Return to “Announcements”

Re: The End of the Dark Days.

Slymodi wrote:
Idunno wrote:Hey look everybody! A pretty distraction! :ghost: :shifty: Image
damnit now I want to replicate it :x

~Sly
DOOOOO EEEEEETTTT!!! :ghost:

Here's some more inspiration: Image
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Idunno wrote:
Slymodi wrote:
Idunno wrote:Hey look everybody! A pretty distraction! :ghost: :shifty: Image
damnit now I want to replicate it :x

~Sly
DOOOOO EEEEEETTTT!!! :ghost:

Here's some more inspiration: Image
*faints*
god damn I love nodes, my work is literally making an application that is basically nodes with a couple other things
~Sly
IVE BEEN OUT OF MY MIND A LONG TIME

I remember making a similar one based on Facebook posts. I'll post it if I manage to dig it up.
We noticed that this thread got a little side-tracked into a conversation about eating spaghetti with a spoon. We do enjoy our fair share of italian food, but please remember to keep discussion on-topic when posting on the forums.

Josh,

You are doing what it normally takes a whole company to do, most of us are in awe.

Please take it easy and release "when its done" and dont push yourself for any deadlines.
As a backer I will be happy if it comes out 3 years from now so please take care of yourself, take as much time as you need.

I don't see why people would be concerned by no communications, Josh seems like a reasonable guy and if he intended to stop work on LT I have no doubt he'd make an announcement saying that was going to happen, though I suspect he'd also either release what he's got so far or line up someone to continue the development in his stead, at any rate that means that no news is good news and we should all just be patient and wait for the next update whether it be tomorrow or in 6 months.

@AusSkiller
"...if he intended to stop work on LT I have no doubt he'd make an announcement saying that was going to happen, though I suspect he'd also either release what he's got so far or line up someone to continue the development in his stead ..."

Considering the possible legal repercussions from Kickstarter that wouldnt be a good Idea.
Furthermore Josh Parnell is at the beginning of his job-career and had paused his University education for his LT-Project.With the Kickstarterforum and his own LT Forum this happens in public. Easy to find for every potential future employer or business partner.
Maybe you still go to school, so you will find it hard to understand or highly unfair, but there is no acknowledgement for "trying hard" and there is no understanding for "its not my fault" (even worse if it is about mental issues).
If he just walks away from this Project to Continue his University education -> for what? He can only stay and try to complete his work by himself.

notami wrote:Considering the possible legal repercussions from Kickstarter that wouldnt be a good Idea.
Furthermore Josh Parnell is at the beginning of his job-career and had paused his University education for his LT-Project.With the Kickstarterforum and his own LT Forum this happens in public. Easy to find for every potential future employer or business partner.
Maybe you still go to school, so you will find it hard to understand or highly unfair, but there is no acknowledgement for "trying hard" and there is no understanding for "its not my fault" (even worse if it is about mental issues).
If he just walks away from this Project to Continue his University education -> for what? He can only stay and try to complete his work by himself.
I absolutely disagree.

With regards to kickstarter, he did much more than could be expected, for much longer; if need be he can deliver an improved prototype or the current built and be absolutely clean on this side - who could begrudge >2 years full time for a s low as 170k$?

With regards to his future, and as a professional hiring engineers (not in IT) regularly: the LT story proves that he has vision, entrepreneurship, and talent. And this so young that he did not even have his formal eduction: so no surprise he was inexperimented in project management. Even PhDs usually need to learn those skills in the first years on the job. The only thing which may need explanation is the psychological problems. Having sought help is a major plus because it also mean recognizing in the future if the danger loom again; being candid about it in an interview, stating possibly what your limits are, is probably the best stragtegy. Time will also help - for instance finishing the studies with the pressure of the exams will show it was but an episode in his development.
All-in-all, absolutely no need to finish a perfect product for using the project as a major asset when searching a job.
What I would make sure, though, is to complete the university degree!

Hi Josh ...

Just ignore all haters and negative comments. It is usually from people who have issues with themselves.
It seems to be so much easier for a lot of people to be negative than to be positive, but I learned to ignore them.
Unfortunately a large portion of the online community seems to be like that.

I - as many others - loved what you were working on and always looked forward to your next video detailing what you had done.

Of course I'd love to explore the LT galaxy at some point, but I can wait until it is really at the quality you had envisioned from the start.

But ... Your health is most important, so take your time!

Cheers, Anne

CSE wrote:
notami wrote:Considering the possible legal repercussions from Kickstarter that wouldnt be a good Idea.
I absolutely disagree.

With regards to kickstarter, he did much more than could be expected, for much longer; if need be he can deliver an improved prototype or the current built and be absolutely clean on this side - who could begrudge >2 years full time for a s low as 170k$?
Well, no.
1. He promised more than could be expected, and his backers, rightly, believed him.
2. He showed that he could do, at least in principle what he promised, and so logically he showed that he could do much more than could be expected from an indie developer.
3. So, logically, we expect him to finish, because he's shown he can do it.
4. If he doesn't do it, then notami's point holds: he was in a position to accomplish something amazing, but he wasn't able to hold his promise. The reason may be totally justifiable, but unfortunately very often outcomes are binary: (i) you produce the promised result, and (ii) anything else is just an excuse.
Of course it's unfair, but very often that's just the way it is.

The distinction between the expectation in points 1-2 and point 3 is the difference between
(a) what we might usually expect from an indie developer, and
(b) what we specifically expect from Josh.
(a) and (b) are clearly distinct, or else we wouldn't still be here supporting Josh.

With regards to the kickstarter legal comments, good luck, you won't get any assistance from kickstarter in trying to take it to the courts, you would have to do that yourself.

You should also re-read the agreement you accepted by backing the project, it's pretty loose and Josh has definitely provided good faith results over the last 2 years.

All this is null and void since the project isn't finished and Josh has stated he is still working on it.
This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine.

novarest wrote:Guys, this is not how any of this works.

They joy of development is gone. The gravity has shifted, the resting point is no longer in the game. There is no resting point anymore, just repulsive forces away from here. Maybe someday a new resting/gravity point will form somewhere else for him (job/wife/kids). Or magically it will be this game again, though this can take years or may never happen.

I think the best thing we can to is lay the game to rest. Disarm it. Abandon all expectations. Find peace. This was all out of the control of anyone. In a way inevitable.
Sadly, I fear you are right. I am surprised this view is not discussed more.

My guess is that Josh will soon return to school to complete his degree. That move would firmly place LT on a back burner though, in effect, LT is already on a back burner.

A return to school would help Josh restore balance and direction to his life. I think school's the right move for Josh and I think that's what he'll do. LT can wait.

gruntilda651 wrote:My guess is that Josh will soon return to school to complete his degree.
Yeah, that is probably a good idea. I assume the school will have regular lectures and assignements, and this will make work-life-sleep balanced.

It will also provide a needed and achievable goal that can't be delayed (exams)

Online Now