Return to “Kickstarter Campaign”

What stretch goal would you most like to see?

You may select 1 option

Stretch Goals Poll

Please tell us what stretch goal you would most like to see at the next mark! If you'd like to see something added to the list other than multiplayer or seamless planet landings, please let me know!

Beautiful Planets
I'm not saying that planets aren't going to be interesting in the basic game. But they're not as high-priority as space! If you vote for this goal, I'll make sure to beautify planets: clouds, varied (procedural) vegetation, beautiful atmospheres, water, etc. This doesn't include seamless planetery landings, but it does include a lot of eye candy when you do land!

Cockpits
Every ship comes with a cockpit (procedurally generated, of course). The cockpit will have functioning screens, so the HUD will actually be immersively located on physical components inside the cockpit.

Docking Bays and Carriers
What's a fleet without carriers? When big ships aren't enough, you need small ships inside bigger ships! If this goal is unlocked, I'll include "docking bays" as a component that you can build into your capital ships, which will allow fighters and scout ships to dock with you. If you're piloting a small ship, you'll also be able to dock with friendly carriers that you find in the universe!

Oculus Rift Support
Like porting, Rift support is definitely something that I want to do. But at the moment, there's no guarantee. If you vote for this stretch goal and we hit it, I'll be sure to order my dev kit ASAP and get to work on making LT compatible with the next-gen VR technology!

Procedural Music Generation
As if you didn't already get enough of procedural stuff...let's make the music procedural too, so that each system will have a unique musical piece associated with it! Your ears will never get bored.

Space Station Interiors
Right now, when you dock in a space station, the camera will orbit the station from the outside while you take care of business on the inside. But perhaps you'd like to see what's in there? Increase the immersion of docking in stations by unlocking procedural space station interiors! Of course, this won't include characters or anything like that. But at least you'll get to see different, interesting environments when you dock!

Wormhole Generator
An incredible device that requires enormous amounts of power to sustain, but, when activated, creates a wormhole at the chosen location in space. The destination of the wormhole is unknown: it may take you to a system that you've already found, it may loop back to the same system, or it may link to a system in a distant and completely new region of the universe. This will enable exciting possibilities for wealthy players, as you'll actually be able to modify the connectivity of space. You can, effectively, create permanent links to other systems (although you will not be able to choose the destination, so it's a bit of a grab-bag). Wormholes may well open up great new opportunities for trade and exploration!
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford
Re: Stretch Goals Poll

I voted for Procedural Music Generation because music is the one game making thing I am completely hopeless at and if there can be some kind of music creator one day that perhaps does not require skill in that area...

Also I would be impressed if you could create music procedurally that sounds decent as it is an art form.

Jason Schupfer wrote:I voted for Procedural Music Generation because music is the one game making thing I am completely hopeless at and if there can be some kind of music creator one day that perhaps does not require skill in that area...

Also I would be impressed if you could create music procedurally that sounds decent as it is an art form.
http://joshparnell.com/blog/music-samples/

But that was 3+ years ago when I was but a young grasshopper. Extrapolating, I think I could do a lot better now... :)

Also voted for creating/managing a faction. Though my interest in this feature is, to a large degree, dependent on the breadth and depth of NPC interaction.
I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.

Interesting and somewhat unexpected results so far. Of course the sample size thus far is meaningless.

I still believe though that Linux/Mac support and fully customizable ships (from procedurally generated building blocks, of course) are likely to provide the greatest boost to the funding drive.

JoshParnell wrote:
Jason Schupfer wrote:I voted for Procedural Music Generation because music is the one game making thing I am completely hopeless at and if there can be some kind of music creator one day that perhaps does not require skill in that area...

http://joshparnell.com/blog/music-samples/

But that was 3+ years ago when I was but a young grasshopper. Extrapolating, I think I could do a lot better now... :)

Darn! Just cast my vote (owning planets) before listening, simply stunning music pieces Josh!

One thing I wonder is why seamless landings didn't make the cut for the poll list. I guess it's too costly to become the next stretch goal?
Tom wrote:Interesting and somewhat unexpected results so far. Of course the sample size thus far is meaningless.

I still believe though that Linux/Mac support and fully customizable ships (from procedurally generated building blocks, of course) are likely to provide the greatest boost to the funding drive.
I'd say insufficient rather than meaningless. My past experience with Kickstarter projects tells me that the most vocal groups are often minorities and what is most often demanded on the comment threads is often only of interest to a tiny fraction of the backer community. :)

You're free to believe what you want, but the best would be to direct people from the project page to this poll and then rely on hard data, once more votes get in, rather than on your (or anybody else's) instincts.

Some of those samples are amazing. I think it would be elegant if every aspect of the game, including music, could be procedurally generated and thus unique for each universe ... assuming the PG music doesn't have to be vetted by a human of course, if so then it would still be cool to use it.

(Box art could be human-designed, I suppose ;-)

I voted for Procedural Music Generation as well. It's only fitting to have *everything* in this game created by the computer. Also, the samples (just listen to track no. 10) show a lot of promise, and I for one would love to have each system to have its own distinct soundtrack. OTOH, the Wormhole Generator sounds VERY intriguing indeed. After all, the potential of possibly opening a gate to the other side of the universe is ... mind-staggering!

Josh, maybe you could add Atarun's suggestion to the list and, while you at it, give us the possibility to have two choices? Or make another poll after you determined the first stretch goal?

Atarun wrote:One thing I wonder is why seamless landings didn't make the cut for the poll list. I guess it's too costly to become the next stretch goal?
Tom wrote:Interesting and somewhat unexpected results so far. Of course the sample size thus far is meaningless.

I'd say insufficient rather than meaningless. My past experience with Kickstarter projects tells me that the most vocal groups are often minorities and what is most often demanded on the comment threads is often only of interest to a tiny fraction of the backer community. :)

You're free to believe what you want, but the best would be to direct people from the project page to this poll and then rely on hard data, once more votes get in, rather than on your (or anybody else's) instincts.
This quote from Josh may shed some light as to why seamless landing was not included in the poll:
Indeed, just for everyone speculating on it, seamless planetary landing is a pretty substantial chunk of coding and would require a re-work of several things. It's certainly possible (like everything!), but it will take time, which is, of course, a bit scarce ;) In particular, it would take the most...
As for my own comments, they were merely observations and not advice. I don't know you, and therefore I will interpret your post as being a friendly reply, your tone however seemed a touch abrasive.

Netzbummler wrote:Josh, maybe you could add Atarun's suggestion to the list and, while you at it, give us the possibility to have two choices? Or make another poll after you determined the first stretch goal?
Seamless landing definitely is NOT my suggestion. All I've ever suggested about it is a skip button. ;)

That said, I think the best could be to make a survey on a third-party website and send links to backers through a backer-only update or message to all... Because as it is, only the tiny fraction of backers who regularly read the comments and are willing to subscribe to the forum will vote and that might not be representative enough a sample in the end...

Bloody Kickstarter and their weird rule that only one survey can be made by backer level...

Atarun wrote:One thing I wonder is why seamless landings didn't make the cut for the poll list. I guess it's too costly to become the next stretch goal?
Yes, we're just talking about the next stretch goal at the moment, and seamless landings is too much for this level! If the time comes, I guess we will have to do another poll...which isn't a bad thing :D
Netzbummler wrote:I voted for Procedural Music Generation as well. It's only fitting to have *everything* in this game created by the computer. Also, the samples (just listen to track no. 10) show a lot of promise, and I for one would love to have each system to have its own distinct soundtrack. OTOH, the Wormhole Generator sounds VERY intriguing indeed. After all, the potential of possibly opening a gate to the other side of the universe is ... mind-staggering!

Josh, maybe you could add Atarun's suggestion to the list and, while you at it, give us the possibility to have two choices? Or make another poll after you determined the first stretch goal?
I do think it would be a pretty cool thing to be able to say that "ALL" the assets in the game are generated procedurally... (I guess I would have to study sound synthesis a lot for sound effects...) Track 10 is by far the most amazing track I've ever seen generated by my system. It almost brought tears to my eyes when the second oboe came in!!!

I'm thinking I'll just make another poll after we determine the next stretch goal. Note that the custom ship/station editor is the first, and whatever is voted for here will be the second.

Online Now