Return to “Games”

Re: Morrowind

What can't you do in Morrowind? Well, unless you add a mod to give shopkeepers more cash, you can't sell all the tasty loot you'll eventually collect.

Every square foot of my "borrowed" house in Balmora is covered with piles of items I can't sell because no one has enough money to buy them from me in any meaningful quantity -- not the shopkeeper up in Solstheim (from the Bloodmoon expansion), nor even the infamous mudcrab vendor.

It's probably just as well; at this point there's nothing I need that I could buy with the money I'd get from selling all that stuff. Suffice to say, the end-game of Morrowind is... a tad unbalanced economically.

All of which I mention not to knock it, but to contrast it with the later Elder Scrolls games, and of course with whatever the heck the Limit Theory economy winds up looking like.

Flatfingers wrote:What can't you do in Morrowind? Well, unless you add a mod to give shopkeepers more cash, you can't sell all the tasty loot you'll eventually collect.

Every square foot of my "borrowed" house in Balmora is covered with piles of items I can't sell because no one has enough money to buy them from me in any meaningful quantity -- not the shopkeeper up in Solstheim (from the Bloodmoon expansion), nor even the infamous mudcrab vendor.

It's probably just as well; at this point there's nothing I need that I could buy with the money I'd get from selling all that stuff. Suffice to say, the end-game of Morrowind is... a tad unbalanced economically.

All of which I mention not to knock it, but to contrast it with the later Elder Scrolls games, and of course with whatever the heck the Limit Theory economy winds up looking like.
Yeah comparing a static "economy" to anything that attempts to replicate a real economy (such as comparing any Bethesda game against LT or EVE) will result in a bad look.

Morrowind wasn't really designed for the late-game, even skyrim falls flat for lategame.
Bethesda games are typically about the early to midgame, and their questlines and gameplay reflect that.

Once you have a full set of Chameleon 20% armor in Oblivion, or have found out how to fortify intelligence with potions in morrowind, or acquired -100% cost for Destruction spells in Skyrim, the game is done, you are a god.
Which is fun, but not where the games shine.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

I'm seven levels into Morrowind at this point. Looking good! I think my favorite adventure so far was killing everybody in the Balmora Council Club, and then sneaking back to the guy that gave me the mission so he could pardon me - without getting caught. :D Getting lost in Vivec was certainly not an adventure I enjoyed. Too big and confusing, and it feels... empty.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Lum wrote:In my longest play in Skyrim I wasn't near the midgame and I had already too much coin and stuff for my own good, so... :D It's clear to me that they didn't think about the economy part because they expect people to do the main quests and side quests as they come, instead of playing like we play.
I think more that they didnt expect us lunatics to take all the loot from all the draugr dungeons and sell it :lol:

(is there some mod that adds some "travelbag" or something? Like infinite carry capacity when the bag is active but limited to walking speed when over the carry limit)

You mean like the mechanic in Skyrim? We can search in the Nexus... it would be nice, though, because the not-moving-while-overencumbered was a bad surprise for me... :D

Edit: It seems there's no mod for that (only walking when overencumbered) for Morrowind. You can set the max off and therefore you'll never be overenc. or set them so high that you'll never have to think abour it anymore. But the variant like Skyrim or FO3, so it seems, doesn't exist. :problem:
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

In Skyrim it's possible to level up your Strength, which also bumps up your carrying capacity. Plus you can get another 100 units by choosing the Extra Pockets perk from the Pickpocket skill tree.

It's also possible to enchant numerous wearables to increase your carrying capacity. There are also some nice pre-enchanted items you can find that will help. And finally, for the true pack rats among us, it's also possible to have a follower who can carry stuff, and the Dragonborn DLC offers a limited but similar way to haul stuff.

I just checked: without mods, my character now has a naked carrying capacity of 880 units, and with gear (including three minor mods) I can bump that up to 1283 units. Which means I can pretty well clear out several dungeons without having to leave stuff behind for later loot visits. :)
Spoiler:      SHOW
For the painfully curious: the way I notch up my carrying capacity to 1283 units is by wearing the following gear:
  • Right hand ring (+37 units, not fully enchanted)
  • Left hand ring (mod) (+45 units)
  • Glass Boots of the Ox (+45 units) (from Fortify Carry Weight applied to any kind of boots)
  • Guild Master's Armor (+50 units) (or the Blackguard's Armor from the Dragonborn DLC)
  • Aetherial Crown from the Dawnguard DLC: install the Steed Stone as a second Standing Stone benefit (+100 units)
  • The Locket of St. Jiub from the Dawnguard DLC (+50 units)
  • Dragonscale thigh guard armor (mod) (+41 units)
  • Backpack (mod) (+35 units)
And for even more loot-hauling fun:
  • Take on a follower such as Sofia
  • Obtain the invokable Dremora Butler from the Dragonborn DLC
Did I forget any other good, non-bug-exploiting solutions?

Hmmmm Morrowind..... I absolutely loved it, one of the best games i ever played if not the best... I´m actually afraid to pick it back again because now i don´t have enough time to play as it deserves to be played.... that and there are some memories that shouldn´t be spoiled

Yes it does, just like a good port wine :) I´ve seen some of the great work modders have done in the past years. I might pick it up again one day but the wife won´t be happy about that :lol:
oh and i hope you´r enjoying your playthrough Tal

Silverware wrote:I might have to play Skyrim again now thanks to you Flatfingers...
Although first things first.
MadMax, ME2, ME3, then Skyrim!
Happy to be of service. :)

Me, I'm starting The Witcher 3 and hoping I can plow through it in time to be ready for... Fallout 4.

If I have time, I'll probably try a bit of Satellite Reign. But... Fallout 4.

Yeah. Clearing my calendar for that one.

And then maybe some more Skyrim. :)

(But first, I need to kill the scorpion I just saw climbing on my computer table next to my keyboard hand! Ack. Those &*(#s are NOT supposed to be able to get up here. Did he see me talking about Fallout 4 and come to the aid of his radscorpion descendants? Grrrrrrrrrr.)

I'm pleased to read of the excitement some members are getting from their time in Morrowind. It certainly sounds like one or two past sojourners in the lands of Vvardenfell will be returning to reacquaint themselves with the beauty and mystery to be found there. :D

I'm totally enthralled with modded Skyrim at the moment and I can't see the spell being broken anytime soon. I haven't been gripped like this by a game for a long time. It's true I enjoyed the vanilla game but this modded game lacks nothing for me. If I've had the wish then there is a mod that has been made to fulfil it. I don't think I could lay the game aside even if I wanted to. I suspect it will be a long time before I will be looking elsewhere for my open world game fix.

I do hope Bethesda have taken copious notes on the phenomena that is Elder Scrolls V for the next game in the series.

As some of you know I have no interest in Fallout 4.....except for how its mechanics may have or will have impinged on the development of Elder Scrolls VI. :angel:

Online Now