Return to “Kickstarter Campaign”

Re: Mac OS X version?

Josh wrote on the Home Page of the Kickstarter campaign:
Will it be on Mac/Linux?

If we hit the stretch goal, then yes, definitely! Otherwise, I will make porting an immediate priority after release, but cannot guarantee a Mac/Linux port. However, the codebase is completely portable, so I wouldn't anticipate any problems doing so.
In his budget cutdown (Update #1) he wrote:
$5K Development Equipment ~ Unfortunately, I do need some new equipment. In particular, I will need to replace my laptop with one that is suitable for serious development. In addition, I would like to purchase an Oculus Rift dev kit, in the hopes of including Rift support in LT. Finally, I will also need to purchase a Mac-based machine so that I can work on porting.
Answering a comment 8 hours ago, he wrote:
@Julian - To be realistic, I don't think the alpha will be available on Mac OS even if we manage to create and hit such a stretch goal. The beta, on the other hand, will most likely be on Mac if we do, because porting will almost certainly have occurred at that stage in the development process.
With all that, I think there's a good chance you'll be able to get your Mac version. :ugeek:

That said, if you want it as soon as possible, I suggest you try to get as many people as possible to pledge to the campaign, so as to hit the yet unannounced stretch goal. ;)

If as Josh said it works smoothly on his HD graphics laptop then it would also work smoothly if ported well to high end Android and ipad tablets.

Obviously that is not on the cards for launch, but hoping one day...

It would be cool to be lying back in the sofa playing this on a tablet :)

Jason Schupfer wrote:If as Josh said it works smoothly on his HD graphics laptop then it would also work smoothly if ported well to high end Android and ipad tablets.

Obviously that is not on the cards for launch, but hoping one day...

It would be cool to be lying back in the sofa playing this on a tablet :)
The problem with porting to tablets is not technical requirements, though. It's input.
I don't know how much emphasis will be put on the keyboard in LT's interface, but if it's impossible to play with just the mouse, then it's going to be near impossible to port the game to tablets.

That said, Josh mentioned potentially supporting controllers, so we could dream of a console version to play on the sofa someday, right?

I develop for tablets and it can be done on tablets as they have five finger touch sensitivity. It is just about design, but certainly I know it is possible. You can have on screen buttons also certainly on tablets there is room for that.

Also gestures can be used.

In the world of tech and programming perhaps to say impossible is more like better to say I don't know how that would be done.

Jason Schupfer wrote:I develop for tablets and it can be done on tablets as they have five finger touch sensitivity. It is just about design, but certainly I know it is possible. You can have on screen buttons also certainly on tablets there is room for that.

Also gestures can be used.

In the world of tech and programming perhaps to say impossible is more like better to say I don't know how that would be done.
I thank you for jumping on the opportunity to patronize me. It's so pleasant and constructive. Makes me feel welcome and appreciated, really.

You might want to actually read what I wrote:
I don't know how much emphasis will be put on the keyboard in LT's interface, but if it's impossible to play with just the mouse, then it's going to be near impossible to port the game to tablets.
I mentioned the emphasis on keyboard in the interface and said "near impossible."
Old-school PC games tend to use every key and key combination out there. They can be adapted to tablets, but that requires a whole re-engineering of the interface, which is not what I would call porting myself.

Take the first Prince of Persia in 3D (not the very old 2D ones). I had a hard time going through the tutorial because it kept throwing new keys at me...
Nowadays most AAA games are console-oriented and thus controller-compatible, which severely restricts the number of keys to be used. Many AAA game development teams seem to think that porting a console game to PC requires very little adaptation: they demand a controller or just link controller buttons to keys haphazardly... It's pretty frustrating to play a game with a keyboard and be told "press RT"...

So, just to be clear: of course it's not impossible to adapt the game to tablets. Obviously not. But the amount of reengineering and work required will depend heavily on the reliance of the PC interface on the keyboard. Since Josh said he was considering controllers, I assume he won't associate every possible action with a key (note that keyboard shortcut are a different kind of beast, if they are just an alternative to another input command, such as clicking a button somewhere), the way they used to in PC games of yesteryear.

Still, it might be complex to adapt the interface to touch screens. It might. It depends on the interface, of which I have seen nothing yet and about which I've read very little.

There, now, do you want to discuss LT or would you rather debate my personal abilities which are none of your concern?

Online Now