Return to “Technical”

Pure Data

So I was doing a little research into procedurally generated music recently. In particular I'd love to find some simple software that lets me 1) easily specify voices and note velocity/duration over MIDI, and 2) write simple programs to generate notes, harmonies, counterpoints, and themes to be performed by MIDI-connected hardware (synths, kits) and software (DAWs).

I'm not sure I've sound that yet, but I did find Pure Data (Pd). And I mention it here partly because of the music tech aspect, but partly because their description of it reminded me of something Josh has talked about:
Pure Data is an open source visual programming environment that ... enables musicians, visual artists, performers, researchers, and developers to create software graphically without writing lines of code. ... It is suitable for learning basic multimedia processing and visual programming methods as well as for realizing complex systems for large-scale projects.

Among other things, it looks like Pd was used to do generative music in Spore and Darkspore. But it's the idea that this is a general visual programming system that got my attention.

Has anyone here poked around with this yet?
Re: Pure Data

I haven't poked around with pure data, but I have seen an interesting program along these lines. Chuck is basically a programming language for making musical notes and midi files. Another one to do this is Scribbletune. And there's a demonstration video of scribbletune which is pretty cool.
A life well lived only happens once.
Seems deep until you think about it.
Re: Pure Data

vector67 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:27 am
I haven't poked around with pure data, but I have seen an interesting program along these lines. Chuck is basically a programming language for making musical notes and midi files. Another one to do this is Scribbletune. And there's a demonstration video of scribbletune which is pretty cool.

I'll have to check these out. Thanks for the references!

(Have I mentioned lately what a great community this is?)

Online Now