Return to “Scripting & Modding”

Question about exposed hooks

Hello everyone!

Been a lurker on the forums for quite a while now, but I thought this might be an auspicious time to post this considering Josh's recent return and the potential return to discussion about scripts/mods (it has been awfully quiet in this subforum for a while)

As such I have three questions on the topic of hooks.

Given that the game is written in LTSL, I am very optimistic about the answers to these questions, but I was wondering...

1- how much of the game's core features will have exposed hooks for modders to utilize?

2- will we be given any kind of documentation about the said hooks and other built-in functions that are available?

3- What's the plan for disabling/modifying existing gameplay elements? Will it be that identically named scripts are able to override existing functionality? or some other more convoluted/obscure way?

As someone who's extremely interested in this game and happens to be finishing his Bachelors in Computer Science very very soon, I am extremely interested in making a few mods of my own... which I'll probably discuss with interested parties in another thread at another time.
Re: Question about exposed hooks

I recall him telling us that the majority of the game will be LTSL
The engine functions should all have hooks to LTSL.

So it should be more than enough to remake any game in LTSL :V
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

I've never been impressed with supposedly auto-documenting software.

Things like Javadoc live at a relatively low level: parameters passed, usually. That's OK, but what I really need is to know what things mean. Self-documenting systems usually don't get into the head of a systems designer at that level.

It would be better than nothing, but not the kind of Concept of Operations and language reference docs I'm hoping can be created by someone.

1. Probably more of it that you ever wanted to be exposed :P Generally you shouldn't have to worry about something not being doable unless it's hugely technical

2. Yes, exposed functions have automatic documentation that's written by me as I expose them. At some point, possibly slightly after release, I will also have some tutorials so people can get a better feel for how to actually use them.

3. Exactly, to override functionality you provide a script of the same name and the engine will load it instead of the original one.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

BFett wrote:N-Joy, there is already a Limit Theory wiki that is being worked on. Please see the link in my signature.
i do know that, there even has been a wiki before that, which i helped to fill.
http://lt.laerad.net/index.php/Main_Page
(Some of the pages i created there were copied too, e.g. development overview ;) )

And i guess in future there will be many other wikis 'cause no one of them will be an official one. Thats what i don't like.
:D

N-Joy wrote: i do know that, there even has been a wiki before that, which i helped to fill.
http://lt.laerad.net/index.php/Main_Page
(Some of the pages i created there were copied too, e.g. development overview ;) )

And i guess in future there will be many other wikis 'cause no one of them will be an official one. Thats what i don't like.
I am only aware of 2 other wikis other than my own, one of them has old information and is not being maintained, the second is the one you linked, which currently doesn't have an administrator and is being spam botted to death.

Mine on the other hand was made by myself and other community members. (Yes I took a page from laerad.net that was intact) Unless you are maintaining another wiki I suggest that you support mine. Dinosawer and I are currently the only admins of the site but other people are free to edit it. If it does start getting spammed I'll lock it down and I'll hand pick who can and can't edit the page.

Online Now