Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Books!

Scytale wrote:
HowSerendipitous wrote:After rereading the Battletech Blood of Kerensky trilogy, I've now moved onto Wool by Hugh Howey.

Seems pretty good..... :twisted:
I enjoyed Wool - curious to see what you think
I'm 130 ish pages in and enjoying it so far! I even cracked and bought the next two books. :squirrel:

Rather polish books. For example "Zrób sobie raj" of Mariusz Szczygieł. this is about Czech Republic. Or "Bezpowrotnie utracona leworęczność" of Jerzy Pilch. Maybe you know something about of them? And another: "Mrs Bovary" of Flaubert, "Father Goriot" of Balzac. And Russian literature is amazing.

87charlie wrote:Rather polish books. For example "Zrób sobie raj" of Mariusz Szczygieł. this is about Czech Republic. Or "Bezpowrotnie utracona leworęczność" of Jerzy Pilch. Maybe you know something about of them? And another: "Mrs Bovary" of Flaubert, "Father Goriot" of Balzac. And Russian literature is amazing.
Have you read The Witcher series? They're Polish if memory serves. Wonder what the English translations are like...... :think:

I really want to read Seveneves; right now it's a little too expensive on Kindle. I fell asleep last night reading the free sample, and the premise of the novel kept running through my head this morning. I think I'll have to wait until it comes down in price, a little.
"To be what you are not, experience what you are not." -Saint John of the Cross
Authored 131 missions in Vendetta Online
Check it out on Steam

I'm done with The First Law trilogy. What a ride, my friends! Immediately purchased the standalones (Best Served Cold, The Heroes, Red Country) to keep me on the loop :ghost:

For the time being I'm stucked with some Forgotten Realms books (The Cleric Quintet) in Spanish. Thirty pages into the first one I was already lamenting it and remembered why I started reading books in original English... What a shitty translation... :evil:
Last edited by Lum on Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Just_Ice_au wrote:Just read the RCN series by David Drake, I thought they were pretty good.

Not, you know, fantastic, but pretty good.
It can be a bit dull. His characters are the cardboard punch-out type.
The only one I found to have something of a personality is Tovera... even if... well...

Not bad enough to not take a look but no must-have. =)

His General series is a lot better.
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

I liked his Hammers Slammers series.
Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I have seen, it seem to me most strange, that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come.

Gazz wrote:
Just_Ice_au wrote:Just read the RCN series by David Drake, I thought they were pretty good.

Not, you know, fantastic, but pretty good.
It can be a bit dull. His characters are the cardboard punch-out type.
The only one I found to have something of a personality is Tovera... even if... well...

Not bad enough to not take a look but no must-have. =)

His General series is a lot better.
So I wanted to know more about this autor and wikied him. According to this, Drake was only a contributor for the General series and appears als co-author imposed by the publisher. The real author is S. M. Stirling. Just saying... :D

Man, this guy has written so many books.... :shock:
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Online Now