Return to “Kickstarter Campaign”

What stretch goal would you most like to see?

You may select 1 option

Re: Stretch Goals Poll

JoshParnell wrote:
Jason Schupfer wrote: Some really nice music you generated there and some of it would be appropriate for space sim and also for other games.

Currently I use http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/ for my royalty free music in my game as he just requires a mention in credits. Had you thought of offering up your generated music in a similar way ?
Thanks! And no, I had not thought of that...I honestly would not think that it is of high enough quality to be of use to most people in the current state. But if I take another shot at it in the future and end up getting better results (which I suspect I would), I suspect I would release the tracks for royalty-free use.
Cool, so one day, fingers crossed. I could make use of it in background music.

voted for the Wormhole Generator.
my close next up to vote wins would have been Ability to Own / Manage Planets and the Cockpits.

i loved the PG music but im hedging a bet that its a lock for the game whether i vote for it or not.
---
with a PG Cockpits if its organized oddly would we be able to re-org it a little?
in Wing Commander Privateer i got used to the cockpit HUD of a mid-range ship, upgraded to a new ship, loved the ship didnt love the HUD changes (ate up too much screen real estate).

the samples of the PG music helped my understanding but i dont know how a PG cockpit could/would possibly end up like. if theres a 2nd round of voting for the stretch goal afterwards maybe an extra one liner on some of the PG possibilities in how it would effect the cockpit/HUDs. perhaps im just over-thinking the whole deal. many will vote for the cockpit POV regardless so mayhaps ill see it firsthand @ release time.
---
with the possible wormhole generation hopefully its just the cost prohibition that limits it.
id love to find a good hub sector/galaxy and build up some credits in game, then spam a bunch of worm holes within that profit galaxy (wormhole nexus hub) and see where it all leads to to maximize trading and exploration.

perhaps after a successful return trip to and from a wormhole it gets labeled textually from both sides/marker buoy or something.
should wormhole generation even make the final cut. ^_^

You know, I have been thinking about this and I realized that owning/managing your own planet, while it sounds totally awesome, could possibly break the game's economy for the player, like one of those games where they don't balance this well (assassin's creed 2 immediately comes to mind), and you'll get to this point where you have way more money then you'd ever possibly need, so some actions and features of the game become kinda meaningless.

though managing and economics is not the core gameplay of LT(that would be exploring imo), but still... of course it all depends on how Josh ends up implementing something like this, though I wish I had voted for cockpits instead :( or perhaps procedural music, that sounds badass.

Henrique Vignon wrote:You know, I have been thinking about this and I realized that owning/managing your own planet, while it sounds totally awesome, could possibly break the game's economy for the player, like one of those games where they don't balance this well (assassin's creed 2 immediately comes to mind), and you'll get to this point where you have way more money then you'd ever possibly need, so some actions and features of the game become kinda meaningless.

though managing and economics is not the core gameplay of LT(that would be exploring imo), but still... of course it all depends on how Josh ends up implementing something like this, though I wish I had voted for cockpits instead :( or perhaps procedural music, that sounds badass.
If you owned a planet then you would arguably be a faction (a single planet faction, but nevertheless) and have to defend your territory against rivals. Plus, having a whole planetary population agree that you own their homeworld might be a difficult and costly state-of-affairs to maintain! It might be better to have planetary control take place within faction-oriented gameplay.

Matthew Cason wrote:I'm astonished how much response the poll has got! Over 20% of all backers have voted, at least going by the numbers.
Wow, cool stat...you're right! Looks like people care :D
Zenton Karvash wrote:I tend to agree the two features seem as if they would be connected with one another. That said voted for owning a faction as conquering things comes naturally :)
Hmmm...yeah...I think you guys are right about that. So what do you want to do, make faction creation the first goal, and then planetary ownership another goal beyond that? Or should I try to package them up as one (and turn most of my hair gray before hitting the age of 23)?
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:Hmmm...yeah...I think you guys are right about that. So what do you want to do, make faction creation the first goal, and then planetary ownership another goal beyond that? Or should I try to package them up as one (and turn most of my hair gray before hitting the age of 23)?
I would think you would want to own/control a planet before creating a faction.

1.) Build a space station for trade and to process the resources you develop on the planet
2.) Once you reach a set level of commerce claim the planet in cooperation with other miners using the same planet
3.) At much higher level of commerce organize a faction with other planets

Obviously there are many other scenarios that would work, but this is what came to mind off the top of my head

JoshParnell wrote:...So what do you want to do, make faction creation the first goal, and then planetary ownership another goal beyond that? Or should I try to package them up as one (and turn most of my hair gray before hitting the age of 23)?
Split them into two goals, you will most likely hit them both (and then several after that too) :D

I do agree with dcasteel though, there is likely a logical progression that puts planetary ownership before faction creation. Although... a faction is a collection of players (npcs and maybe you), you would just have to have the factions have territories that included planets/solar systems and that would give you a simple mechanic for ownership without planetary ownership for individuals.

... With the reach goals, will the more successful the game is on Kickstarter increase the development time?
I Pledged: $45 - BLACK FRIDAY BETA
Linux user. Crafter/Trader.

JoshParnell wrote:Jeez...planets and factions are neck and neck!!! Exciting :geek:
Because, Mr. Parnell, everyone wants to be Emperor Palpatine in charge of a Galactic Empire spanning a million worlds. That being said, I voted for planets first - I have always been an X3 station-owning fan, and planets... that is just a delicious idea.
LT's resident storytelling fighter pilot.

Matthew Cason wrote:Planets and stations should beget factions, yep. Could even stipulate that a player must control x amount of planets before establishing a faction. On a galactic scale, anything significant to be counted a viable faction should have a considerable presence out amongst the stars.
Ah, but the above should only apply to forming a political or military faction. What about forming trade federations?

Actually, I think the threshold for forming factions should be very high indeed. However, I would prefer if there was also the possibility of joining an existing faction and then climbing up the hierarchy to a dominant or possibly controlling position within it. In which case the barrier to entry should be considerably lower.
JoshParnell wrote:Hmmm...yeah...I think you guys are right about that. So what do you want to do, make faction creation the first goal, and then planetary ownership another goal beyond that? Or should I try to package them up as one (and turn most of my hair gray before hitting the age of 23)?
I support the idea of having them as separate stretch goals, though they could be presented together. I rather think that both will be met. As far as the workload, have you given any thought to farming out some of the coding work if your funding reaches a given target?
I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.

Online Now