Return to “Suggestions”

AI Veterancy

It's pretty straightforward, the more an AI does stuff like kill other AI, mine things, explore, etc it gains a sort of invisible experience that improves the stats of the AI also known as veterancy. When an AI receives enough experience, its Veterancy level improves. Veterancy bestows permanent bonuses to the unit, improving its combat performance in one or more ways, mining speed or the amount of yield it receives from mining, speed of a ship, etc.

This'll add a more unique experience to the game since everyone is different and is either better or worse than others than the cost of their ship or the amount of firepower they have.

So heres an example, let's say.. our friendly AI bandit John has a new frigate, he decides to go out and kill some unsuspecting captains and steal their loot, for every kill he earns a small amount of experience is added to his dossier, once this experience reaches a certain level he earns a veterancy level which improves his stats like reaction speed, accuracy, dodging, etc.

So if John ended up killing dozens of enemies he'd be a very tough guy to defeat due to his experience in combat which may require either a bigger ship to take him down, a small group of friendly ships to go after him or just lot's of skill in dodging his more accurate attacks.

What do you think? :D
Re: AI Veterancy

How would this idea translate to the player? Does this system introduce a system which requires grinding to become good at a task? Does this system do away with AI/Player skill?

Example of skill: A player familiar with a particular class of ship because the player has played in the ship for 10+ hours.
Example of little skill: A player who just bought a battleship and is not accustomed to how slow it maneuvers and accelerates.

Flatfingers wrote:Are there retirement benefits?
If you make it to retirement, then not being dead is one of the big ones.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

BFett wrote:How would this idea translate to the player? Does this system introduce a system which requires grinding to become good at a task? Does this system do away with AI/Player skill?

Example of skill: A player familiar with a particular class of ship because the player has played in the ship for 10+ hours.
Example of little skill: A player who just bought a battleship and is not accustomed to how slow it maneuvers and accelerates.
It would more of be a separate system between AI and Players. I'm sure Josh already has something in mind for players but it'd be cool for a similar system to be applied to AI as well to make them more unique and to make every encounter something different. Like if you see an enemy frigate you'll automatically assume he'll probably be an easy kill.. but what if this AI has been alive for a long, long time and has seen his share of fighting which has made him into a more experienced fighter. It'd make players realize that not every AI is the same and that you should be more cautious.

If you are trying to simulate an AI getting more familiar with a particular ship's weapon systems or maneuverability, I would agree with you since the player does this as they get more familiar with the game. If however, you are trying to introduce a system that makes the AI better than the player by achieving maneuverability, and acceleration which are unobtainable to the player, then I'm opposed to the idea.

BFett wrote:If you are trying to simulate an AI getting more familiar with a particular ship's weapon systems or maneuverability, I would agree with you since the player does this as they get more familiar with the game. If however, you are trying to introduce a system that makes the AI better than the player by achieving maneuverability, and acceleration which are unobtainable to the player, then I'm opposed to the idea.
Kind of a mixture of both, the AI overall gets better at whatever it does over time by succeeding in whatever it's doing. If an AI devotes itself purely to say.. mining then it'll be able to mine faster, mine more yield and carry more than usual.

They wouldn't by default be better than the player, they would progress just like the player does.

BFett wrote:But the player can't carry more ore or mine faster just from mining for hours. These stats are improved by purchasing larger ships and better mining lasers.
True but maybe from more experience in mining you can get more rarer materials/minerals in asteroids you mine along with less waste from mining them.

Or your equipment doesn't wear out as fast, or faster energy distribution, or higher critical hit chances. The problem with changing stats like that is that, over time, these handicaps become unfair to the player. If the player can't increase his stats in the same way as an AI, soon the AI becomes unbeatable simply because it has a special growth curve.

This may be great in the short run, but what happens if the AI survives 100 hours of gameplay? 200? 1000? Eventually you get the God Mode AI. If Josh's Learning AI is anything like what Nintendo's Amibo system, I think we'll be fine.
We noticed that this thread got a little side-tracked into a conversation about eating spaghetti with a spoon. We do enjoy our fair share of italian food, but please remember to keep discussion on-topic when posting on the forums.

Jazehiah wrote:Or your equipment doesn't wear out as fast, or faster energy distribution, or higher critical hit chances. The problem with changing stats like that is that, over time, these handicaps become unfair to the player. If the player can't increase his stats in the same way as an AI, soon the AI becomes unbeatable simply because it has a special growth curve.

This may be great in the short run, but what happens if the AI survives 100 hours of gameplay? 200? 1000? Eventually you get the God Mode AI. If Josh's Learning AI is anything like what Nintendo's Amibo system, I think we'll be fine.
Oh hey! :ghost:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Online Now