Return to “Technical”

MULTICORED, hyper threading, and multithreading

is this game written to be hyper threaded, multithreaded, and use multiple core? because with games likes this it should be able to use however many cores it needs and are available to it. if it needs 1 core at the moment it should only use that 1 core as needed and efficiently and effectively. same with 2 or 5 or 10 (world generation) or 100 cpu cores ( i doubt this game will need more than 2-10.)

if the game needs to process a battle that spans from 50 ships to 1000 or more (in our dreams) that's right next to you, how many cpu cores does it need and will use to generate such instance as quickly and efficiently as possible?

how well does the game do overall with core usage and how well does it switch from 1 core (when there is much going on at all such as you being in a barren system) to using 2 or more cores? (world generation, physics calculations, world gen, battles, formations, etc.)
Re: MULTICORED, hyper threading, and multithreading

Theoretically, LT can now run on as many cores as you throw at it, and will be correspondingly faster/more densely packed in doing so. But how good it is at that, and how effective splitting the game across numerous cores actually is? That remains to be seen. Personally I'd like there to be the possibility for dynamic and flexible use of however many cores are available at a given moment, especially if you're connected to a network. I'd love to see dedicated Worldgen servers, that just constantly churn out enormous, detailed worlds with long histories that you could access from a client either by downloading the universe, or just jumping into it live.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can
Re: MULTICORED, hyper threading, and multithreading

Ooh, I'm so building my 16 core Linux out now, thanks for the idea Hyperion :ghost:
Hyperion wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:09 am
Theoretically, LT can now run on as many cores as you throw at it, and will be correspondingly faster/more densely packed in doing so. But how good it is at that, and how effective splitting the game across numerous cores actually is? That remains to be seen. Personally I'd like there to be the possibility for dynamic and flexible use of however many cores are available at a given moment, especially if you're connected to a network. I'd love to see dedicated Worldgen servers, that just constantly churn out enormous, detailed worlds with long histories that you could access from a client either by downloading the universe, or just jumping into it live.
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Online Now