Return to “Kickstarter Campaign”

Re: Steam?

Flendon wrote:
Evil Tactician wrote: To be honest, I wouldn't worry overly much. No company is ever going to get away with leaving players completely unable to play their game from a legal point of view.
I hate to break it to you, but:
http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates
http://boingboing.net/2008/09/26/walmar ... g-dow.html
http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... -drm-keys/
http://arstechnica.com/uncategorized/20 ... with-fans/
http://exclaim.ca/News/yahoo_shuts_down ... reimburses
Oh, snap...

I'm not fussed whether the game is shipped on Steam or GOG. I just want to contribute to the project and secure a copy of the finished product.

With the KickStarter closed now there is no way to back the project. And LT deserves funding and exposure.
There are lots of us out there that want to contribute to the project, but without a PayPal option we're just waiting for the official release.

I'd love this to be cleared for Steam Green Light and offered as an Early Access product. You're already allowing people to consume the Alpha from your downloads page so it can only be a good thing

Super Necro, Away!

anyway, Yes I would vote and favorite this in an instant if it got on greenlight, and I think you could even offer this on early access if you wanted to. You have a promising game and good communication with the customers. Most Early Access fail in the communication department, but Josh posts Videos monthly and even does a weekly/daily entry on what he has been working on here on the forums. If that could get copy/pasted on to steam forums then you would make a lot of prospective buyers happy, we would eventually get something to play with, and you would get more funding.

SureSight wrote: I'd love this to be cleared for Steam Green Light and offered as an Early Access product. You're already allowing people to consume the Alpha from your downloads page so it can only be a good thing
No, and wrong.

LT won't be released early access because the closed beta is exclusive, to prevent the "but we got here first" mentality that comes with making things available to everyone when it was previously exclusive, (lolstarcitizen), and also to minimize the amount of bad press that Limit Theory could get from people that don't understand what a beta dev phase is actually for, and the download page only has a patch for the prototype, which was neither an alpha nor beta, but rather a proof of concept for space combat. And you can't use the patch without a base prototype.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

I feel like used now i know that about steam, i have 138 titles on my account and i don't own one of them!

But on better news i would still risk it all to play what looks like great game, just watched all the dev blogs and i am so impressed! I wish i have some constructive stuff to say but most people have covered everything important to me in a space sim.

Thanks Josh for giving people what they want (especially after the train wreck of X rebirth)

simonmoore1986 wrote:I feel like used now i know that about steam, i have 138 titles on my account and i don't own one of them!
You never read the user agreement? :)
It's not something new... ;-)
simonmoore1986 wrote: But on better news i would still risk it all to play what looks like great game, just watched all the dev blogs and i am so impressed! I wish i have some constructive stuff to say but most people have covered everything important to me in a space sim.

Thanks Josh for giving people what they want (especially after the train wreck of X rebirth)
I agree with this! I'm more eager for LT than any other game on the horizon.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Ringo wrote:Steam is not a totally DRM free option.
Egosoft (the makers of the X series) usually release a "NoSteam.exe" after a year or so, which you can copy into your game directory and effectively remove the DRM. So there is some precedent for Steam games that become DRM-free after a while.

Now Valve does not discuss their terms and conditions publicly, so it would be up to Josh to ask them if they are willing to distribute LT without DRM.

For the next two years I'm certain Egosoft will fix bugs as there are many, before any NoSteam.exe will be released.

However, if it would be up to me, I could live very well with the boundaries of Steam. This may also opens the way for later features, such as Co-op gameplay (No Multiplayer, PLEASE!!!), so you can explore with friends in small groups.

What I couldn't support is some shittyness such as the UbiSoft Onlineactivation, that forced you to be online when launching a singleplayer game.

But on regards to the early access options of Steam, I see it the way Grumblesaur expressed it already. Many people just don't understand that early access means alpha or beta phase of games with bugs, abusable exploits and other missbehavings of the game that aren't the dev's intentions for a game. People then get either angry at the "crap" that was released or start abusing the early access by ignoring the hail for bugreports. Imho, early access features are all just contraproductive and sometimes even lead to abusive developer behaviour. I don't know which game it was, but one developer honestly took over 90$ for an early access game. And there really were people that paid that. That's the other side of a system whose use is a matter of doubt.

Online Now