Return to “Kickstarter Campaign”

Wikipedia - Any editors out there?

Hello everybody! I was just checking out the wikipedia page for "procedural generation" and I noticed that not only is limit theory not linked from that page, but that no one has made a limit theory page. I am super busy grading Finals, but if somebody wants to hop over there and get the Wiki started, I'm sure we can all chip in info along the way!
Re: Wikipedia - Any editors out there?

technoutopian wrote:Oh man! I saw that another unfinished game was on there, Infinity?, and thought we could get Limit Theory on there. Just had a minute to drop by here on my way out. Thanks for the update.
You can give it a try if you want. But to elaborate on what Grumblesaur wrote: there had been a Wikipedia page created, and it was speedily deleted because of lack of notability. Depending on how many external sources are referenced on it, I assume it would be rather easy to have the Infinity page deleted as well.

Thread here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=193. The first post (which advertised the creation of a Limit Theory-page on Wikipedia) was edited when the page was deleted after less than a day.

PS: Before creating a thread for throwing out an idea, you should probably check whether another thread about that same idea already exists. It doesn't take very long to enter the word "wikipedia" in the small search box on top of the window and hit "Search". If everybody would hold themselves to this small amount of discipline, the forum would become a lot tidier. No offense meant, I'm just saying.

If you take a look at the history on the procedural generation page, Limit Theory was added, but had no referential citations (such as a link to the LT website) so it was removed for being an unsubstantiated addition. Thus, if you add LT anywhere on Wikipedia, be sure that the material is supported by clear citations.
I am 42.

I am sorry for my inauspicious start here on the forums. I finally had a free minute and updated the procedural generation page with a link to limit theory and a citation to the VG247 article on LT by Dave Cook. I know my post was addressed in a different forum post now (sorry I don't usually use forums but this game seems awesome so I thought I would try), but I made the changes to the procedural generation wikipedia entry and I will try to make sure it sticks around! Here's the updated procedural generation page with a link to this site and the article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procedural ... _universes

technoutopian wrote:I am sorry for my inauspicious start here on the forums. I finally had a free minute and updated the procedural generation page with a link to limit theory and a citation to the VG247 article on LT by Dave Cook. I know my post was addressed in a different forum post now (sorry I don't usually use forums but this game seems awesome so I thought I would try), but I made the changes to the procedural generation wikipedia entry and I will try to make sure it sticks around! Here's the updated procedural generation page with a link to this site and the article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procedural ... _universes
Awesome, thanks! Let's hope it sticks :) Someday I would like to do an overhaul of that PG page on wikipedia, because right now it's pretty awful :o
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

It would be awesome for the page to be up-to-date, since a lot of young programmers learn about programming techniques through wikipedia before they actually code anything. I know that's how I started to learn about AI before the first Google AI challenge. But, then I wanted to try something cool like collaborative diffusion (I ended up figuring it out for the Ants competition) and there isn't a wikipedia article to start from. So, it took a little more effort on my part. But, for someone with a passing interest, that little extra effort might stop them from learning about it at all (which would be terrible).

Online Now