Return to “Kickstarter Campaign”

Re: Rewards - Suggestions

Da-1 wrote:Hi JoshParnell

May I ask why don`t you allow the EARLY-BIRD SPECIAL at-lest beta and higher contributers alpha ? just a question and did not know where to post sorry and thanks for your time.

Regards, Da-1
Hi Da-1, that's a great idea, I will take it under advisement and you should look for something like that in the near future!
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

My suggestion is keep the updates to the kick starter regular, not all at once, but say every couple of days put something new up.

People cannot get enough game play footage and that is what made Star Citizen successful.

As a developer I find the procedural generation of environments and other game play mechanics really something I should be looking into. It's just something I started thinking about after seeing the elite kick starter and now your game.

Good luck !

JoshParnell wrote: Hi Da-1, that's a great idea, I will take it under advisement and you should look for something like that in the near future!
Hi JoshParnell thanks I appreciate it and will keep checking back I am already a follower of your work and will be looking for vid`s of your work I will also spread the word as much as I can about LT and hope to support you soon ;) , thanks for your time.

Regards, Da-1

One thing I noticed from the Star Citizen Kickstarter was the power of rewards whose effects (without unduly unbalancing gameplay) persist during gameplay. The example that best illustrates the genius of the SC campaign, to me, is the fact that the pledge ships came with *free lifetime insurance* that would otherwise have to be paid for in-game. This was, going by forum postings, at least as compelling as the fact that the pledge ships were cool in themselves. You could always wait and earn a ship in-game, but the only way to get the free insurance was to pledge for a ship during the KS.

Now, I doubt that the in-game insurance will be that costly, but still I got the impression that people valued it. And the fact that it was such a time-limited opportunity probably made it all the more enticing!

Another example of this was their "Repair Droid" stretch goal, whereby every backer got a repair droid once the goal had been reached. Again, this might well have minimal in-game impact (otherwise it would unbalance the game) but still, it gave people a feeling they would receive something unique and tangible as part of their game experience, that would not be duplicated in any other way.

Of course, I'm not proposing that Limit Theory specifically needs ship insurance or repair droids, but I do think that SC put their finger on some acqusitive, opportunity-seeking aspect of human nature, in coming up with such schemes.

I agree wholeheartedly. The best rewards are the ones that really incentivize the backers, unlike stretch goals which incentivize the entire game. Exclusives that will be 'backer only' and thereby give backers a greater sense of personal investment in the project will in turn drive up their financial investments/pledges as well. Even Star Citizen had stalled before they introduced this through add-ons and backer-exclusive bonuses.

I hear you guys, but I am unsure of how you provide such an incentive in an SP game. I mean, of course, it seems immensely appealing that SC backers will get ship insurance for life...that's awesome, and a significant financial advantage over latecomers. But who would care if you had ship insurance in an SP game, where it pretty much means nothing? You could just reload the game...

Can you think of a way to make people care about something like that in a single player game?

JoshParnell wrote:I hear you guys, but I am unsure of how you provide such an incentive in an SP game. I mean, of course, it seems immensely appealing that SC backers will get ship insurance for life...that's awesome, and a significant financial advantage over latecomers. But who would care if you had ship insurance in an SP game, where it pretty much means nothing? You could just reload the game...

Can you think of a way to make people care about something like that in a single player game?
Simply introduce a single-player 'hardcore' mode, like Diablo III and the new X-com.
Basically the save game functionality is turned off. So if you want to give yourself a little bit of a buffer as to what might happen, then insurance becomes a very attractive option.
Personally, I've thought such game modes were pure madness, but they appear to be quite popular.

In a regular game, insurance could mean that you simply don't need to reload a previous save game. Insurance simply means you automatically get back what you had when you 'lost' it.

haha, I just had a funny idea. Maybe having insurance is merely the trigger to allow the player to access the load game screen. No insurance, no access to the load-game screen. (Save as much as you want though). Hmm, that could be viewed as a little bit evil though. Of course make it cheap enough (tune the cost) for a single access. A lifetime insurance is lifetime access to the load-game screen. :lol:

JoshParnell wrote:I hear you guys, but I am unsure of how you provide such an incentive in an SP game. I mean, of course, it seems immensely appealing that SC backers will get ship insurance for life...that's awesome, and a significant financial advantage over latecomers. But who would care if you had ship insurance in an SP game, where it pretty much means nothing? You could just reload the game...

Yep. I do have an idea:
It's a single-player game, so there isn't really a problem of balance and fairness. Who cares if some player has an easier time of it than another? With all the randomness around, it's pretty much a given anyway.
So, what you could do, is give backers (or maybe backers above a certain level) a "repair droid" (yes, the inspiration for that comes directly from SC ;)). What that would mean in gameplay-terms is that the hull itself would slowly regenerate. It wouldn't be a god mode, of course, you could still be destroyed way faster than your poor droid can repair (or maybe the droid cannot work in dangerous conditions so the regeneration is only triggered outside of combat)... But while non-backers would have to go to a station or planet to get their ship repaired, you could just wait until your hull is back at full 100%. Maybe you won't even have to wait, if there are no other enemies in your vicinity, you might just get back on track immediately.

Just a thought of course. I don't know enough about the gameplay in LT yet to know if it would really make any sense. ;)

Hmmm OK, so you think people would be interested in gaining some sort of advantage even in an SP game? It interests me because to me it doesn't seem like something worth paying for (i.e., basically paying for a lesser form of a cheat).

But I don't claim to be an expert in knowing what people want..so...

JoshParnell wrote:Hmmm OK, so you think people would be interested in gaining some sort of advantage even in an SP game? It interests me because to me it doesn't seem like something worth paying for (i.e., basically paying for a lesser form of a cheat).

But I don't claim to be an expert in knowing what people want..so...
Well, three things:
1) It's not a cheat if it's officially implemented.
2) We're not paying for that, we're paying for LT to exist someday. It'd be an added incentive, but it sure will not be the main reason behind any pledge.
3) I personally love regeneration in all shapes and forms, so I'd definitely appreciate the gift. I pledged without it, though, so I'm not the best example of a potential backer that could be swayed with that kind of incentive. ;)

Atarun wrote:Well, three things:
1) It's not a cheat if it's officially implemented.
2) We're not paying for that, we're paying for LT to exist someday. It'd be an added incentive, but it sure will not be the main reason behind any pledge.
3) I personally love regeneration in all shapes and forms, so I'd definitely appreciate the gift. I pledged without it, though, so I'm not the best example of a potential backer that could be swayed with that kind of incentive. ;)
Fair enough, fair enough...I'll let these things swim around in my head a bit :)

... Basically everything Atarun said. :P . Anything to encourage backers to up their pledges, whether by a little or a lot, will make the difference here. Why not, for instance, create a special seed just for backers with some extra goodies in it? Also, add-ons of a more tangible nature always help, too. T-shirts and posters and soundtracks and such. Give us something to tack on a few extra dollars for and we will keep throwing money at you, Josh! :mrgreen:

Online Now