Return to “Kickstarter Campaign”

What stretch goal would you most like to see?

You may select 1 option

Re: Stretch Goals Poll

So Ability to Own / Manage Planets is ahead. People love power :) , well hell why not :twisted:

"Come on you slave planet, build those damn ships and make it snappy or say hello to my moon ships ultra snazzy death ray."

"Wooohaha."

"What you are going on strike? !!!"

"Where is that button..."

Scared officer: "Er captain there is a foreign droid messing with the ultra snazzy death ray computer system."

"What !!!"

Jason Schupfer wrote:So Ability to Own / Manage Planets is ahead. People love power :) , well hell why not :twisted:

"Come on you slave planet, build those damn ships and make it snappy or say hello to my moon ships ultra snazzy death ray."

"Wooohaha."

"What you are going on strike? !!!"

"Where is that button..."

Scared officer: "Er captain there is a foreign droid messing with the ultra snazzy death ray computer system."

"What !!!"
I get the idea that you will have no problem coming up with your own narrative, Jason. The idea of a droid patching into secure control systems and finding it surprisingly easy to take control of them seems a touch derivative however. ;)
I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.

Jason Schupfer wrote:Hey Tom i am no writer, just giving a little humour that was intended to be derivative as much humour is. Certainly not meant as a serious piece of writing.
Hey, I liked it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAUVUUhf7U0

Besides anyone who pokes a bit of fun at some of the more... ahem, unbelievable plot devices in Star Wars (well at least the movies that aren't so rubbish as to be beyond parody) gets instant credit with me.

Oh boy, someone should start a new thread about Star Wars debates ;) Personally, I love the prequels.

And hey, you guys have Episode 3 to thank for Limit Theory. It was what originally inspired me so deeply to become a graphics programmer. Without Ep 3, I probably would have gone a different route in CS. But when I saw the movie, I told myself that I wanted so, so badly to live in a beautiful world like that. And that, if no one could make a game to simulate it, then I would just have to learn how to do it and take it on myself so that I could live the movie. So here we are, LT is the first step towards living Ep 3 for me :)

Now for an on-topic comment, I am very surprised to see how well cross-platform porting is performing! And a little relieved too, since I think it should take less time than the other goals... :D
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:Oh boy, someone should start a new thread about Star Wars debates ;) Personally, I love the prequels.

And hey, you guys have Episode 3 to thank for Limit Theory. It was what originally inspired me so deeply to become a graphics programmer. Without Ep 3, I probably would have gone a different route in CS. But when I saw the movie, I told myself that I wanted so, so badly to live in a beautiful world like that. And that, if no one could make a game to simulate it, then I would just have to learn how to do it and take it on myself so that I could live the movie. So here we are, LT is the first step towards living Ep 3 for me :)

Now for an on-topic comment, I am very surprised to see how well cross-platform porting is performing! And a little relieved too, since I think it should take less time than the other goals... :D
I do recall episodes 4-6 with fondness, likely because they were, for the time, technically groundbreaking and the series was well-crafted mythopoeia - even if the trilogy notably declined in Return of the Jedi with the maudlin ending and the heroes surrounded by plushies. Alas episodes 1-3, while still technically brilliant, were simplistic, lacked engaging and compelling plot development, and were generally so poorly scripted and acted that in a way they were self-parodies. At any rate, I am glad that at least some good came of Revenge of the Sith in that it inspired you to make Limit Theory. 8-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sKRRY5tQz8

While I did not vote for it, I do support the idea of cross-platform porting. While it is true that it caters to a minority of potential players, it illustrates your willingness to be inclusive and also creates positive buzz among a vocal segment of Kickstarter gaming backers.

dcasteel wrote:
JoshParnell wrote:Hmmm...yeah...I think you guys are right about that. So what do you want to do, make faction creation the first goal, and then planetary ownership another goal beyond that? Or should I try to package them up as one (and turn most of my hair gray before hitting the age of 23)?
I would think you would want to own/control a planet before creating a faction.

1.) Build a space station for trade and to process the resources you develop on the planet
2.) Once you reach a set level of commerce claim the planet in cooperation with other miners using the same planet
3.) At much higher level of commerce organize a faction with other planets

Obviously there are many other scenarios that would work, but this is what came to mind off the top of my head

This to me seems backwards. Maybe it has to do with the definition of a 'faction', since to me, a 'faction' is a group of like minded NPCs typically smaller than a planetary government (or several). Something like a trade guild or a corporation or a club are 'factions'. To me it would make sense to enable running and owning a faction (which to me is your character plus N number of NPCs, where N is >=1, but likely <<1 millon before it would make sense to enable owning and running a planet (where N is likely >> 1 million).

I get the megalomania that planet ownership entails, but I think the priority should be 1. Faction ownership/management 2. Planet ownership/management, in that order.

Other than a difference in definition regarding what a 'faction' is, is there someone else who has an arguement for why owning a world should take precedence over owning a faction?

When I think of planet ownership/management, I don't think of it in terms of owning the actual, entire planet but just the ability to own a shop or outpost on the planet. Maybe there is an outpost with say.. 5 different shops and services at that place (shipyard, market, bar, factory, guildhall etc). I see planet management as a way to buy into one of these businesses or build one outright (further along in the game when access to more resources and funds).. maybe you will build harvesting and manufacturing factories on a planet and so on. To me, it's not about actually owning the planet but being able to do things on the planet or at least from orbit around the planet (orbital mining station for example). In many of the Elite-like games I've played, the greatest thing I've enjoyed is moving from lowly miner or similar, to trader, to privateer and then as you go, you start to actually own hangars and factories and other things that start to create revenue of their own.. and you just need to manage them.. maybe start hauling resources from other areas back to the factories to make even more profit and so on.

light487 wrote:When I think of planet ownership/management, I don't think of it in terms of owning the actual, entire planet but just the ability to own a shop or outpost on the planet. Maybe there is an outpost with say.. 5 different shops and services at that place (shipyard, market, bar, factory, guildhall etc). I see planet management as a way to buy into one of these businesses or build one outright (further along in the game when access to more resources and funds).. maybe you will build harvesting and manufacturing factories on a planet and so on. To me, it's not about actually owning the planet but being able to do things on the planet or at least from orbit around the planet (orbital mining station for example). In many of the Elite-like games I've played, the greatest thing I've enjoyed is moving from lowly miner or similar, to trader, to privateer and then as you go, you start to actually own hangars and factories and other things that start to create revenue of their own.. and you just need to manage them.. maybe start hauling resources from other areas back to the factories to make even more profit and so on.
The ability to own/build shops/business on the planets is already a feature of the core game as described on kickstarter and why I backed this project originally. I like your ideas here and they reflect pretty much what I was hoping for. I have voted to own the planets as I think this would be awesome! I dont see why we should be limited to one though. I love games where we can build and expand businesses and my vision for this would be a flexible approach so you can micromanage it if you want, but also be able to hire a "manager" for the shop/business so it takes care of itself (less profits obviously), same for the planets - I suppose we would be the "dictator" but we could hire a team of managers to do the day to day running of things for us whilst we go off to explore other planets to occupy etc. Also we could assign NPC ships to go collect raw materials for our factories etc. - these will take different times as resources need to mind further afield etc, and then need protection ships or something.

So in summary a planet that once we have spent a fair bit of time setting everything up, takes care of itself, at least for a while until some factors play out, such as NPC managers quitting/supply ships being lost etc. We then have to go back and sort the troubles, but have plenty of time to explore the vast galaxy and whatever else the game throws at us along the way.
LTP Fleet Battles on Youtube

Online Now