Return to “Kickstarter Campaign”

What stretch goal would you most like to see?

You may select 1 option

Re: Stretch Goals Poll

Drillgorg wrote:
Bele wrote:I suggest you read up on the space sim genre in general and LT in particular, and then come back and ask any questions you have left.
Ive read the entirety of the kickstarter and website, is there more somewhere I should read? Those are questions I had having read those things. As for reading up on the genre: why limit the game based on what previous games have done?
You asked if the game was going to have solar systems, if a space sim featuring exploration would have solar systems.
And yes, there are two interviews you should read. Both can be found in kickstarter updates but I'll make this easy for you and link them here as well.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11 ... h-parnell/

http://www.spacegamejunkie.com/featured ... -timiness/
FAQ | Kickstarter | IRC | Common Suggestions

Bele wrote:You asked if the game was going to have solar systems, if a space sim featuring exploration would have solar systems.
And yes, there are two interviews you should read. Both can be found in kickstarter updates but I'll make this easy for you and link them here as well.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11 ... h-parnell/

http://www.spacegamejunkie.com/featured ... -timiness/
Ah, thanks for the further reading! For the record, I asked if it would have complete solar systems, like with a variety of planets and objects that I mentioned. Of course I knew that a game like this is going to have systems with at least a star and habitable planet. I was just hoping it may have more.

If in the event cockpits are added to the game, will you offer some way to remove them for players who don't like them? I personally think that cockpits remove the sense of mystery of who you are dealing with, and so on. That being said I like my space games to be about ships and space, with no human factor implemented.

JoshParnell wrote:I mean, I don't really see why a moon is any different from a planet (conceptually, obviously), so yes, I expect there will be moons?
I'm not sure if this was mentioned before but there could be some sort of form of moon mining? Where you could get special resources that only come from moons with expensive mining equipment :3

And please add seamless planet/space transitions to the stretch goal poll! Or, if this will be easier, seamless space to space station docking bay transitions? ;)
Anything is possible if you can dream it.

TMRNetShark wrote:
AussieMark wrote:I guess its not in there yet but I'd love to see a really high end stretch goal for multiplayer

Will likely not have multiplayer sadly.
Judging from his wording in the FAQ, I think that eventually there will be multiplayer, but Josh said
Will There be Multiplayer Support?

Probably not at release. The way that I've structured the codebase so far is not conducive to multiplayer support, and it would require a significant overhaul to allow it. For now, I'd like to concentrate on really good single-player gameplay!
So we might see it as a patch/update post-release. After all, even the vast and varied expanse of deep space will lose some appeal if you play it all alone. I think that for the sake of longevity he'll work on it at some point, but it's understandable that his main goal is just to lay the singleplayer groundwork and build off of that.

Hell, the earliest versions of Minecraft were singleplayer only, and I believe it wasn't 'til Infdev that Notch added multiplayer. That said, Minecraft has had a very different development cycle compared to most games, but Minecraft was more-or-less considered a game at that point, even if rather small compared to what it is now.

TL;DR: Wait and see. Multiplayer might come, it might not. But I personally think it probably will.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

A quote from his kickstarter about multiplayer.

"Not likely. If we exceed our goal by a significant amount, it's possible that I will announce multiplayer support as a far-off stretch goal, but I don't anticipate reaching it. I need to make sure that I can complete LT in a reasonable amount of time...and, realistically, adding multiplayer would increase the development time by a significant amount!"

So maybe like at half a million we might get it as a stretch goal or maybe more. lol
I've said it before but I'd love me some co-op. Don't care much for multiplayer or lan but they are one in the same.

To clarify on multiplayer:

The issue with implementing multiplayer in the first LT game is that the game has not been built around interfacing with any other clients, making it unable to support connections to other instances of the game and thus incapable of communicating the necessary information to create a multiplayer environment - local or otherwise. In order to make client interactions possible, Josh would have to re-code a substantial portion of the game, which he simply does not have time to achieve. As such, he has said he will consider it for LT2 but it is really not an option in LT1 if LT1 is to make it anywhere near the desired released window.

Post-release modification to add multiplayer functionality would also be substantially problematic to integrate; you would almost have to have a separate game client for multiplayer vs single player in order to preserve the stability/coherence of the single player saves. It's possible, but not highly likely; the effort could instead be applied toward starting to build LT2 with multiplayer already integrated into the development process.

Basically, LT1 has a very high chance of never being multiplayer, but LT2 has a similarly high chance of having multiplayer included from the start. :)
I am 42.

Outlancer wrote:wormholes, those mysterious portals to unknown reaches, o i would love wormhole generators
i would love them a bit more if you could (say by building another gate/generator....thing (2x the cost of just building a door and falling out the exit) i would love to love wormholes but unless we had the ability to controll the linking between them i just cant. now discovering wormholes that formed naturaly would be cool. but to invest in creating a door that could literally drop you 2-3 planets away dosent sound like a solid investment.

for me the best case senerio would be something along the lines of.
1.you can find natural wormholes in space as you fly. (sensors some kind of graphic or other distortion)
2.you can make your own gateways and link them but doing so is explicitly expensive.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

TMRNetShark wrote:Okay, who saw the trade lanes... Josh? You are basically making Freelancer 2.

Thank you, good sir. You are doing the world a great service. :)
Shhhh, I don't want to get sued ;) ..they are called "acceleration gates" ...and Freelancer!? Never heard of it. What's that? Some website where you get a job??
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:
TMRNetShark wrote:Okay, who saw the trade lanes... Josh? You are basically making Freelancer 2.

Thank you, good sir. You are doing the world a great service. :)
Shhhh, I don't want to get sued ;) ..they are called "acceleration gates" ...and Freelancer!? Never heard of it. What's that? Some website where you get a job??

You can call 'em hula hoops for all I care... you are making a game that I still play to this day (and have wanted and yearned for a sequel of). You know how many mods I played with Freelancer? Enough to the point where I had absolute fun in the Omega systems, collecting alien artifacts... and then somehow smuggling them into Manhattan (best fun I've had in a game). Good profit too!

Online Now