Return to “Kickstarter Campaign”

Re: Rewards - Suggestions

Matthew Cason wrote:I dislike pay-to-win situations as much as anyone else, but the whole point of pledge tiers is to give more back to those who give more to the project. It isn't elitism. It's capitalism. Which is what makes Kickstarter work. For -every- pledge, there needs to be a reward. Add-ons and additional rewards only sweeten the pot and encourage backers to up the ante. Give us additional ships and content, and I for one will shell out even more. To each their own, and I can only speak for my own wallet, but it has nowhere near finished doing its whole duty to Limit Theory if additional rewards and add-ons are offered.
For every pledge, there needs to be a reward, I agree.
But I don't think there needs to be exclusive content completely locked out for other bakcers, or even for non-backers.

Free-to-play is a good metaphor. The best free-to-play schemes out there are those where paid stuff is merely aesthetic or can be obtained in-game but through much investment in time. Those that lock out content or award paying players with "I win" buttons in the shape of overpowered items... I never play those games and I would never give $1 to fund such a game.

matthewfarmery wrote:
Matthew Cason wrote:If this were a multiplayer game, I'd agree with you, but it isn't. I don't see any reason giving Kickstarter backers some kind of exclusive, advantageous reward when what they do in their universe will have no bearing upon what someone else does in theirs.
fully agreed
It is multiplayer, as in, play with a few friends and mess around, multiplayer, meaning that there are going to be few to no places where backers get a big advantage.

ACH0225 wrote: It is multiplayer, as in, play with a few friends and mess around, multiplayer, meaning that there are going to be few to no places where backers get a big advantage.
As far as I'm aware, it's only multiplayer in the sense that other players can zoom around in your galaxy if you give the seed number out? It's not an MMO, and it's not a multiplayer-focused game so I don't really see any harm in rewards or add-ons. Don't give your seed number out and who cares what you're doing in your own little pocket galaxy?

Matthew Cason wrote:If this were a multiplayer game, I'd agree with you, but it isn't. I don't see any reason giving Kickstarter backers some kind of exclusive, advantageous reward when what they do in their universe will have no bearing upon what someone else does in theirs.
How are you disagreeing with here?
Not me, for sure, since all I've been saying is that I think there is no need to give Kickstarter backers exclusive in-game content, no matter their pledge level. :roll:

ACH0225 wrote: It is multiplayer, as in, play with a few friends and mess around, multiplayer, meaning that there are going to be few to no places where backers get a big advantage.
It's not multiplayer at all. You cannot play LT with your friends. What are you talking about?

Atarun wrote:
It's not multiplayer at all. You cannot play LT with your friends. What are you talking about?

I guess you are right... I thought I saw something on kickstarter about multiplayer...

ACH0225 wrote:I guess you are right... I thought I saw something on kickstarter about multiplayer...
Many people have been demanding it (there are also people like me who would rather get a single-player experience, but we're either not as many or not as vocal, possibly both) and, if memory serves, Josh said it's interesting but too much work even for a stretch goal. I think he said he might consider it for LT2. Can't find the quote again, though, sorry.

Pulled from the kickstarter FAQ

Will There be Multiplayer?

Not likely. If we exceed our goal by a significant amount, it's possible that I will announce multiplayer support as a far-off stretch goal, but I don't anticipate reaching it. I need to make sure that I can complete LT in a reasonable amount of time...and, realistically, adding multiplayer would increase the development time by a significant amount!
FAQ | Kickstarter | IRC | Common Suggestions

Josh, if you could estimate when you would be likely to have a pre-alpha/alpha version for mac/linux (after we get to the $100k goal?), having an alternate $75 pledge equivalent to the Black Friday Beta pledge (with just the game, beta, soundtrack, and mac/linux alpha) would be great for those of us using those platforms. I would definitely increase my pledge :)
I Pledged: $45 - BLACK FRIDAY BETA
Linux user. Crafter/Trader.

I know this is extremity early to ask this but since its been mentioned. in regards to LT2 or similar expansion will the people who support the creation of a LT1 be entitled to a perk when acquiring said LT2?
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

Chameleon wrote:Josh, if you could estimate when you would be likely to have a pre-alpha/alpha version for mac/linux (after we get to the $100k goal?), having an alternate $75 pledge equivalent to the Black Friday Beta pledge (with just the game, beta, soundtrack, and mac/linux alpha) would be great for those of us using those platforms. I would definitely increase my pledge :)
Josh has already practically ruled out multi-platform for the pre-alpha and alpha state, while at the same time giving us hope for the beta version being for Mac/Linux as well.

Online Now