Return to “Kickstarter Campaign”

The Custom Edition

I could not find any more information on the $1000 Custom Edition of Limit Theory so I'll ask here. How far are you willing to go on the custom version? The description says a "small-to-medium feature" and that you are willing to extend the code by a few thousand lines. Those of us ignorant in C++ aren't sure what this entails. For example, could I request an unachieved stretch goal for my custom edition? Such as clean transitions between space and planets? Or maybe even creating/managing my own faction? How about something like re-texturing a high res version for my hungry 7990? Is it only simple things, like a specially named planet or a custom ship decal? How far does this go? Thanks for reading and I appreciate any answer.
Re: The Custom Edition

LazyHimPig wrote:I could not find any more information on the $1000 Custom Edition of Limit Theory so I'll ask here. How far are you willing to go on the custom version? The description says a "small-to-medium feature" and that you are willing to extend the code by a few thousand lines. Those of us ignorant in C++ aren't sure what this entails. For example, could I request an unachieved stretch goal for my custom edition? Such as clean transitions between space and planets? Or maybe even creating/managing my own faction? How about something like re-texturing a high res version for my hungry 7990? Is it only simple things, like a specially named planet or a custom ship decal? How far does this go? Thanks for reading and I appreciate any answer.
Hi! Yes, sorry it's a bit hard to say precisely, but I can give you some examples. The stretch goals would be considered "large" features, as they take a significant amount of dev work to implement. So owning factions or planets, if we don't achieve them in stretch goals, is probably out of the question. Think just a bit smaller than that, but bigger than a custom decal or specially-named planet. Seamless planetary landings is too big of a feature (I'm reluctant to even announce that as a stretch goal because it's so big).

Yes, higher-res textures could be done. But that would almost be too small. It's hard to say exactly what the right size for this feature would be...it's much easier to say yes or no when you name features!

Maybe, for example, you'd like to introduce a certain new type of weapon into the game. Perhaps you want a "chain-lightning" type gun. That would be fairly easy, and perhaps you could request another small thing as well. Maybe you'd like to be able to buy a device that "hacks" ships and allows you to control enemy NPCs for a short amount of time. Maybe you'd like to change the look of asteroids, planets, nebulae, whatever (bigger? smaller? darker? lighter?) You could suggest a bunch of such aesthetic tweaks.

If you have more questions concerning whether certain ideas would be feasible or not, feel free to let me know, again, it's a bit hard to enumerate a list of examples!
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford
Re: The Custom Edition

Anything that basically branches off the existing framework would likely be possible for this.. so like Josh says, a lightning or plasma weapon that has different properties than anything else in the game.. such as an EMP effect or some kind of draining or electrical damage to components etc. The combat system is already there.. the basic weapon systems already there.. the mounted weapons already there and so on.. but the branching off of that to make something unique is probably possible. Or anything like those mentioned by Josh.. but the idea is that it's soemthing that would ideally link in with existing systems so that the extra work to make the thing possible isn't over the top.

Online Now