over the weekend BattleTech passed Shadowrun: Returns to become Harebrained Schemes most funded Kickstarter and we still have over two weeks to go.

Online Now