Return to “Technical”

Re: Nebulae

From what we have seen I can guess that there will be "Nebulae" systems with high amount of dust particles to really give you the feeling of flying through one.

But I don't think you can see them from other systems or from the "outside" so to speak. The Nebulae you see far away are probably just procedurally generated (random) background.

Hello again!
I was thinking that, and that if you were to enter the cloud you would gain maybe a damage debuff and a stealth buff (damage based on speed) like

Code: Select all

while(running)
boolean isnebbuffcalculated = false;
if (IsInNebula()) {
if (!iscnebbuffalculated){
stealth+=.5;
isnesbuffcalculated=true;
}
health -=(speed*0001);
} else {
isnebbuffcalculated = false;
}
public boolean IsInNebula(vector3f gascloud) {
for(int i =0;i<vector3f.length/*or whatever length is in vectors*/,i+=3/*skips points*/) {
for(int j =0;j<vector3f.length/*or whatever length is in vectors*/,j+=3/*skips points*/) {
//cast point from j and i and if it intersects ships return true else return false
}
}
}
Id imagine this is what it would look like roughly :ugeek:
IVE BEEN OUT OF MY MIND A LONG TIME

You know Sly, that's something that I don't know if it's taken into consideration.

If a nebula is just extra dust particles, it only effectively harms the player, as the AI doesn't have a concept of dust or visibility when dealing with their scanners. I know Josh mentioned that he was working with scanners, but I wonder if there is a connection yet between the scanners/visibility and what you actually see.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Yes, I do anticipate including dust density as a factor that influences sensor range. It will be a pretty easy thing once I finally implement dust correctly. It should also affect AI visibility, although I am having performance issues with AIs and the knowledge / sensor system at the moment.

Background nebulae are 2D cubemaps, but there is volumetric "dust" in the game to simulate the thick innards of a nebula.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

It's quite pretty, but it looks like atmospheric rain clouds which is kind of weird looking compared to the wispy nature of vacuum surrounded nebulae.
woops, my bad, everything & anything actually means specific and conformed

DWMagus wrote:You know Sly, that's something that I don't know if it's taken into consideration.

If a nebula is just extra dust particles, it only effectively harms the player, as the AI doesn't have a concept of dust or visibility when dealing with their scanners. I know Josh mentioned that he was working with scanners, but I wonder if there is a connection yet between the scanners/visibility and what you actually see.
i know this is an old post, but i was reading through the whole thing and wanted to throw my opinion out there.
i know the npc doesnt have a concept of visibiliity in the way of dust and particles, but dont we also have the same potential with our holographic visuals? in the #16 update video i saw josh turning on and off a target reticle, for all targets in range. couldnt we use that when our visibility gets low?
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg."
- Bjarne Stroustrup

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems."
- Paul Erdos (1913-1996)

DWMagus wrote: If a nebula is just extra dust particles, it only effectively harms the player, as the AI doesn't have a concept of dust or visibility when dealing with their scanners. I know Josh mentioned that he was working with scanners, but I wonder if there is a connection yet between the scanners/visibility and what you actually see.
i really hope that nebulas obscure sensor reads, else they would really ony harm the player

How dense should nebulae be, both visually and to sensors?

Should LT include nebulae that -- assuming this is technically feasible -- are so visually dense that you can barely see past your cockpit?

What about being so dense that sensors can't get stable readings (and constant lock-ons) beyond 200-300 meters or so?

Assuming it's not common, would that be an occasionally interesting kind of fun for most people, supporting different tactics as well as stealth play? Or would most players find it annoying to be in a location that interrupts normal play?

Online Now