Return to “Kickstarter Campaign”

Re: High End Stretch Goals

I know multiplayer has been talked about in so many different places, but there may be another option in this space that is more doable.

From my understanding the main multiplayer issue would be around multiple players being within the same system at the same time, if this was removed from being possible then a form of multiplayer could happen. What another player is doing in the next door system, or a system a few jumps away, should have basically the same impact on my game in the system I am currently in as if it was an NPC doing the deed.

A lot of interesting possibilities would be available - although without direct combat - e.g.:
* player X leaving an NPC ambush in a system for player Y
* trade through third party NPC's

Can I suggest a new idea.

No high end silly expensive stretch goal.

Instead a different option is for Josh to take the money to allow him to develop for far longer or employ someone to develop for longer. The money would allow for a minecraft like development cycle and hopefully a more active community who can constantly chat / vote about where they want the game to develop. This will allow the game critical path and multiple new features to be added, instead of going off in crazy directions that the majority of backers would not be interested in.

Jambo wrote:Can I suggest a new idea.

No high end silly expensive stretch goal.

Instead a different option is for Josh to take the money to allow him to develop for far longer or employ someone to develop for longer. The money would allow for a minecraft like development cycle and hopefully a more active community who can constantly chat / vote about where they want the game to develop. This will allow the game critical path and multiple new features to be added, instead of going off in crazy directions that the majority of backers would not be interested in.
Well this is pretty much what Josh is doing by having the stretch goals be free post-release updates.
FAQ | Kickstarter | IRC | Common Suggestions

I have now collected together the main ideas and listed them at the beginning of this thread.

Notable mentions are other methods of including voices in the game:
- insolent viewtopic.php?f=5&t=144
- Markyparky56 viewtopic.php?f=5&t=203

I am somewhat surprised that there does not seem to be more discussion of idea No. 3 i.e. including some non-procedural content, nor any response from Josh as far as I can see. Perhaps I am just being a retard with the search facility.
-- Beetle

Beetle wrote:I have now collected together the main ideas and listed them at the beginning of this thread.

Notable mentions are other methods of including voices in the game:
- insolent viewtopic.php?f=5&t=144
- Markyparky56 viewtopic.php?f=5&t=203

I am somewhat surprised that there does not seem to be more discussion of idea No. 3 i.e. including some non-procedural content, nor any response from Josh as far as I can see. Perhaps I am just being a retard with the search facility.
The main point of the pitch is all the content being procedural, I'm surprised there is as much discussion as there is.
FAQ | Kickstarter | IRC | Common Suggestions

I see now that the KS project looks like it's going to get about $155k, so this thread is basically pointless now. But Josh tells us that he likes reading suggestions (as I'm sure I would in his position) so at least that's something. And who doesn't like a good discussion?

Incidentally, I'd like it if someone – anyone – would respond to my suggestion of a tutorial system, which also serves as a handicap for recently respawned players. Did I post it in the wrong place? I described it here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=170&start=20#p2444
-- Beetle

In particular, a number of people who have clicked the "Remind me later" button previously will now be, well, reminded here in the last couple of days, so there could be a significant boost from that. On the other hand, just before Christmas might not be the best time for spending extra cash, so we'll see how it goes. But I would expect crossing $167K is far from unlikely.

Online Now